• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Is Anthony Gose any good?
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
I am not that familiar with this guy, is he a top prospect type or just expected to be an avg. player at best? Any info on his skills, is he a CF (how is his defensive ability)? Looks like if the mets/jays make a trade he will be included, hopefully not the center piece.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • DFAB
He has potential. Basically right now, he has speed. His hitting would definitely need to improve.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546377.3 through 546377.4 were deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
well hopefully the mets also get D'Arnouad as well since they are giving up a cy young starting pitcher in Dickey. Sandy needs to hold out until he gets what he wants.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • TheChosen1

I'll try to keep this short. Here's a list of all of Gose's qualities:

Speed

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • chrisanity27
defense, speed and arm are all plus plus tools. Pitched in High school and has been clocked as high as 97. His hit tool is a definate project. His swing is longer than ideal. I think a pretty good comparison is Juan Pierre with more pop......and way better d. That is if his contact rate improves....worst case scenario he is an asset with his glove and on the bases but if he continues to k at a high rate being a regular could be challening. Kind of boom or bust depending on the maturation of the bat.

Edited 12/15/12   by  chrisanity27
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • sheadro
From my understanding he is one of your classic raw athletic guys who has all the defensive/speed tools but needs to develop the hitting tools. He'd be a great get but too high risk as the center piece. Guys like that are hard to project. Think Carlos Gomez
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • cjct
so plus defense, plus arm, and he has always had a respectable OBP in the minors. 350ish and he 22 years old! He would be a very welcomed pickup to start at CF and the 2nd piece to the trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • eastvisitr
Really raw but big upside. Plus speed, defense, and arm. As previous posters alluded to strikes out too much. Even if he doesnt hit he'll provide value in the field and if he improves at the plate he could be very good.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • kinerskrnr
Isn't the point to get a hitter though? I'm just saying I wouldn't understand if he was the main piece in the trade if he can't even hit.

Edited 12/15/12   by  kinerskrnr
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • bentallet
Wayyy to young to be in the majors last year. They spent the whole year before not letting him have a 2 strike approach and not allowing him to bunt for hits... It was all about him developing his power. He needs a full year of triple a to refine his approach.... god though it would $uck to see him back in vegas.... Maybe he good do it at the big league level. Defensively he is major league ready and has a cannon for an arm. Think a young Carl Crawford.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • trigg3r
He is one of those toolsy type prospects. The type I am always very skeptical of. The Mets getting d'Arnaud would soften the blow. I really think they should shoot for Syndergaard. JMO
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • trigg3r
Vegas is a horrible place to get an accurate measurement on players as well. It is a hitter's paradise.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • sheadro
That's why I don't believe he is the main target. Sandy has held firm on demanding 2 very good ML ready prospects. One elite, one very good. Hmmmm so what could the Blue Jays give us? Maybe an elite catching prospect and a very good center field prospect?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • docguden16

* Speed - Two seasons in the minors he exceeded 70 SB
* Good glove in CF with great range
* Improvement in OBP
* Has shown limited power potential (16 HR in AA ball)
* Arbitration clock just started ticking... under team control until 2019
* Was rated 39th best prospect in MLB pre-2012 (too many AB's at the MLB level to be listed as a prospect heading into 2013)

Keeping the above in mind... he's only 22 years old.

As a second piece of a trade to the Mets (assuming the centerpiece is d'Arnaud) this potentially could be a very nice addition.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • chrisanity27
still seems like an overpay unless theres more coming back. jmo....Granted i'm very high on D'Arnaud and a jays fan so perhaps im not entirely impartial. Dickey is great but if he had more controllable years attached to him, along with a a lower numerical age this might be a fair package. I'm praying that its JPA coming back along with Gose. Gose stings but losing Travis would burn. He's gonna be a complete player and difference maker i believe.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546377.18 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • jsmet
His stats look average. With no power
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • docguden16

Hit 16 HR in 2011 AA ball... as a 20 year old.

Compare that to our best positional prospect Flores: Flores hit 18 HR as a 20 year old split between A and AA ball.

• Reply to this Message