• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Would you have traded Dickey and Niese for the KC package?
  • To:All
  • 12/13/12
  • stearnsy12
if we had somehow picked up extra pitching in another deal would you have made that deal?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 4545_ajd
No
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • stearnsy12
or do you think packaging Niese and Dickey could have gotten us Profar,Olt and maybe L Martin and another lesser prospect?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • jsmet
No not both
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • gomets66
i dont know. i would try and have some sort of plan for the team going forward though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • stearnsy12
somewhere in MLBTR a reporter (Martino??) said it would have taken Niese and Wheeler to get that package back
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates

I would have tried Dickey and Gee and done that in a heartbeat. Dickey and Niese I would have had to think about it, but I still would have done it.

So, yes.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • stearnsy12
if we were dealing from a position of a little more pitching depth i think i would have done it too....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
If we were actually going to spend some of the $20+ million off of last year's payroll I wouldn't even have given it a second thought since you could have taken the $8 million saved from Dickey and Niese and signed a starter like Haren, Dempster, Jackson, etc. and still had $15 million left.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • stearnsy12

i think Odorizzi would step in right away and be a starter for us and Myers would be out in the OF on Opening Day too....

so you'd have Santana,Odorizzi,Harvey,Gee,Mejia with Wheeler coming and Myers added to our starting lineup

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • metthunder
KC is said to have wanted Niese and Wheeler. I think KC was f'ing with the Mets
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • fargol
Dempster's lifetime stats are pretty much the same as Pelfrey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • spydermet
No.
First, we didn't get additional pitching first.
Next, Dickey/ Neise is more talented than Shields/ Wade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • alex8686
No I wouldn't. Too often people are seduced by prospects. Most of the time they don't work out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/14/12
  • Gepett0

i also would have done dickey and gee but i would not have done dickey and niese

thats just a lot of weight to place on the shoulders of harvey and wheeler, asking them to straight up be THE guys if santana is closer the second half version we saw last year than the first

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/14/12
  • stearnsy12

but that's why the proposed deal was framed with the provision that we'd gotten pitching depth in another deal

and i agree that Dickey/Niese might be more talented than Shields and Davis although it appears that other teams don't view our pitchers as we view our pitchers

Edited 12/14/12   by  stearnsy12
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/14/12
  • stearnsy12

again,a deal like this would have only been possible if we were able to obtain pitching depth in another deal

the only reason Tampa Bay could do this deal is because they had so many starters to deal from

but once again we come back to the real problem with our team: lack of talent and lack of depth and little in the way of building it up

somewhere along the line we had to bite the bullet and make the decision to try to get younger and deeper but we pretty much stayed the course for whatever reason

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/14/12
  • skorpio520
nah, dickey/niese is better then sheilds/davis
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/14/12
  • stearnsy12

i agree with that,but i think Dickey being 38 and a FA after '13 is playing a huge role in terms of what teams are willing to give up in terms of prospects and we have to be realistic about that

looking at talent in a vacuum? Dickey/Niese is a better package than Shields/Davis

taking into consideration age and RA's contract status? that changes the perspective IMO

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/14/12
  • skorpio520
yeah,i can def see that point of veiw
  • Reply to this Message