• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• well if the Mets are upset at Dickey then we shold be upset
  • To:All
  • 12/13/12
  • nycthusky
They are upset that Dickey thinks he is getting low balled? PLEASE. we are upset that they keep lying to us and continue to not spend money. The gig is over Jeffy.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546253.2 was deleted
  • 12/13/12
  • nycthusky
KOOL AID !!!! so cool
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • metsheart

from nbcsports.com hardball talk 2010:

"According to Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News, the agent for veteran shortstop Derek Jeter is hoping for more years and far more money than what the Yankees’ most recent contract proposal will provide.

“There’s a reason the Yankees themselves have stated Derek Jeter is their modern-day Babe Ruth. Derek’s significance to the team is much more than just stats,” said agent Casey Close. “And yet, the Yankees’ negotiating strategy remains baffling. They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek’s total contribution to their franchise.”

"Reports last week had Jeter seeking a contract of at least four years and preferably five or six. A deal is going to get done between the two sides — that’s pretty much a sure thing — but it’s become apparent that negotiations are not going to be completely pleasant and that “the captain” is not going to be handed a blank check."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL teams play hardball in contract negotiations. Even Yanks w/ Captain Jeter.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates

From NBC Sports Hardball Talk today.

The Mets accuse R.A. Dickey of “becoming too absorbed with his new celebrity”

Craig Calcaterra

Dec 12, 2012, 4:44 PM EST

We’ve noted all the back and forth between R.A. Dickey and the Mets. It’s a hard negotiation. The part that tickles me the most is where, yesterday, the Mets made it clear that they were not pleased by Dickey going after the Mets in the press. Because they’d never do that, right?

"The Mets, meanwhile, have mounting concerns whether all of Dickey’s off-the-field endeavors could impact his on-field results or his standing in the clubhouse if the perception is that he has become too absorbed with his new celebrity."

Congratulations, Mets: not only are you trashing your own player — the most popular one on the team, mind you — but you’re just <friggin’> wrong about it.

Because while, yes, Dickey has been in the news a lot lately, it’s not like he’s out there attention whoring and becoming a diva or anything. Unless you count doing things like raising awareness of child sexual abuse as him becoming “absorbed with his new celebrity.”

Hey Mets: because Dickey is 38 and because he still has a year on his contract at a low rate, you have the advantage in the actual negotiation. But you’re not going to win the P.R. war with Dickey, guys, and you have no reason whatsoever to get involved in one, so cut it out.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546253.6 was deleted
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates

An unnamed source? I thought you didn't like unnamed sources?

If the offer is fair and Dickey's not worth any more than Jeremy Guthrie how do the Mets justify demanding two top prospects in return?

Either he's worth market value or he isn't worth two prospects. Hiroki Kuroda, also a 38 year-old pitcher got $15 million.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • metsheart

from nbcsports.com hardball talk 2010:

"According to Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News, the agent for veteran shortstop Derek Jeter is hoping for more years and far more money than what the Yankees’ most recent contract proposal will provide.

“There’s a reason the Yankees themselves have stated Derek Jeter is their modern-day Babe Ruth. Derek’s significance to the team is much more than just stats,” said agent Casey Close. “And yet, the Yankees’ negotiating strategy remains baffling. They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek’s total contribution to their franchise.”

"Reports last week had Jeter seeking a contract of at least four years and preferably five or six. A deal is going to get done between the two sides — that’s pretty much a sure thing — but it’s become apparent that negotiations are not going to be completely pleasant and that “the captain” is not going to be handed a blank check."

Jeter's agent Casey Close said "the Yankees’ negotiating strategy remains baffling. They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek’s total contribution to their franchise.”

"it’s become apparent that negotiations are not going to be completely pleasant"

ALL teams play hardball in contract negotiations. Both sides take their case to the media. Both sides try to use whatever leverage they have. Even Yanks did it w/ Captain Jeter!!! Deal with it!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calcaterra's yet another BLOGGER (paid for OPINIONS) using yet another unnamed "source." At least you're consistent in your fact-free arguments!!

• Reply to this Message
Message 546253.9 was deleted
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
I get it. Care to answer the question?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546253.11 was deleted
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
If the offer is fair and Dickey's not worth any more than Jeremy Guthrie how do the Mets justify demanding two top prospects in return?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 86kid

It is all overblown. The Mets have every right to try and get Dickey at their price, and by the same token, Dickey has evry right to try and get the best price he can fromt he Mets.

If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't. I have advocated that we should trade him anyway, so it wouldn't bother me if it didn't work out. As long as Sandy gets two top teir prospcts for him, I would not be upset about it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 86kid

What Dickey is asking for is reasonable - more than reasonable.

Thus, one can specualte that the Mets aren't all that convinced he'll be worth that much a year of two donw the road, and they really would perfer to deal him.

I have no problem with either side's feelings. I am just getting tired of this thing dragging on.

I realize the Mets want to wait out the best offer they can get, but man-o-man it is a drag to wait. lol

• Reply to this Message