• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Why aren't the mets interested in Swisher for the OF
  • To:All
  • 12/13/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
Is Swisher's asking price right now insanely high, he has played in NY and is a switch hitter who can play the outfield. I read that the indians are showing strong interest in him, your telling me the mets are in such horrible shape that they can't compete with the Indians to sign a guy that would fill a need. If that is the case the Wilpons need to sell to someone(s) that can make the Mets matter again, this mediocrity has gone on for far too long.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 86mex17
swisher can go f himself
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 86mex17
he may not top 20 hr away from yankee stadium.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • MetObserver
Who says that he can play the outfield because it is a lie. They must have meant that he knows where the outfield is, but as far as playing it that is very questionable.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
He's hit 20 plus home runs for 8 straight seasons 4 of which have been away from Yankee stadium, anyway not saying he is the perfect fit but he does fit a need and has already had success in NY with yankees.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72
He won't have the short porch all the Yankees have become addicted to to inflate his stats. He's a one dimensional player. Twenty five more home runs would be nice, but it won't get us very far.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 86mex17
Maybe, but ill pass, IMO
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72
He was also hitting in what was mostly a stacked lineup most of his years here - Arod, Jeter, Tex, Granderson, Cano, etc. He'll be more alone in the lineup here with a much bigger park to try and hit out of.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
He hit well with Oakland and the White sox as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • jgrangers2
And we can probably just bring Hairston back for a fraction of the price.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • mcmet69
Because he's a di*k and an ex yankee. Enough said!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72
He hit .219 on Chicago, and peaked at .262 on Oakland (.250, .236, .254 in his other seasons). His OPS on Chicago, even with the HRs, was .743. How is that hitting well?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
I was referring to hitting 20 plus home runs with those other teams (not just with the small porch yankees), yeah his avg. wasn't there which is true.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72
As I said, one dimensional.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
He can hit lefties well with power but seems more fit for a part time bench role as opposed to being a starter IMO.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • jgrangers2
Now that I look at Swisher's splits, he's better than I initially thought.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • edmet
he is a jerk. get cody ross, he supposedly wants 3yrs $25m. that is reasonable in this market, the 3rd yr probably gets him, offer $7,8,9 = $24. rh bat needed to balance our lineup. figure .260 18hr, proffessional outfielder. we are slightly overpaying but this is a tuff market and we dont get him if we dont pay. then make a run at bourn, 4yrs $13m per. give born an opt out after the first yr, that will get boras' attention. the FO and owners prefer to trade dickey and if they can get olt and martin or another good prospect (font,sardinas or alfaro) i am good with that. but if they wait on texas too long they may end up with zip. IMO they should offer dickey 2yr extension at $12.5m per with limited no trade clause (he can designate 10 teams every season he will accept a trade to, and a $1m trade bonus if traded; this saves face for mets, gives dickey family security, everybody wins). the no trade and trade bonus WOULD NOT cover this yr. the ext should enhance dickey value, and if traded the acquiring team can be made to pick up the bonus. if born opts out, we had him for 1 yr at $13m (not bad) and have another yr to get our minor league outfielders ready (den decker, lagares, et al). mets need to get creative! sandy's creativity is only evident so far when it comes to payroll cutting schemes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72

"He can hit lefties well with power"

Th Mo Zone will take care of that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • DFAB
Swisher would be SOLID...maybe for 3/36 but not for what he is asking for and what he will ultimately get. He is a product of yankees stadium and that lineup. You could expect .260 14-17 hrs from him here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • Kranesback
Absolutely! (remember him?)
  • Reply to this Message