• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Pure negotiation tactics. That's all.
  • To:All
  • 12/12/12
  • anthony888

Stop fretting over the dickey situation. As soon as we extend him, the phones will stop ringing.

He must stay unsigned, until there's a zero chance at anyone.

Let them call and inquire. It's the only way to test the waters.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

Exactly.

Some people need to learn patience.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • rangers61134465

people should be happy right now..

i think its clear that he will either be signed to a team friendly deal or dealt for top notch prospects

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Yes, I agree... That's all it is.

It looks like the FO wants to deal him, and they are probably going to- Just waiting for the right package.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • TheFriNgE
Yep, and if that happens, it's not good for NY I'm afraid!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

I think it's the best move for the team.

Team around him just isn't good... No reason for him to be here right now. Sad but true.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • nvmets10
I'll have no issue with the wait providing we do actually trade him. But if not, it'll look awful. A big chunk of the market has passed us by.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • TheFriNgE

You know what? If the Mets extended Dickey a contract, this would send the message to other GM's that the Mets believe in Dickey's value to the team, so they would be more willing to part with their top prospects.

That aside,

What about the pitching staff?
How long do you think it'll take to develop a top of the rotation pitcher?
How long would it take to add a speedy outfielder with a good bat?
How long do you want to wait to win a championship?

The team was a hitting machine last half of 2011 and into the 1st half 2012. The pen performed quite admirably during the 2nd half of 2012. Our younger pitchers/ players are having growing pains, Edgin, Majia, Duda, Nieuwenhuis, and possibly Thole (he's better than most catchers out there)

Why would you think we should trade an ace for another team's prospects who you think are better than our own guys? I have NO news, 'cause the grass is not greener on the other side. Yeah we could use more depth in our system, but not at the expense of creating a giant hole to fill.

Edited 12/12/12   by  TheFriNgE
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • sheadro
I think fans aren't seeing the angle here. It's not about just getting a prospect, or #__ on baseball America's top 100, it's about getting a player. We have what we think is the core of the rotation with Wheeler, Harvey, and Neise, and ideally we want to build the core of the middle of our lineup with Wright and Ike to balance our team for the long term. If we get the right player or players this is absolutely the right move. This is where we need to put faith in our talent evaluators that they are targeting the right player. Keep in mind it seems that they were very right about Wheeler and targeted him throughout the process of trading Beltran.Let's hope that is a signal of things to come that our guys are good at this.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546234.10 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • TheFriNgE

Good comments, it's just that Harvey and Wheeler are not established yet, so that's still a higher risk, high ceiling plan. I still believe RA would ease the pressure, and then we let our guys show us what they can do. RA also brings more to the table. I believe he has about 3 to 4 years of service at a high level. This combined with development of our pitching staff, would be a faster track to a championship.

I feel a trade is not necessary to obtain the position players we need. (money comes off the books that belongs to the fans, not the Wilpon's pockets) I want just as much as anybody to go into 2013 with a stronger lineup. However, pitching wins championships. We need to improve defense at 2B and one good speedy outfielder who swings a good bat. (don't we miss Beltran but that was a good trade) Anyway, I see the Mets looking to a brighter future with RA. Also consider we will be playing with a full 27 outs without Bay, who reduced that to 23 outs, which we had to score more runs than our opponent.

The offense isn't as bad as perceived. Our bad second half still lingers, so that's perceived as reality, the "real Mets". I predict as 2013 plays out, at least one of our young players will have an outstanding year. Our need will be reduced, just like that, so I petition my fellow fans to believe in 2014. We have the best chance to win on a faster track with RA, than without him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • johnyringo
Shut up dopey
  • Reply to this Message