• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• METS pennywise and pound foolish
  • To:All
  • 12/12/12
  • spaceship22

Here we go again. The METS have a CY Young winner who is becoming disgruntled by management. Could the METS lose Reyes the reigning batting champ one year and lose the reigning Cy Young champ the next season. Yes, he is signed but I can't help but think this team screws up so much. Reminds me of Chad Bradford who only wanted 9 million for three years. The Mets refused and the following two seasons he would have and could have been the difference.

They pay Bay an enormous sum and this guy all but stunk up the joint. They pay head case Oliver Perez 36 million and he looked like he didn't even want to pitch. In fact he refused to go to the minors. Now they have the consummate performer in Dickey and are playing games. He is a fan favorite on a team that needs to fill the seats. A guy who gives you a 100% every time and you wish you had more like him on the team.

As a fan for 45 years and close to the game I said that early during the year it would have been the right choice to give dickey 3 years at 36 million. They could have even added money and ripped up the final year. Yet they seem intent on messing this up. This form a team that is still paying off Bobby Bonilla.

Please Wilpons give Met fans something else besides wright to cheer about. We have some young guys and a guy like Dickey could only be a positive for Harvey and Wheeler.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • oceans48
If there's a way to deceive, mismanage and ignore any possible way to improve the team, Fredo & pet puppet Jeffy will find a way to do it!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • hammr1952
very well put...+1... wilpons dont get IT.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • wrghtknght
Illusion of improvement. The wilpons need the stagnancy so they can continue to pocket every last dollar they can to pay off their debt. Literally cannot afford to pay a competent team, and need the team out of the playoff race early so they can justify not improving them mid-season. That's what happened last year, and expect it again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Kranesback
I'm starting to think whiffboy may have something to do with this..he wants it to be his team good or bad and RA could be a threat to his spotlight...sort of like when Davey Johnson took over and we "amde the mistake" of leaving Seaver unprotected....Johnson did not want Seaver around second guessing him while he tired to build a winner.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546226.6 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • johnyringo
Step away from the crack.....it kills
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 4545_ajd
The conspiracy theories are getting dumber and dumber...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • Oldfan

Is this really the Wilpon's decision?

I know most like to blame them for everything, but IMO, this is Alderson's decision. He, or his VPs, are the ones who negotiate contracts; Dickey is already signed for 2013, so it doesn't affect the budget; even if Dickey is extended for 2 yrs at 12 mil, it only adds 7 mil to the future payroll. With Santana and Bay (mostly) off the books in 2014, the 2 yr extension is not excessive and well within what will be Alderson's 2014 & 2015 budgets. I don't know why this would need much more than a Wilpon's rubber stamp.

IMO, Alderson is looking to either sign Dickey to a Mets-friendly, below market deal or trade him. I think what's happening with Dickey is much more reflective of Alderson than the owners.

Also, Alderson and Jeff W. have both said publicly that Alderson has some money to spend. If true and there's no better uses, Alderson can use some of that money to give Dickey a raise in 2013 and lower what the Mets will pay him in 2014 and 2015.

Edited 12/13/12   by  Oldfan
Edited 12/13/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546226.10 was deleted
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72
You didn't need to write all this. You said it all with the subject.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72

"Illusion of improvement."

They're not even pulling off the illusion well.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72

"I'm starting to think whiffboy may have something to do with this"

I highly doubt it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • govmule72

"I know most like to blame them for everything, but IMO, this is Alderson's decision. He, or his VPs, are the ones who negotiate contracts"

lol

• Reply to this Message