• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

Message 546217.1 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • oceans48
Fredo's going with the age old strategy of great pitching to go along with no speed and lousey defense. lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver
Second base would be considered a hole on a complete team. On this team it is only a slight leak that can be lived with until after the holes have been plugged. It is that simple.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • beingfrank
Exactly
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • johnyringo
Daniel doubles in clutch.....watch the games.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 86mex17
Maybe he has pics of jeffy with a hooker? I dont know?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB
maybe you should look at Murphy's ENTIRE stat line...and not just "hrs." He did bat about .300, he did hit 40 doubles, he hardly EVER strikes out, he works the count, etc. Why didn't you mention any of this? Also, Murphy wasn't as terrible as you are portraying him.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546217.8 through 546217.10 were deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB

"I don't really look at doubles as a big stat, honestly, especially when you're playing half your games at Citifield."

Sorry but your credibility just got flushed down the toilet. Doubles are NOT a big stat?? How? There ARE other ways to drive in runs other than hitting the long ball you know....and sometimes doubles drive in MORE runs than hrs!

"You also have to take into account that Thole, Tejada are clones of Murphy"

Uh.....

"He also has no speed either. DFAB"

Neither does Miguel Cabrera...guess he stinks too. You don't have to have speed to be good. If he was a leadoff guy then yea...he would need speed. He is a 6/7 hitter...speed isn't an issue.

"if Murphy he played a much, much better defense, this wouldn't even be a discussion."

Murphy only really needs to play average defense since he DOES have a quality bat whether you think so or not.

"I just think that if you're talking about upgrading the team, the Mets certainly can look into 2b as well."

Sure...if guys like Cano, Pedroia, etc. were available. Second base is the least of our worries right now. If we get 3 outfields and a real catcher and THEN we decide that we need a new 2b, fine.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB
what about his BA? How does that look? How often does he strike out? Look at ALL of his stats and not just certain ones....
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546217.13 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • nym698641

So both second baseman that had more errors then Daniel Murphy were in the playoffs.
Infante lost in the World Series and Kinsler lost in the playoffs after losing in the WS the two years before that. Kind of blows your theory up that we need defense at the position to win.

Kinsler the second best offensive second baseman to Cano, in your mind, had 7 more rbi's 2 more doubles batted .35 points lower had a lower on base and ops then Murphy and you are saying we have a hole at second?

I would say we actually have nothing to worry about at second base compared to the rest of the positions on this team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • nym698641
You really need to look over the stats before you just say things. Kinsler may hit more home runs but he plays in an offensive ball park surrounded by the like of Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre and Nelson Cruz and does not blow away Murphy stat wise.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546217.16 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • nym698641
13 more home runs but only 7 more rbi's. Do the math.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546217.18 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • nym698641
I didn't say Kinsler was to blame. I was pointing out that you said those two guys had more errors then Murphy and I was showing that those teams won anyway so Murphy's defense would not hinder the Mets and that his offense is not bad. After 3rd base and 1st base I say 2nd base is the least of our problems.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • sheadro
Murphy is a fine stop gap. Keep in mind we have put a lot of recent draft focus on the middle infield. Is he ideal? No, but he provides needed offense for now. Find me an outfielder (or 3) before we focus on Murphy.
  • Reply to this Message