• To:All
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud

Soria
Fujikawa
Soriano
Wilson
Madson

These are 5 potential closers all earning less than Francisco, the worst starting closer in baseball. Even the Marlins demoted Bell when he couldn't get the job done, and he makes more than FF. Our organization is so pathetic. They clearly have no desire to improve or win.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • frozensoda
We all agree Mets need to upgrade the bullpen but Wilson & Madson are coming off major injuries & Soriano I think makes much more $ than Francisco. Franciso had 23 saves in 26 chances which is not too bad & probably a better % than most on your list although his ERA & WHIP were pretty bad. But he got over a K an inning & if healthy is not a terrible guy to have around. If Mets do not spend on an outfielder then they should at least spend something on the bullpen, but what disturbs me is they don't seem to be targeting anyone right now for either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • hammr1952
you are such a joy.... must be real fun at parties... your act is getting stale... take a vac.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
FF is a terrible closer. We can have him in the pen, but not in the 9th inning. It is very upsetting that they are doing nothing to improve the team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
Don't you think that the Wilpons should be held accountable for the decisions they make.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"Don't you think that the Wilpons should be held accountable for the decisions they make. "

How so and by whom?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
Fans and media.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • melloca
Yes by the fans by not buying tickets at Citifield. Hey Fargol notice the decline in attendance year after year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"Fans and media. "

Okay sure. Attendance was down and will continue to drop unless the team starts winning.

That's not holding them accountable. It's making a decision not to spend the money. The Wilpons don't really know why you stopped going to games. ANY owner or GM knows that losing team = less attendance = less revenue.

As for the media, it seems they've been pretty anti-Wilpon, for the most part.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"Hey Fargol notice the decline in attendance year after year? "

Of course. People don't feel the expense is worth it given the economy and the Mets being bad since 2009.

So what? It happens with EVERY team. Do you or olerud expect attendance to drop to zero?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • melloca
Fargol it's not about the economy as that's a sham of an excuse as look at the Cubs and Red Sox whose teams stink but they keep selling out. Even look at the NY Knicks when the Knicks stunk under Mike Antoni they still did very well and ticket prices are more expensive at the Garden then they are at Citifield.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

It's PARTLY about the economy. If the team was good, more would come.

Some people choose not to go for a combination of reasons.

Of the people who decided not to go to games, in your estimation, what percentage of them (roughly) aren't going solely because of the owners?

Also, if the Mets become a winning team (work with me here) but the Wilpons were still the owners, do you think attendance would rise?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud

I don't understand why anyone buys thickets or goes to games at this point.

PAID attendance should be averaging 15k per game.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
I think that the team is bad becuase the Wilpons are the owners. So implicitly, many fans don't attend becuase of the Wilpons. If we were good, fans would go again, but I don't see us being good any time soon because the Wilpons are such bad owners.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"I don't understand why anyone buys thickets or goes to games at this point. "
Some people love baseball, and are very loyal to their team. If they weren't having a good time, they wouldn't go.

"PAID attendance should be averaging 15k per game. "
Unless the team truly hits rock bottom (they're not there yet), that'll never happen.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
Attending games doesn't show loyalty to the team. It shows a desire to fatten the Wilpons pockets. They clearly don't reinvest any money into the team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"I think that the team is bad becuase the Wilpons are the owners."
Yes, but remember the team was very good in 2006, 2007, and 2008.

But in general, yes, as owners go they are inept.

"So implicitly, many fans don't attend becuase of the Wilpons."
Some, yes, but in my opinion people don't go just because the Wilpons are owners. Those people would go to games, for the most part, if the team started winning.

Winning solves all things.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

" It shows a desire to fatten the Wilpons pockets."

Huh? So people who are attending games do it because they want to help make the Wilpons rich?

• Reply to this Message