• To:All
  • 12/12/12
  • joebenigno

I think we'd all be excited as Mets fans about the future of the team

instead we cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver
And we would be playing those prospects as regulars this season. Albeit to an empty house and a last place finish. Then what would the plan be if those prospects were washouts like most are? Trade terrible players for even more terrible prospects and crossing our fingers that that batch works out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • joebenigno

i guess there will always be enough kool aiders to buy into the Wilpons BS

wait till 2014 hahahaha what a joke

the Mets are BROKE....you need to come down to reality, great teams cant be made with the promise of signing Free agent after free agent

Edited 12/12/12   by  joebenigno
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • ExileMetsFan

"And we would be playing those prospects as regulars this season. Albeit to an empty house and a last place finish."

I'm not sure the season will end up much differently.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver
How does a broke team survive with a complete overhaul and starting from scratch in NYC? While many fans want to see the Wilpons sell the owners aren't going to try and make their wish come true. They are trying to keep some names in order to not lose even more attendance. Will it work? That is anyone's guess. But it is what it is and no amount of griping or complaining is going to change it. Root for whoever is on the team or don't that is your prerogative. The way the owners are running the team is theirs. We will have to wait to see how things turn out. Maybe they sign more when the money is available or maybe not but we will have to wait and see.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

Most of the Mets best young talent is in the lower-levels of their system, so the near-future help is Wheeler, Mejia and maybe Flores.

I really believe the Mets would have been better suited to completely rebuild, getting major-league ready prospects for Wright and Dickey. They would have acquired young, inexpensive, talent to add to Davis, Harvey and Niese, etc and then had a boatload of money (2014) to augment the young guys with free agents.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver
The suggestion that I read was to trade Wright, Dickey, Davis, Neise and Murphy. To me that is stripping the team to the nth degree and it would not work unless most of the prospects we get work out. Which you know isn't usually the case. Case in point is look at the boat load of prospects the Twins got for Santana.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
We can't win with Dickey, Wright and Reyes. Why not trade for prospects that at least give us a chance to win games?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
We have one of the worst farms in the majors. We have very little talent at any level.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver

To answer both of your statements.

Trading all name players in NYC and trying to fill the stadium by playing all prospects will result in the team losing more money. That would make you happy but that is not the owners objective. They are trying to have the team at least break even during the period that they try to turn it around with young pitching while waiting for payroll flexibility.

Secondly you exaggerate somewhat by saying that the farm has no talent at any level. It is not ranked as the worst farm system but rather middle of the pack lately.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
Other than Wheeler, who is talented AND puts up good numbers?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan
Flores put up really good numbers for a 21 y/o in AA. A lot less power than Olt, at this point, but better BA and K's a lot less.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • cjct

who said to trade Davis, Niese, and Murphy...they should keep them because they are young a cheap.

They should of traded Reyes, Wright, and Dickey and loaded up with 8-10 prospects. OUt of the 8-10 maybe half are major league ready and can develope with Davis, Tejada, Murphy, Wheeler, and Harvey.

We had a opportunity to jump start the rebuilding of this franchise from making our farm system go from one of the weakest to one of the deepest.

Yes there is always risks to trading known commodities for prospects but honestly what is the risk. It's not like we are blowing up some potention powerhouse. We would be blowing up a 4th place team LOL.

Get over this attendence cr*p...if someone comes to a mets game to watch the golden boy then they aren't a mets fan. You go to games because you hope the mets win.

Yes we would be losing for a year or 2 while the prospects developed. But during that stretch we would most likely have 2 top 5 picks...8-10 prospects from the trades. And millions saved to eventually acquire FA and take on salary in trades in the future.

They dropped the ball and this will cost us any chance of competing over the near future.

Imagine the possibilities and young major league ready pieces we could of acquired for Reyes, Wright, and Dickey. We would be so deep and have so much flexabilty to go any direction we wanted to go.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver

The OP Stearnsy said he wanted to trade all of those players.

Can you see many people going to watch a $40 million dollar team of prospects trying to make the Major leagues? The attendance would be counted in hundreds instead of thousands.

The people going to games this year will be going because they have a chance to see a win with Wright, Dickey, Davis, or Neise playing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • cjct

NO ONE GOES TO THE GAMES ANYWAYS!!!

when it gets to august and september no one cares who is actually playing if the mets are 10 and 15 games out of a playoff spot they wont go. Also April and May school is still going on and the weather is still cold so attendance isn't great.

So the only month they will get great attendance is June, if we are still competitive by then. So one month of attendance is worth 8 years of irrelavancy?

I would go see Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, pitch...I would go see a team that had Davis, Tejada, Murphy, and a bunch of top prospects (ie Myers, Olt, types). That team would be fun to watch. Sure there would be growing pains but we would actually have a "plan"

Right now we are mediocre and that is arguably the worst place to be in professional sports.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
So many "what if's and "if's" when it comes to the mets, time for them to start doing something.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver
This year they do need more offense especially in the outfield/catcher positions. But the starting pitching should be better than last year. Santana a year stronger post surgery, Dickey being Dickey, Neise advancing as he has in the past, a full year from Harvey. That gives the team a possibly very strong 4 pitchers. The fifth spot with Gee and at some time in May or June Wheeler when needed. If the young relief pitchers prove better than last year and we get even a minuscule
improvement in offense will result in more wins than last year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • beltrain15

The Santana trade is not a good example...none of the prospects the Twins got were very highly regarded because they waited too long to trade him. And Carlos Gomez actually hit 19 homers and stole 37 bases last year, so I wouldn't exactly call him a bust. He also didn't suggest that we trade Davis, Niese and Murphy. The fact is that if we got 10 prospects (maybe 3 or 4 great ones) for Reyes, Wright and Dickey, and 4 or 5 became every day players (not even stars), the lineup wouldn't be full of black holes (Thole + the entire outfield), and they would be complementing Davis, Murphy, Tejada, Niese, Harvey and Gee to form a watchable team. Then once the Santana, Bay and Francisco contracts are off the books they might actually go out and get a few good free agents to build a contender.

We're never gonna get anywhere if the philosophy is to not trade for prospects because they won't pan out and don't overpay free agents because they might be busts. The crazy part is that this is the philosophy, yet Sandy still went out and gave Francisco a 2 year deal last year. Even if he put up a 3 ERA this year, 6 million bucks is still a lot of money for a reliever. I don't see low risk high reward there, I see high risk possible decent reward, which turned out to be a terrible reward. Now Sandy keeps trying to find a slam dunk, Beltran for Wheeler type deal out there as the clock ticks down on the offseason.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver

Here is the post I was referring to. Came from a different thread. My bad.

stearnsy12
back in August i posted that we should just deal Wright,Dickey,Murphy,and Davis and start over,i later proposed dealing even Niese and getting back as much in the way of prospects as we could and do a total rebuild,start over

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Matt H
Flores, Montero, Fulmer, Verrett, Pill all have put up great numbers so far.
  • Reply to this Message