• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Final Straw?
  • To:All
  • 12/12/12
  • Robert

If the way the Brass is handling the Dickey situation is not the final straw with everyone there is no help for you. As a die hard met fan, I have never felt more disgruntled than I do n ow. It is an absolute disgrace the way they are treating a man who helped them bank $ last year by being one of the only reasons to come out to the ballpark.

Mets logic= To other teams Dickey is worth two top prospects to us he is worth Jeremy Guthrie.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd
What a player is worth and what they get paid only applies when the player is a free agent and can have all 30 teams bidding on him. Just like Mike Trout and Bryce Harper aren't worth league minimum this year.

Edited 12/12/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546211.3 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • ExileMetsFan

Yeah, but there's also such a think as being strategic. Dickey WILL be a FA in a year if they don't sign him, and because of that, they won't get back full value if they trade him. They'd be in a stronger position if they signed him to an extension and THEN traded him.

Once again, the Mets fail to operate from a position of strength. This ownership is beyond clueless

• Reply to this Message
Messages 546211.5 through 546211.6 were deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • ExileMetsFan
Nothing wrong with tough negotiating, but there is also the issue of rewarding a guy who has been very underpaid for the past 3 years. He IS a person, and emotions do matter to some degree. It's just like what happened with Jose, only dumber.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • ExileMetsFan

"They are dealing from a position of strength by being tough while in the position to do so"

With Dickey. Not with prospective trade partners. That's what I said about being STRATEGIC

" And you can bet your sweet bippy part of Dickeys demand is a FULL no trade clause which would make your suggestion impossible"

Actually, it can be a point of negotiation. Tell him, "if you take this offer, we'll give you the no-trade, or we'll give you what you want in money, but no no-trade clause".

But the owners are too stupid to do something like that.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 546211.9 through 546211.10 were deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd

"They'd be in a stronger position if they signed him to an extension and THEN traded him."

No they wouldn't, since that would automatically rule out any team that would want to sign Dickey on a one year 5M deal, If a team wants to sign him for longer than that the Mets will give them a negotiating window, it won't be hard because everyone already knows what he is asking so any team willing to trade for him and wants to sign him already knows what it would take going into negotiating an extension.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • ExileMetsFan

"No they wouldn't, since that would automatically rule out any team that would want to sign Dickey on a one year 5M deal,"

Any team that thinks they can get him for that is delusional.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd
I was talking about in 2013 they deal he is currently on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • krlnd

"What a player is worth and what they get paid only applies when the player is a free agent and can have all 30 teams bidding on him. Just like Mike Trout and Bryce Harper aren't worth league minimum this year. "

However, a recent example of somebody getting paid their worth without being a free agent is Wright.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd

"However, a recent example of somebody getting paid their worth without being a free agent is Wright.

If BJ Upton is worth 15m Wright is worth more than 17.25, plus Wright was a lot more willing to wait till free agency than Dickey.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • ExileMetsFan

"I was talking about in 2013 they deal he is currently on. "

Ah, gotcha. Fair point

Although him being a rental hurts his value somewhat. Hopefully, his cheap contract will make up the difference.

Edited 12/12/12   by  ExileMetsFan
Edited 12/12/12   by  ExileMetsFan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Although him being a rental hurts his value somewhat. Hopefully, his cheap contract will make up the difference."

Some teams will want to sign to an extension, others will want to make sure he works out for them. Don't forget in 2014 the National TV deal money kicks in so there could be some teams willing to test him out first even if it means paying more for him in 2014.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • ExileMetsFan
I think we'll get to most with a trade-and-sign, like we did with Santana
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • krlnd
But you're comparing apples to oranges. Upton was a FA, Wright is not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd

"But you're comparing apples to oranges. Upton was a FA, Wright is not."

Ok, you must have missed something because that is the EXACT point I was making.

• Reply to this Message