• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Freddy, you're gonna lose this one
Message 546210.1 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • oceans48
This teams MO is screwing up the easiest decisions. They constantly manipulate themselves into dark corners with no light ahead. Watch how this affair nets us either no RA, or subpar prospects. If Vegas had betting lines on the Mets screwing up, every fan would be rich!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"they'll fall for you cr ap 95% of the time"

They say 97% of all statistics are made up.

Please ... by now, and for the last few years, I don't believe 95% is accurate or even remotely close.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd

I guess those 5% were right on when they claimed Wilpon said Wright wasn't a Superstar to use as an excuse for not signing him...

I guess they forgot about that one.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

I really don't see how signing a guy with one great season to a 13 mil per year deal, starting when he's 40 is a "gift".

If the rest of the league was certain Dickey was going to be a "gift" at ages 40 & 41, I'd guess there would have been better offers than Olt, for a guy who will pitching in 2013 for 5 mil.

I can be as hard on the Mets FO as anyone, but in this case, I don't see either side as the villain. I don't blame Dickey for trying to cash-in on his one great year and trying to sign an extension for what's likely to be his biggest pay day.

On the flip-side, the Mets have two problems: re-signing Dickey will leave them pretty much status quo (not great for a team coming off multiple, consecutive, 4th place finishes); and, he's a older pitcher, with a novelty pitch that may or may not be effective 1, 2 or 3 years down the road.

Can Dickey be a top of the rotation pitcher when the Mets are ready to contend?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • bbyjean616

I really don't see how signing a guy with one great season to a 13 mil per year deal, starting when he's 40 is a "gift".

If the rest of the league was certain Dickey was going to be a "gift" at ages 40 & 41, I'd guess there would have been better offers than Olt, for a guy who will pitching in 2013 for 5 mil."

To be fair hes had three pretty good to great seasons. The Mets are a laughingstock and I really believe other teams arent taking us seriously. When the owner publicly states that if he doesnt get what he wants then he'll pitch him without an extension, youre pretty much opening yourself up for more trouble. I do agree that Dickey needs to be traded. There is NO reason to keep him. Its a pipe dream to think we'll compete by 2014.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • joebenigno

i love how Matt Cerrone criticized the Mets, then backed off in another post

how symbolic of the lapdog, kool-aid drinking Met fan

LOL

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver
Do you think that if the team doesn't sign Dickey to an extension that he wouldn't be a very tempting target at the deadline for a team in contention? With only $2.5 million left on his contract especially if he is pitching well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 4545_ajd
I don't like the idea of Mets trading Dickey at the deadline, first the team they are trading him to won't get a draft pick, second if Santana is having a good year they hurt one another's values at the deadline.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

<<"To be fair hes had three pretty good to great seasons"

Yeah, 2 good, one great.

<<"I do agree that Dickey needs to be traded. There is NO reason to keep him. Its a pipe dream to think we'll compete by 2014. "

Agree, but I don't know if I'm sold on Olt. No doubt, he has great power, but that can be neutralized a little in Citi. Also, 24 yrs old still in AA, with high K numbers kind of reminds me of den Dekker in AA. IMO, if you can't put the bat on the ball at that level, it doesn't get any better in the majors.

Maybe patience is the key. If all the suitors, but Texas, are on the sidelines, the Mets might have to wait until the deadline for better offers. From a financial standpoint, Dickey at 5 mil, will make the Mets some money on days he pitches, even for 1/2 a season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

<<"I don't like the idea of Mets trading Dickey at the deadline, first the team they are trading him to won't get a draft pick, second if Santana is having a good year they hurt one another's values at the deadline."

Neither did Beltran. If Dickey is still pitching like a #1, that type of starter can greatly influence a playoff series. I still remember Hersheiser pitching 3 games aginst the Mets.

Santana and Dickey are 2 different type of pitchers. Teams can count on Dickey for over 200 innings and still being strong throughout the postseason.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • MetObserver
I am not saying that it is the best case scenario but it is a scenario. Just saying that even if they don't trade nor sign Dickey they still have options during the year to get a return for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"I guess they forgot about that one."

They forget a lot of things.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • OrangeandBlue86

You hit the nail on the head when u called it "his patented moves"

They always pull this childish nonsense. This is about as no brainer of a move as u can make. Sign the guy! They can always trade him before the deadline and get even more for him cus hes signed for 2 and 1/2 more yrs. They gotta play their little games where they put a an offer out that they know the player wont accept just so they can say they made an offer, then they try to turn it on the player making him look greedy and whatver else they can spin from th eplayers comments.

Don't go to games!!! Im actually pissed off the all star game at citi this yr cus its gonna sell more ticket plans cus people wanna go to it. I want nobody to go at all this yr and oust this ponzi scheme family.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"Yeah, 2 good, one great."

His ERA and WHIP in 2010 were very comparable to 2012. So, that was a great year too.

2011 was very good. A 3.28 ERA is (I bet) better than the ERA of some teams' #1.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

Yeah, looking at those stats, many things seem to be compariable.

The one stat in 2012 that is eye popping, compared to the two previous seasons, is the number of K's. Dickey averaged 3-4 more per 9 than 2010 and 2011. When using the eye test, Dickey was a much more dominant pitcher in 2012.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • murphstates

I understand what you're saying, but Dickey sees Kuroda get $15 million and Haren get $13 million. According to an article in the Post the Mets initial offer was 2/$14 million starting in 2014. That's 3/$19 million total.

That is a flat out insult. It's less than Joe Blanton and far less than Guthrie. It can't even be considered a serious proposal, but that's how they approached the negotiations.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • saztastic2012
Did he turn you down for drinks or something?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • alfolerud
Here comes Saz with his fantasies again. He either fantasizes about the current team actually winning or about man on man.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

Yeah, I get that, but my thoughts are that the Mets will extend Dickey if he comes at a deep discount. If not, his value is likely greater as a trade chip.

I've said earlier, that I'm not impressed with much the Mets FO has done recently, but I think this needs time to play out.

Edited 12/12/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message