New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Alderson: 2013 Roster Will Be Similar To End of 2012
  • To:All
  • 12/11/12
  • nvmets10

Via Adam Rubin on Twitter.

Interesting, considering what he said just months ago: Alderson told Francesa he does not believe they will “be complacent over the course of the the offseason about bringing back the same team because we think it’s an inch away from success. I think we will take a step back and take a broader look at things. …After having watched this team for a couple of years. Maybe it’s time to make some moves.”

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

And payroll went down. Significantly.

I don't think it's him... Again, there's always a common denominator with this team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • viper99
Same old Mess. This team has a nack for hiring idiots.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • nvmets10

Another quote, and this was in October:

"There will be more substantial changes [at catcher and in the outfield] than subtle changes..."

I know the offseason isn't over yet but it's hard to feel like that's actually true at this point. Something is very wrong here. It just looks awful that we're being told this AFTER they went out of their way to save on Bay and Wright to boot. I mean, you've got to be kidding.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • mets06ny
I admit I thought that there would be NO WAY they had the guts to toss the same roster out there again. I was wrong. This is sad and I don't know what else to say. I'm sure they still make a couple moves but how relevant they will be who knows.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • beltrain15
They need to trade Dickey then.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • cjct

this team is a flat out joke, we spend time and money watching this team just stink and now they have the disrespect to throw out the same crappy team in 2012 as in 2013?

Great wonderful another year down the drain and no young pieces to show for it....at least we have the golden boy locked up till he will be in a wheel chair (***rolls eyes***)

I don't care if they had a crappy team but at least show me a plan show me a idea that there is a future. Instead we resign Wright and most likely resign dickey and have the same cr*p team.

They should of just traded both Wright and Dickey and rebuild...fans would have gotten behind that!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbjmparis

There are only two things positive about this offseason.

1- They resigned Wright.

2- They didn't trade Dickey for some stinking prospect...at least not so far. Myers is the most
over-hyped player in years. You'd think he was Babe Ruth or something instead of a guy who's
done ZERO at the major league level, and may never amount to a hill of beans. He's nothing.
Unfortunately, I have little confidence that they won't trade Dickey for less than nothing.

How about we keep Dickey and trade Murphy, Tejada, Duda. Torres, Francisco, and Thole, none of whom are very good, or are deeply flawed players? Maybe get back a decent outfielder and Catcher. Then trade Wheeler, while he still has some value, (he's another over-hyped guy who didn't look great in Buffalo) and Mejia and Familia who stink. say for a couple of Good, proven, major league players.

Do that, and we'd have a team worth watching. A team that with just a little more than average luck,
say Harvey is the real deal, Santana's arm doesn't fall off in July, Gee is decent, Ike has a big year, and we find a closer...a team that might actually contend for a wild card spot.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • thebobymon
Sign Andres and be done with it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • melloca
Yet they are still a 4th place team so nothing positive happened in the offseason uless you enjoy seeing the Mets finish in 4th place.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbyjean616

How about we keep Dickey and trade Murphy, Tejada, Duda. Torres, Francisco, and Thole, none of whom are very good, or are deeply flawed players? Maybe get back a decent outfielder and Catcher. Then trade Wheeler, while he still has some value, (he's another over-hyped guy who didn't look great in Buffalo) and Mejia and Familia who stink. say for a couple of Good, proven, major league players."

Because thats unrealistic. Theyre all not very good but we'll get back a decent catcher and OF for them? Dickey is the only thing we have worth trading. We are light years away from competing and Dickey is 39. Knuckleballer or not, keeping him is too much of a risk when we have so many payroll, farm, FO problems. Trading dickey is our ONLY option

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • pt1028

>>>How about we keep Dickey and trade Murphy, Tejada, Duda. Torres, Francisco, and Thole, none of whom are very good, or are deeply flawed players?<<<

We can't trade the above mentioned because none of them are very good, or are deeply flawed players.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbjmparis

Trading Dickey for anything less than a proven major league star is a huge mistake.

I agree that Murphy, Tejada, Torres, Duda, Francisco, and Thole are not very good. However I think the six of them aught to get us back a DECENT catcher and outfielder. Note, I said decent, not stars.

Murphy has some trade value to an AL team as a DH. Some teams might be fooled by Tejada's decent BA. Believe it or not, Francisco has some value too. He's pitched well in the past, and relief pitchers coming off awful years quite often follow it up with good ones. Duda and Thole don't make much, so someone might be willing to roll the dice with them and give us something...a good backup infielder maybe. We aught to be able to get back two average players for the lot of them.

We once traded Tom Seaver for prospects. Can you even name them without looking them up? Trading Dickey for prospects is not the way to go. It leads to years of 72-90 baseball.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • beltrain15

The only position players worth keeping on this roster are Wright, Davis, Tejada, Murphy and Valdespin (as a backup). I don't see value in any other player even as a backup. We might be able to sell Duda as a first baseman to some other team and get a decent outfielder, but otherwise he's worthless. I'm not even slightly joking when I say that Matt Harvey is a better hitter than Thole, and the rest of the outfield isn't much better.

How about we bring back Hairston, a guy who actually hit 20 bombs and had an OPS over .800? I don't understand what the problem with giving him two years is since he'll probably sign for a reasonable price and is actually willing to play for us. Especially considering the fact that there's so much money coming off the books next year, next year's FA class is no better, and the Mets have no good outfield prospects coming up.

Or we could just let AAA Mike Baxter start. He'll continue to hit at a mediocre rate like he did at the end of last year and then devolve into an absolute black hole in the lineup by the time June rolls around and he's fatigued. Then they'll say "oh Mike wasn't too bad early in the year, maybe if we start him again in 2014 he'll hit like that for the whole year cause we don't want to overpay for an actual good player"

Rinse and repeat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Duda, Torres, Fransisco and Thole are completely useless.

Can't trade Murphy, Tejada is a very competent SS (who should only improve). Familia will probably end up being traded, or they'll try him out at second and try to ship Murph. Wheeler has immense talent... Not too fair to think he's going to be a bust- He has better stuff then Harvey that's for sure.

So just like last year: No OF (it's hard to have ZERO major league outfielders), no catcher, no BP.

Yep. Looks like another losing season to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Yeah I bet you said that when the Rockies signed Mike Hampton. Know who the Mets got as compensation for that?

It's already a 72 win team. There's no point to keeping him here so he can rot away.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbyjean616

"Murphy has some trade value to an AL team as a DH. Some teams might be fooled by Tejada's decent BA. Believe it or not, Francisco has some value too. He's pitched well in the past, and relief pitchers coming off awful years quite often follow it up with good ones. Duda and Thole don't make much, so someone might be willing to roll the dice with them and give us something...a good backup infielder maybe. We aught to be able to get back two average players for the lot of them.

We once traded Tom Seaver for prospects. Can you even name them without looking them up? Trading Dickey for prospects is not the way to go. It leads to years of 72-90 baseball. "

Murphy has no value as a DH. He has limited power. He has value to us if we had some more power around him. FF has zero value but we can go on here. Years of 72-90 seasons huh? Like our last four?
We are years from competing. We need to get max value for Dickey. If our only choices are trade him or let him play out 2013 and let him walk ala Reyes..... what do you do? You get as much back for him as you can. Tom Severs trade was 35 years ago. lets move on

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • saztastic2012

Well if he brought in two new OFs and a C to replace the now and soon to be departed Bay, Torres and Shoppach the roster would still be very similar however different, And I think and hope that is what he means.

Even keeping 20 of the 25 players that ended the 2012 season would be considered similar.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • beltrain15
If the Mets wanted to rebuild, they had to trade Wright. Trying to rebuild while paying Wright big money for 8 years is a good way to guarantee that this team won't compete for a long time. I would have been fine with rebuilding, but they made it public that they were planning to actually improve the team and try to compete now. The Wright move is starting to look more and more like a PR move, and if the Mets don't have a better 25 man roster after this offseason, I personally won't be following at all this season. I can deal with losing, but no one can possibly rationalize investing any time or emotion into an organization that has blindfolded us, lied to us, and shown no desire to deliver an entertaining product to fans.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Paying him LESS this year then what he was supposed to make fits into that theory quite well.

They may try and pull a Loria.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
What does 14 mil+11mil +7 1/2mil =?
Latest by gatorupset - 11:44 PM
Good road trip
Latest by nym3120 - 11:44 PM
satisfied Mets fan
Latest by nym3120 - 11:33 PM
We have a big-time Closer problem going forward (IMO)...
Latest by almandareo357 - 11:31 PM
Mets 10 Game Home Stand Predictions
Latest by nym3120 - 11:29 PM
Beer
Latest by thatsrightthemets - 11:27 PM
FRENCHY PUNKED BAD!
Latest by marvelousmarvin - 11:16 PM
Cubs
Latest by gatorupset - 11:13 PM
Valverde
Latest by gatorupset - 11:11 PM
Best Starting Lineup with Everyone Healthy