• Born: August 27, 1988 in New Haven, CT
• Height: 6' 2''
• Weight: 210
• Bats: Right
• Throws: Right
• College: Connecticut
• MLB Debut: August 2, 2012

Biography

Michael George Olt...attended the University of Connecticut in Storrs, leaving as the program's all-time home run leader with 44 long balls over 3 seasons...batted .318 (84-264) with 23 home runs and 76 RBI in 64 games for the Huskies as a junior... entered the draft rated by Baseball America as the 98thbest player and the 3rd-best overall college defender...at Branford (CT) High School, he was a four-year letter-winner and three-time All-State selection.

2010 Highlights
Spent first professional season with Spokane...rated statistically as the top defensive third baseman in the Northwest League with a .942 fielding pct...ranked among the league leaders in runs (2nd), doubles (T6th), home runs (7th), and RBI (T5th)... batted .309 (17-55) with 3 home runs and 12 RBI against lefties and .288 (60-208) with 6 home runs and 31 RBI vs. right-handers... collected a season-high 3 hits on 6 occasions...drove in a season-high 5 runs on July 15 vs. Vancouver...hit safely in a season- high 8 straight games from July 21-29...named the Rangers Minor League Defender of the Month for August...hit .367 (29-79) with 4 home runs and 19 RBI over final 20 regular season games to raise season average from .266 to .293...tallied at least one RBI in 7 straight games from Aug. 14-21, totaling 12 RBI during the stretch...batted .176 (3-17) with a double and 4 RBI in 5 games during the NWL playoffs.

2011 Highlights
Spent first full professional season with Myrtle Beach (High- A)...named the 3rd-best prospect in the Carolina League by Baseball America and tabbed as the best defensive third baseman in a survey by the same publication...selected as the Rangers Minor League Defender of the Month for April...led the Pelicans in both home runs (14) and walks (48) despite missing nearly 2 months due to injury...hit .297 (27-91) with 8 home runs and 18 RBI against left-handers and .248 (37-149) with 6 home runs and 24 RBI versus right-handers...named the CL Hitter of the Week for April 7-17, batting .424 (14-33) with 3 home runs and 10 RBI over 9 games...batted .286 (54-189) with 10 home runs and 34 RBI over first 54 games...suffered a broken collarbone in a home plate collision on June 6 vs. Winston-Salem...was on disabled list June 7-Aug. 18, including a rehab assignment with the AZL Rangers, Aug. 14-18... returned to Myrtle Beach on Aug. 19...logged first career multihome run effort, going deep twice Aug. 25 vs. Lynchburg...drove in a team-best 4 runs during the CL playoffs.

ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE: Named to the Arizona Fall League All-Prospect team after leading the circuit in home runs (13), RBI (43), total bases (81), and slugging (.764), while also ranking among the leaders in average (8th, .349) and walks (T8th, 15)... batted .478 (11-23) against left-handed pitching...averaged a HR every 8.15 AB and recorded the first 40-RBI season in the AFL since 1996...logged 4 multi-home run performances with the Surprise Saguaros...hit safely in 23 of 27 games played and closed out the season on a 17-game hit streak, during which he batted .397 (25-63) with 9 home runs and 31 RBI.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid

Like some of you I am not crazy about getting a guy and then immediately having to play him at a relatively new position for him. But that said, who knows, it could work out fine.

He's suppose to be an excellent defensive player, and good athlete, so he might transition just fine.

And his bat seems to be a legit power/production bat, plus he has nice OPB.... has to cut down on the strikeouts, but many yougn players do...lol

I would not mind seeing Sandy try and expand this all into a bigger deal to try and get OLT + MARTIN PEREZ (LHP)+ LEONYS MARTIN (CF)

I would not rule out another team swooping in here for Dickey too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Remember86

Looking at his defensive stats at third base, I'm not getting the organizational comments about him being a good defender. I've seen that quoted in a number of posts about Olt. Perhaps this is my cynicism coming through, but maybe Texas is using them as an advertising technique. Maybe I'm being too simplistic. I know there have been players, some of them quite fine ones (ie. Mickey Mantle), who were converted to a new position because their 'natural' one was taken. But many teams need a left fielder, they go out and acquire one. The Mets have two first basemen, they play one of them in right field. They have two third basemen, they first try the second one in left, it doesn't go well, they try him at first. Then when the real first baseman returns, they try the same player at second base. This in addition to having a poor defensive catcher. I don't think it's asking the Mets too much to not have quite so many players playing out of position.

Now, maybe Olt is a better offensive player than Duda is. It sounds like he has more power than Murphy does. So maybe, trying him in left field would be more worth it than our attempts with Duda and Murphy were. But when I look at the ways in which Alderson needs to improve the team, it's not JUST with acquiring more offensive talent. It's with him finding guys who are a good fit for the spot in the lineup they're being asked to fill, and are playing their position AND can field it well. These are three issues the team has that alot of people don't spend enough time talking about.
At any rate, I have alot of questions about the Mets acquiring Mike Olt. I would really like them to go in another direction in player acquisition.

Edited 12/11/12   by  Remember86
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • oceans48
86, you make a great point. Over the years, this team seems bent on converting guys from one position to another: Jaun Samuel, Randy Hundley, Piazza, Jeffries, Murphy, etc. Has any of them ever shined? If you just signed your "face of the franchise" 3B to a tremendous contract, why would you then go get a prospect who's natural position is the same? And trade your CY winner to gamble on the position switch. It seems the FO is always getting too cute when simple logic dictates simple moves. Need a LF, go get a guy who plays LF, not a young kid you might screw up from day 1!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • knarf0516
I think you got the wrong Hundley. Randy Hundley never played for the Mets. His son Todd did, and was displaced by Mike Piazza.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • oceans48
You're right. In my haste, I forgot it was Todd we switched to LF....but I rememder the comedic effects. Another position switch blunder!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Remember86

Hearing the Mets had traded Lenny and Roger for Juan blanking Samuel is one of my worst trade memories as a Mets fan.

I agree about Wright. IF the Mets had traded Wright, which is what they should've done since we're supposedly rebuilding, then I could've seen acquiring a guy like Olt. But we signed him for a very longterm contract. This isn't like drafting for the best player available and thinking you can convert them to playing another position. Olt has been in the minors for several years already.

It makes no sense to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 86kid
All vaild and reasonable points bro. I can't really disagree witht that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • sheadro
His defensive strengths seem to be his arm strength, athleticism, and instincts. All of which could project well in the out field. I'm not worried about it. He isn't Murphy or Duda
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • 86kid

>>>"His defensive strengths seem to be his arm strength, athleticism, and instincts. All of which could project well in the out field. I'm not worried about it. He isn't Murphy or Duda"<<<

I tend to feel a similar way. I have some reservations about him, but if his skills sets defensively are what the scouts say they are, then I think it possible he could transition into a solid - very good outfielder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • sheadro
And if he produces plus corner outfield power production he doesn't even need to be very good...short of a liability it would be a gain. Defense is important but we need offense and I'd be willing to sacrifice some the former for the latter. I just don't think we would be based on the feeling of most scouts. Fans are thinking more emotionally than logically based on the totally different situations and skill sets of a couple of previous failed experiments.
  • Reply to this Message