• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• I'm not satisfied with a World Championship with Dickey...
  • To:All
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

I'm not satisfied winning a World Series if...Dickey was on another team...

Dickey is simply a winner, and what everything good even means. I'm old school I guess.

You guys that demand a trade, because you know modern baseball business etiquette/acumen are simply of another time and breed.

Dickey would provide Harvey, Niese, and Wheeler leadership. True leadership. The kind that is worth many millions more than he's asking because of the value of what the other players could give if he was our captain/mascot. If you want proof, then research what Dickey did at the University of Tenessee. He's old school and a real old fashioned winner.

May the world have peace when the Mets win the world series in 2013!!!

LETS GO METS!!!
Dickey for President in 2016!!!
G-d bless the back door

Edited 12/11/12   by  metsfanforlife
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid

Nobody is disputing Dickey's quaity as a player or as a person.

But Dickey won 20 games this year and this team still finished at the bottom of the barrel.

We can finish in 5th place without him.

Those of us pushing for a Dickey trade would argue that in order to get to that World Series you want, a team has to be just that, "a team". Right now we don't have one.

You have to give up value to get value, and to be able to fill several of our needs going forward. Trading a 38 year old, who likely won't be here anyway by the time this team is ready to win a World Series, makes the most sense in my view.

We all have sentiment toward Dickey, but sentiment isn't going to fill the holes in the outfield.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

I've always respected you '86kid' so I'll be nice:

Since Dickey won 20 games on a last place team IN NEW YORK---doesn't that tell you anything kind sir?

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • skorpio520

i hear ya,i really do.but you know what? in an age where the anibal sanchez's is asking for 90 million dollars and 15 game winning head cases are getting the largest contract a pitcher ever recieved our 20 game cy young winner is asking for 2 years,26-30 million.how often does that happen? even the 36 year old jeter held his long time team hostage for a crazy contract the yanks are gonna regret giving him.

yes we have holes.and yes olt might be a good mlb slugger but hes not wil meyers,hes far from cant miss.they said payroll was gonna be about the same at 100 mil,we are at around 69-73 now.so why cant we sign a micheal bournes and cody ross's (examples,not the players i want) to fill the holes?and just keep dickey?

yes alot of this may be just wanting him here.ut you know what,the rangers had him for ten years and cut him.its here that he made his mark and its here he should stay. we love him,he loves us.

DICKEY A MET FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid

>>>"I've always respected you '86kid' so I'll be nice:"<<<

And so why wouldn't you be nice me ? I said nothing offensive to you. I merely gave a different point of view.

>>>"Since Dickey won 20 games on a last place team IN NEW YORK---doesn't that tell you anything kind sir?"<<<

Yes, it tells me the Mets have a lot of holes to fill - just like I said. Again, nobody is disputing Dickey's quality as a player, or as a person. We all know this already you you don't have to sell him to us. This is about how we can make a better team overall going forward, not about whether Dickey is a valuable player or not.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

Thanks!! I thought I'd be beat up since my thoughts are so negative!!! <sarcasm>

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

I would stand in a stadium and cheer with you, but what you don't hear me saying is if you want a championship as bad as I believe you do, then you can't have it without a man that has the intangibles that Dickey has. The bonus is that he's a 20 game winner... You don't give him credit for the influence potential that he carries for the other guys on the team...especially our team, since we're ALL babies!!! HARVEY, WHEELER, MAJIA, NIESE, DAVIS, WRIGHT, TEJADA, MURPHY, BAXTER, TURNER, PARNELL, NIEUWENHUIS, DEKKER, and all the other young guys that can help that I'm forgetting...Duda...etc...

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbjmparis

"We can finish in 5th without him."

That's really a silly statement. The reason we finished 5th had nothing to do with Dickey. In fact, Dickey is probably the only player on the team who had NOTHING to do with our problems. So naturally, many want to trade him. I say that because most Met fans seem to be masochists who enjoy pain and suffering and watching lousy baseball.

I don't.

Now I understand the desire to make changes, but the guys who should go are...

Thole, Murphy, Tejada, Duda,Torres, Bay(gone thank God) These are all very flawed, or just plain bad players. It's very hard to see us getting better as long as any of them are on the team. We probably can't get much for the whole lot of them, but they should go. So should the entire BP. Including Mejia and Familia who are awful.

It's actually easier to name the keepers. They are Davis, Wright, Dickey, Niese, and Harvey. We could trade everyone else, they wouldn't be missed. Dickey would.

Keep Dickey. I saw one Met team lose 120. I don't want to see it again. You want to see minor league baseball...watch the Cyclones.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid

>>>"yes we have holes.and yes olt might be a good mlb slugger but hes not wil meyers,hes far from cant miss.they said payroll was gonna be about the same at 100 mil,we are at around 69-73 now.so why cant we sign a micheal bournes and cody ross's (examples,not the players i want) to fill the holes?and just keep dickey?"<<<

Because they aren't signing the Bournes's or Ross's at this point and time. That's just the way it is bro. Besides we done that over and over again for decades now, and have gotten nowhere. I all for getting in some more high ceiling kids and growing this thing the other way.

>>>"Yes alot of this may be just wanting him here.ut you know what,the rangers had him for ten years and cut him.its here that he made his mark and its here he should stay. we love him,he loves us."<<<

As the song goes, "What's Love Got to Do with It " LOL . We all love Dickey, but that's not going to help this team build. And heaven forbid if we should resign him, and he doesn't perform well next year, or the year after. All this "love" and "loyalty" is going to be right out the window with many of this these fans. They did the same thing with Reyes, and with Wright.

I am not saying we can't still win with Dickey here, but I see it as a much harder process to do, than to make the sacrifices now, and hopefully have a more complete team going forward.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

You sound like the man that thinks that if you sleep with money it will keep you warm....I'm sorry, I don't intend to be disrespectful....I'm just tired of hearing all of this modern day business talk as if it works, because it's all very cold business thinking that can't compete with love.

LOVE THE METS IN 2013!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid

I read no further down in your post beyond the words "That's really a silly statement. ".

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

he meant well...

Peace!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid

>>>"You sound like the man that thinks that if you sleep with money it will keep you warm....I'm sorry, I don't intend to be disrespectful....I'm just tired of hearing all of this modern day business talk as if it works, because it's all very cold business thinking that can't compete with love."<<<

Money is the furtherest thing from my thoughts. I make no money from this sport, Wilpon does. This isn't about me, it about the team.

Whether we like it or not, this is a business, and GMs don't make their decisions based on emotional concerns alone. Sometimes it is nice to have that as a factor too, but you can't run a multi-billion dollar industry that way, and they don't.

I know all about intanglibles and all that. I lived to breathed watching one of the greatest intanglibles guy in history, in Hernandez. But that must to weighted against the big picture too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

I like you and can't disagree with anything you say. Emotion wins, money gets people killed.

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid

>>>"he meant well..."<<<

I doubt it - especially since I've seen some his postings before. But regardless, I have no time or patience for people who want to pitch drama at me. I've lasted on this site as long as I have because I don't suffer fools or their foolisness long, before I move on. So, whatever he did or didn't mean is irrelivant to me now.

As for you and I.... I respect the fact that you love Dickey and wish to keep him. I fully understand the possible value he could have to younger players here. However, I have to weight that against the other factors I see - like the fact that we have no outfield, and have other holes to fill. I also take into account that even if we do trade Dickey, we still have a veteran here in Johan, who could also provide guidence to the youth.

I love Dickey as much anyone here, but that wouldn't stop me from pulling the trigger on deal. Not because I disrespect the old ways as you see them, but because I do. Baseball is about traditions, but it is also about business - both on the field, and in the board rooms. The two worlds do, and have, co-existed since the league was formed, so the things I am talking about are nothing new.

I am 45 years old, born in Flushing Queens, and I have been watching this team and this sport since I was old enough to know what a TV and a baseball were. I understand and appreciate tradition as much as you and the next fella, but I also understand there is a lot more to this industry than that and love.

So we'll just agree to disagree about trading Dickey. Which is fine. It takes all kinds to make a world, so I have no problem with other points of view on this.

Edited 12/11/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

I'll be 45 in June, and we come from the same cloth, I'm sure.

I hope what you bring to the table pays us dividends, and what I bring might compliment what you want...that's what a team is, and sometimes you get lucky and get a bonus which is good chemistry.....then all bets are off, and not even talent is necessary!!! It's much less expensive than what the Yankees will give you...I'm a METS fan, not a Yankee's fan...

Keeping Dickey will pay dividends...no business speak!!

LETS GO METS IS ALL I KNOW!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

Newcastle brown ale tonight by the way....I noticed that you're editing your typos as much as me!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • 86kid
Well, if they end up extending Dickey, then I certainly won't be mad about it. Like I said, I love him as much as the next guy. I just feel like the best path for this franchise right now is getting some young high ceiling kids in here to build around Wright. It is not the only path, but I think it could be the more fruitful path. But like I said, it takes all kinds, and opinions, to make a world.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • skorpio520

honestly my man,i see your point of view. i get it.and your probably right.i just dont want to trade him.its been a minute since ive seen someone as stand up and honest as dickey.and i also agree that if he should fall after signing the contract most of those speaking for him now will all turn at the drop of a dime. me? im a ra fan for life regardless.

usually in these boards theres about 75% of us that make sense,and the other 25% of us that just wanna be jock offs and hate everything

we seem to be split 50 50 on this one and its leading to pleasant conversations.its a refreshing change.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

I respect your opinion, but I'm a huge fan of Murphy!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message