• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• The More I Look Into Olt
  • To:All
  • 12/10/12
  • nextyearm

The more I like him. From what I've read this seems to be the positive and negatives for us. He seems to be a guy on the Mets radar and while I don't think he is quite enough, if they can build a nice package involving him I think it could be a great step in the right direction.

lets start with his NEGATIVES..

. Hes a 3rd baseman, so he would be playing out of position for us.
. He is 24 years old and still in AA
.He struck out 101 times in AA in only 354 ab's

Here's the POSITIVES...

.He has tremendous power, and a very smooth swing. 28 homers, 82 rbi, 579 slugging % in only 354 ab's last year.
.He's got a very good build, at 6'2 and 190. he's very athletic as a ball player and has room to get even stronger.
. He's been rapidly improving every year
. He gets on base, last year had a 398 OBP and 391 carrer OBP in the minors.
. He has had a cup of coffe in the MLB, so He's really close, if not ready to contribute opening day.
. Although he played 3rd, he is a very good defensive 3rd baseman and had a cannon arm.
. Not baseball related, but hes a smart kid, who seems to really want to be a star. Says all the right things to the media.

Overall, as with all prospects he is a risk and may end up a bust. I think He has alot of really impressive tools to be a great MLB player and if he can just make more contact I think he can be a 30 homer 100 RBI 275 hitter for us for many years. Thoughts?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
I just don't like the fact that he hasn't played much outfield and that is what the mets need. The mets have tried to convert players to different positions because of their bats and it hasn't worked. I just don't like this trade for the mets, i'd much rather they get a quality defensive out fielder who is comfortable there and has more experience.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JackNicholson
He's athletic enough that I don't think Right field would be a problem for him to play. I think Mets fans are looking at him as a Duda sized player, but this isn't the case.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • nextyearm
I agree. this kid is has a very athletic build at 6'2 190.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • edmet
i like olt, especially if we can package him for stanton. i would offer dickey for olt and 1 of martin,font,sardinas, alfaro. fish need a 3b. how about olt,duda,valdespin and mejjia for stanton? fish likely reject, but if olt proves himself, next offseason olt and 1 or 2 of duda,mejjia,valdespin might get it done depending on what kind of seasons they and stanton have.
i do think if we are going to have olt and duda in the corners, we should make a run at bourn for CF.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546129.6 through 546129.7 were deleted
  • 12/10/12
  • 86kid

I think the kid has a legit middle of the order production bat. I did have some reservations though about him not being a natural outfielder, but from what I heard the Rangers felt he was good out there, and can be even better with more games.

The fact that he is a good athlete and was a "plus" fielder in the infield, can only help the process. I don't think he's that fast, but as long as he is an athlete, and is the hard worker he reportedly is, it could work out fine.

I think if we can get Olt, along with this kid Leonys Martin to play CF, that would be real good. He had very impressive stats ath AAA this year. Both offensively and defensively.

I'd like to see Sandy expand this into a big trade. Dickey + (Flores/Familia/Duda/Murphy in some combonation ??? ),.... for Olt+Leonya Martin+Martin Perez.

Getting Martin Perez would aguement an already strong looking young future rotation.
Wheeler/Harvey/Niese/Perez/Gee

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • kinerskrnr
Would you rather trade Dickey for Olt or Niese for Trumbo?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • skorpio520
might be a good right feilder.heard he has a strong arm.really dont want him though.to me it almost feels like wed be settling. nah,if you cant d'arnaud and gose from the jays just extend him and keep him. my opinion
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546129.11 was deleted
  • 12/10/12
  • 86kid

Keeing Dickey makes less sense to me though. What is the point in having Wright and Dickey, and no way of filling in the holes on this team in the foreable. I mean, at least with Wright he'll be hear another 8 years, but extending Dickey, or to still finish 4th or 5th, doesn't make sense to me.
I mean, it will just basically be a repeat of this year. Two star players, and a team at the botton of the division.

We must cash in on Dickey's value now. Whether we deal with Texas, or someone else, we should make a deal. Okay, so we can't get Myers, but there are plenty of other really good prospects out there. Nothing is going to be 100% perfect with this, and who is to say that Olt won't be a solid, or even very good outfielder ? Plus he bat is said to be a legit middle of the order bat.

I'd like to get Profar obviously, but it looks like the Rangers plan on using him.

Edited 12/10/12   by  86kid
Edited 12/10/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbjmparis
I think he stinks. I wouldn't give up anything more than Duda for him. In other words...nothing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Gepett0
ryan braun was a 3rd baseman once upon a time...if a guy is athletic, usually a corner spot is not difficult to learn....he would be fine there, hes not duda
  • Reply to this Message