Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mitt has top 2 quotes of the year!
  • To:All
  • 12/10/12
  • texccandaj

Romney’s 47% comment named quote of the year

Emma Margolin

Mitt Romney’s failed bid for president did net him one victory—though not the one he was hoping for.

Yale Law School released its seventh annual list of the year’s most notable quotations, and coming in at number one is Romney’s infamous 47 percent comment.

The former Massachusetts’ governor’s campaign was rocked back in September when Mother Jones published a secretly recorded video of Romney at a May fundraiser, declaring that 47 percent of the population is made up of people who believe they are “victims,” and are “dependent on government.”

Despite his efforts to apologize and insist that he does care about 100 percent of Americans, Romney never fully recovered from his politically disastrous remark. The rest, as they say, is history.

Romney also took the Number 2 spot in the list, with his tone-deaf assertion that, as Massachusetts governor, he received “binders full of women” as potential candidates for jobs in his administration. The line became an instant internet sensation.

Here is the full list of Yale Law’s top 10 quotes for 2012:

1. Mitt Romney, “47 percent,” May 17
“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what … who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. … These are people who pay no income tax. … and so my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

2. Mitt Romney, “Binders full of women,” Oct. 16
“We took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet (in Massachusetts). I went to a number of women’s groups and said, “Can you help us find folks?” and they brought us whole binders full of women.”

3. President Obama, “You didn’t build that,” July 13
“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that.”

4. Obama’s lead-in to Romney’s inaccurate accusation that the president did not call the Libya attack an act of terrorism, Oct. 16
“Please proceed, Governor.”

5. Obama, “Horses and bayonets,” Oct. 22
“You mentioned the Navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1916. Well, Governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets because the nature of our military has changed. We have these things called aircraft carriers where planes land on them. We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines.”

6. Todd Akin, U.S. senate candidate from Missouri, “Legitimate r*ape,” Aug. 19
“If it’s a legitimate r*ape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

7. Romney senior campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom, “Etch A Sketch,” March 21
“You hit a reset button for the fall campaign; everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch A Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and we start all over again.”

8. Jill Kelley in a 911 call about the media crews outside her home when news broke of her involvement in the scandal over the resignation of CIA director David Petraeus, Nov. 11
“I’m an honorary consul general, so I have inviolability.”

9. South Korean rapper PSY’s musical sensation
“Oppan Gangnam style.”

10. (3-way tie) Ben Bernanke, “Fiscal cliff,” Feb. 29
“Under current law, on January 1st, 2013, there is going to be a massive fiscal cliff of large spending cuts and tax increases.”

Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) on the Taxpayer Protection Pledge, Nov. 21
“I care more about my country than I do about a 20-year-old pledge.”

Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey on Hurricane Sandy and presidential politics, Oct. 30
“I have a job to do. … If you think right now I give a d*amn about presidential politics, then you don’t know me.”

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Danallrighty
There should be at least 2 or 3 Biden quotes there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...Romney wins because he's an idiot...Christie wins for being honest...maybe he should do like Crist and switch sides because they all hate him now...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • texccandaj

They are fools to hate Christie IMO

Mitt is so lost now thathe is attending championship boxing matches,
talk about being out of place.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...Pacquiao will never want to see him again...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • texccandaj
Manyy wont see him again, their paths will never cross, I doubt if mitt will go to another boxing match.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...the early fights were torture...as short as the main event was, it made up for the long night...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • texccandaj
I cant remember manny ever getting hit so hard.
I doubt if he will fight much longer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...I thoght Marquez killed him the way he hit the ground and didn't move for over a minute...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • texccandaj
It did look pretty scary. He really nailed him with that punch.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Danallrighty
You are ill informed and sound arrogant.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • texccandaj

"There should be at least 2 or 3 Biden quotes there."

You should address your concerns to the Yale Law School, it is their poll after all.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Danallrighty
Yawn.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...are they still counting him out?...HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • onigino

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what … who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. … These are people who pay no income tax. … and so my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

Is the 47% figure incorrect? Misstating a number is not worthy of "quote of the year".

Maybe the entire ___% does not feel as though they are victims. Maybe that part is wrong.

Would another candidate not do the same after determining a certain group will not vote their way?

Morty Seinfeld only needed one more vote, Mrs. Choate, to not get impeached. He didn't worry about swaying those who were voting to impeach.

"I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

Have you ever heard: "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." Could that have been what Romney meant? Meaning, he has no hope of getting that vote so why waste the resources. He didn't say he does not care about these people or that he would not work for these people. It was probably not the best thing to say, but it was "secretly recorded". He didn't just blurt it out "in public".

However, a sitting president declaring outright that "you didn't build that" flies in the face of everything this country has meant to millions of people! Nobody has built anything without government help? And the hindsight rationale of "traveling to your business on public roads" is an insult to anybody who has helped build this country. Is "The American Dream" no more?

I fail to see how a secretly recorded quote, containing a political strategy, trumps an anti-capitalist quote made intentionally to a group of people.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • texccandaj

Manny doesn't need to box for the money. I doubt if he wants to put himself where he will get pounded like that again.

That may be his last fight.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546126.17 was deleted
  • 12/11/12
  • texccandaj
Well take your concerns to Yale law school or did you fail to comprehend who composed the poll?
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546126.19 through 546126.20 were deleted