• Even KC is trying to win now
  • To:All
  • 12/10/12
  • gengo
And we're not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Oldfan

Yeah, I don't get KC trading the top minor league bat for a vet pitcher.

KC was 72-90 last year, worse than the Mets.

You'd think KC would want to build around Myers and trade off some of their other guys. The move makes no sense. Maybe Shields gets them closer to .500, if that's the goal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • murphstates
They think they can win.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JackNicholson

Different scenarios. AL Central is weak and they may have a chance to make playoffs. Us? We'd have to do better than the Nationals, Braves and Phillies.

Might as well wait till Philly is too old next year, Nationals become an overpaid mess and all we'd have left is our classic Braves rivalry.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • edmet
they should have dumped francouer and put myers in rf. they could have signed annibal sanchez or kyle loshe, and kept orridizi (sp?). they could also have explored trading for nolasco.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • edmet
the nats and braves are just warming up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JackNicholson
I think the Braves will stick around. But something is telling me that the Nationals may fizz out. I think this year was maybe their best chance.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • murphstates
Really? They are loaded and have more coming from the minors.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Yes, and it's the dumbest possible thing they can do right now.

They just traded their future for the opportunity to be mediocre. It's too stupid for words.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JackNicholson
It's just a feeling lol. No actual facts behind it. I just feel like shutting down Strasburgh is going to come back to haunt them on this era.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

I think they absolutely did the right thing.

Their window is just opening- They're gonna be a good team for a long time.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • murphstates
If they don't win in the next two years it's brutal. I was astounded when I saw Baseball America rank the players Tampa got. They slotted them into Tampa's prospect pool and Myers is number one, Odorizzi number five, Montgomery mid-teens and Leonard between 20-30. That's in a loaded farm system. If we got them I'd have to assume every one would be a top 10.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Yep. I couldn't believe what I was reading... Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Shields. But even if they were a team that was a pitcher away (which couldn't be further from the truth. Do you see their rotation?) it's waaaay too much.

It was a desperation move because they may actually approach .500 this year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • murphstates
I would have given them Dickey and Gee for Myers alone and Dickey and Niese for Myers and Odorizzi.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld
Couldn't agree with you more... But they definitely had their sights set on Shields for some odd reason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • murphstates
The only possible explanation I can see is they like Shields because he has produced in the AL East. I know he's younger, but Shields is making $9 million with a $12 million option for 2014 so the money was basically a wash even with an extension for Dickey. They have no shot to keep Shields for less than $15 million+ if he pitches well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • Oldfan

I've read Shields at 10.5 mil in 2013, 12 mil in 2014.

Seems if someone signs R.A. to a 2/25 mil extension, total 3/30, he'd be a better deal than Shields in the long run.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • murphstates
Baseball Reference has him at $9 mil, but I think I read he gets some kind of bonus for being traded. Either way, that's what I was trying to say, they could have had Dickey and controlled him for just as long at a much lower cost in prospects.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546125.19 through 546125.20 were deleted
Recent Discussions
fernando rodney
Latest by metsheart - 3:28 PM
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 3:28 PM
Tonight's Lineup
Latest by GoMets6986 - 3:26 PM
Cubs
Latest by metsheart - 3:22 PM
Musician Name Game