• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• My head says trade Dickey, my heart says keep him...
  • To:All
  • 12/10/12
  • brianinwi

Watching 4545_ajd's posts of slow-motion footage of Dickey's ridiculous knuckler and change up make me want Sandy to make R.A. a Met for life.

Foolish, I know, but Dickey is the stuff of legend! How many more pitches will he master before he retires?

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/10/12
  • brianinwi
Who needs Sidd Finch when we have R.A. Dickey?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • metsfanforlife

Agreed.

How about his hall of fame speech from the University of Tennessee?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNpSr79zG4

I hope we keep him too. He's got heart, and is the type of leader that you want your young guys to be around.

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • sheadro
I'm in the same boat and I dont think it's foolish. If we get the right package back I'm fine with it. Right now he is our best and most logical opportunity to get those needs addressed through the trade market, but he isn't the only. We don't have to trade him and a part of me doesn't want to because I know what he brings on and off the field to the franchise, but we are at a place wherebwe have to balance the current roster and the near, long term future

Edited 12/10/12   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • metsfanforlife

Check out this video of his college coaches talking about what he did for his college program. Plus there's footage of Dickey young with short hair pitching in college which is also fun to see...

Skip to 1:54 of the video if you want an exciting moment, but I recommend watching the whole video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZEVpAcNVc

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • TheFriNgE

Both my head and my heart say keep Dickey. There is no guarantee we will have an ace to Replace Dickey in 2014, when we are realistically in a position to add offense and speed to compete. We stand a good chance to make the post season in 2014 with Dickey. The "high impact" outfielder (whoever that may be) Sandy wants for Dickey isn't going to get the job done. Prospects move the clock back, and chances for a bust is high. (we do need to stock the farm, but not by trading our ace, not in this instance)

We must keep Dickey, a trade will set us back. We have lots of money coming off the books in 2014. We do not have to trade. Most of all, we are going to need our stockpile of pitchers, every one. Aces do not grow in trees in Flushing. It just like the Mets and fans alike to wish and hope and expect too soon that Zack Wheeler will pan out to be a top of the rotation guy. The gamble is too high. We must extend Dickey's contract now, all trades off! This sends a positive message to the clubhouse and the fans, that the Mets want Dickey, and will add to that in 2014.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • edmet
great stuff that video, thanks. he is a high character guy, a real leader. hate to see him go, but for the right package we have to. jays and rangers especially jays are dumb not to make deal. jays supposedly wont offer darnaud, rangers supposedly have offered olt but wont include martin. i think he will eventually go to rangers for olt led package. or, niese and a prospect go to jays for darnaud and gose which is less likely. if the mets were willing to spend some $, we could keep dickey and niese and sign m.bourn and cody ross to tide us over until nimmo and others arrive. they wont spend that much, so a trade is likely. i will be happy with olt and 1 of font,alfaro,martin or sardinas. alternatively, niese and mejjia for darnaud, gose and syndegard.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • CoBrA
your head? which head?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • metsfanforlife

I like your idea of keeping Dickey and Niese and finding some money to buy some improvement until the farm can supply better/younger equipment. The Wilpon's should propose an offer that they would do that if we promised to buy some tickets. Show us that they care and then we'll reward them by offering and illustrate the truce by buying lots of tickets. A relationship made in heaven.

Keep believing! in 2013!!

LETS GO METS!!!

Edited 12/11/12   by  metsfanforlife
Edited 12/11/12   by  metsfanforlife
  • Reply to this Message