New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets looking for Olt + Leonys Martin for Dickey
  • To:All
  • 12/9/12
  • 4545_ajd

"John Harper ?@NYDNHarper

Was told at WMeetings that Mets want Leonys Martin, 24-year old OF, as well as Olt for Dickey. If Rangers now sign Hamilton or Bourne... "

And Judging by how much the Royals gave up to get Shields they might just get it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld
Gotta take that one if it's being offered.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • DFAB
I want Profar+Olt+Perez+Buckel......really annoyed that KC were IDIOTS. If they really wanted to get hosed, why couldn't WE do it??? I'm curious to see what the Mets were offering that got turned down....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • nym698641
The weren't offering Shields, which is who they wanted.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • DFAB

which is pretty obvious...they just wanted Shields...THAT'S IT....and they were willing to take a HUGE hit in their farm in order to get him. I don't get it...Shields is good be he is not an ace...though he had an ace season 2 years ago. He is a solid #2. Dickey>>>>>>>>>>>Shields but it's clear that Dickey's age scared KC too much. What about Niese? If you look at the whole package between Niese and Shields, Niese is just as good or even a better pickup. Niese is 5 years YOUNGER. He is much CHEAPER. He is under contract TWICE as long. He is a LH pitcher. Shields has more time in the ML and therefore has a few more good seasons but if you look at what they both did at the same age, Niese has been just as good or better.

Well, KC got burned in this trade due to their Shields fetish and I will laugh when Myers and Odorizzi become AS players that DESTROY KC when they play them....pathetic.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • murphstates

From what's been reported the Rangers walked away from Olt + and never made a counter offer. I'm not a fan of Davidoff, but read his column in today's Post.

He also makes another snide reference to Dickey as the Mets "chatty knuckleballer". That's the third reference by Davidoff to Dickey inferring he is an attention seeker and it makes me wonder if the organization is whispering in his ear.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • joemets22
Perhaps the start of the smear campaign in case they do trade him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • nym698641
Shields has been on winning teams and won big games, thus the nickname Big Game James. Dickey and Niese have not done that. Plus he has a longer track record then Niese and Dickey and a history of more innings and starts in a season then our guys.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • DFAB
would you trade either Dickey or Niese straight up for Shields? I know I wouldn't...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • nym698641
It doesn't matter what you or I would do. It only matters what another team would do.
Other teams value Shields more then Dickey or Niese.
He has a longer history of winning, being on winning teams and being the ace of those winning teams. He has a longer history of being a quality pitcher, with quality innings and quality starts.
Dickey is 38 years old and throws a knuckleball. Niese has yet to pitch 200 innings in a season.
James Shield is a big hard throwing right hander, and GM's value that more then Knuckleballs and Lefties that have trouble reaching 200 innings.
Plus the Royals got Wade Davis also. Those are two really good pitchers for the Royals to get .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • DFAB
ok yea...he's been on a winning TEAM, but he certainly isn't nearly as good as Dickey and I believe Niese has more total value than Shields does when you take everything into account. Being the ACE of those winning team? Lol...don't get carried away now...Shields is a good #2 but not an ace, though he did have an ace season 2 year ago. Look what Niese and Shields did at the same age...not a whole lot of difference. Also, Wade Davis is pretty much a better version of Gee. He is a good BACK end of the rotation starter. What KC gave up to get those 2 pitchers is PATHETIC....
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
It's still early
Latest by ewok54 - 3:30 PM
Cubs
Latest by METMAINEAC - 3:29 PM
You are what your record is
Latest by AdrianMonk - 3:27 PM
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by elguapo111 - 3:25 PM
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 3:11 PM
Congratuations to the Mets
Latest by abbymart - 3:06 PM
Remember when we were 0-3 and everybody overreacted?
Latest by flushing21 - 3:04 PM
Home Field Disadvantage
Latest by AdrianMonk - 3:02 PM
Crediting EY Jr.
Latest by giantsmets - 2:54 PM
This just keeps getting better. lol
Latest by major40 - 2:53 PM