• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Bay - Do the right thing
  • To:All
  • 12/8/12
  • 3 sheets

All we ever heard was what a great guy he is while he stunk and collected his huge contract.

He then took the money left on his contract and ran because the mets can't use him.

If he's such a great guy, let's see him give the million dollar contract money he's getting from Seattle to the Mets to sort of help out a bit. He'll still be making over 15 million from the mets.

It would be a nice gesture Jason being as you were so horrible here.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • TheFriNgE
No player has never given back salary to the team, and probably never will. I suggest that Bay could give to a NY based charity, perhaps to Hurricane Sandy relief. That would mean a lot to New York.

Edited 12/8/12   by  TheFriNgE
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • 3 sheets
That's an even better idea.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • drlekvar
The players association would never allow it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • thebobymon
Take the money and run.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • sheadro
Hopefully he does good thing with the wealth he has but to give it to Mets is silly. Will the Mets give more money before arbitration to Wheeler or Havey if they exceed their rookie contracts? No so why should a player give the money they made away to owners? This is the same team offering $10 million a year to the NL CY Young winner. Bay was a bad signing. That's the risk you take. Bay can go enjoy his money. I wish he lived up to his contract but we cut him and owes the Mets nothing anymore. IMO fans hate on players too much because of what our teams choose to pay them.

Edited 12/8/12   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • 3 sheets
I don't really hate him and I never booed him or any met but I just found it annoying whenever he under performed the announcers would say what a great guy he is and how he feels terrible about the disaster seasons he played so I was just looking for a little generosity, sort of a gift to the organization to help sign Dickey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • PrayedforBay

Why should he? Why should any player give up their money? He doesn't own the Mets, its not in his interest to help them out in that way. He's not a bad guy because the Wilpons decided to pay him. Thats the Wilpons risk that they took on and it turned out to be a bad investment. Risk is part of business, you take your losses and move on.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • 3 sheets

Right. Why should anyone help anyone out. He doesn't owe them or anyone anything. The mets paid him to perform and he didn't. But he's a great guy who really cared that he tied up met money for years while any AA player could have put up better numbers.

But, you're right. Charity begins at home and Bay needs the extra million Seattle is paying him so his kids can live in a house with heat and hot water, have food on their table, and a good school system.

Glad to see you prayed for Bay, religious values spew from your comment. Peace be with you.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • nvmets10

"Why should he? Why should any player give up their money?"

Why "SHOULD" anyone? Because they didn't earn it and that'd be the right thing to do? Obviously I don't ever expect that but there's a great argument to be made for why he SHOULD.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • skorpio520

i do agree he should donate something to the sandy fund (giving it back to the wilpons is just a joke,sorry) but i can say the same thing about ollie,castillo,bonilla,maybe even johan. what we feel he should do,and what he feels he should do are two different things. it was a bad contract,waste of money and if he didnt get it from us he wouldve got it from someone else. i dont know what lead to the decline,maybe he was on roids,maybe it was fenway tha helped him hit, maybe the concussion he got when he first got here was a factor. none of will ever know.

one thing i will say,and this might be just me being spiteful,itll make me sick if he starts pounding the ball again for seattle while they are paying him 1 million and hes collecting his checks from us.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • PrayedforBay

I never said the man shouldn't do charity work/donations. I bet he does. More importantly, how do you know he doesn't?

As far as his relationship with the Mets go, its not his prerogative to worry about the Wilpon's investments, whether it be himself or anyone else on the team. Thats what he was, an investment. He gave 100% as far as I could tell and nobody in the clubhouse ever came out and said he was a bad teammate or didn't try hard, so no, he doesn't owe anybody a dam thing.

He suffered concussions while playing for the Mets, so I could make the argument (and it would be stronger than yours) that while playing for the Mets, his future earning potential was diminished and thus has even more standing and assurance to feel good about the money he was payed during his time here.

Players have every right to cash in when they can, because they might never have another opportunity. Do you see where Boston gave him more money for playing above his contract? Nobody cares about you when you are gone so its just as fair to keep the feeling mutual.

Strictly from a business point of view - which actually is all this is - this is Capitalism. You take risks and live with the consequences. It's not the role of the worker to worry about the owners finances *unless his/her job may depend on it, but I digress and really beyond the point and scope of the conversation here.

If its such an untenable risk, then why did the Wilpons take it in the first place? Why should Bay have to feel an obligation to correct for the Mets inflexibility with regards to payroll? There is no logical argument when you look at it objectively.

Its one thing to be upset as a Mets fan with the teams situation in addition to Bay's poor tenure playing for this team (which is very understandable and I share that sentiment), but its quite another to expect him to give all his money back based on his impact on the teams finances.

And let me finish by asking you, would you be demanding that he give his money back if he actually did well here? The financial situation would still be the same regardless of his performance, so why should that fly as your reasoning to begin with? The Mets problems go beyond Bay and the fault lies more with ownership and management more than any single individual party.

Oh and I'm not religious, I take that as an insult. My name was formally "PrayforBay" so to keep up the sarcasm, I changed it to "PrayedforBay"

Edited 12/10/12   by  PrayedforBay
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • sheadro
The thing is they paid him to condition, practice, play, and make appearances as a representative of the team, ECT. which he did by all accounts and in reality he filled his obligations to the team. The Mets chose to pay him based on what they thought the value of that was and what he would produce for the Mets from those efforts. They were wrong ( very wrong). He didn't live up to the expectations that type of contract dictates, but he didn't seem to do anything wrong within his control. He just lost his ability to hit. Mental, or physical, what ever it was that lead to this strange immediate decline I don't think effort or accountability were the issue. I don't know what Bay does with his wealth. But hopefully he does something better with it than donate it to owners like the Wilpons, or to you through your team. Because isn't that what this is really about? You would like Bay to give the owners of your favorite team more money so you can watch a better team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • 3 sheets

I may not have been clear. I am not asking him to give all the money back. He got the contract and he didn't perform well at all but I can't expect him to give it all back, though, I recall, other players taking less when they also stink.

I suggested he give back one million to the mets which represents the amount Seattle is paying him next year since the mets are still paying his contracted money next year as well.

That would be the right thing to do.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • PrayedforBay

That still doesn't make any sense for the exact same reasons I laid out.

The Wilpons don't need nor should they expect any favors. It's not Bay's concern, he allowed them to defer his contract so the Mets could feel better about releasing him. He deserves credit for that. And if you are really going to make this about 1 million dollars you are wasting your time.

Besides what precedent are you setting? So all players should pay some money back if they don't live up to their contract? So should owners pay players more if they overachieve? How do you determine the formula for that? If one team should expect a player to pay them back to some extent shouldn't all teams expect that? If it were really that big of an issue there would be something like what the NBA did with contract forgiveness.

If you are just gonna say, no I'm not talking about that, I just think he should do the right thing, its the right thing to do.. then how are you defining "right" is there such a thing as right? Can you even define the word? That entirely subjective and with that realization, the whole concept loses all its meaning...

Edited 12/10/12   by  PrayedforBay
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • sheadro
Good thing there isn't some kind of player's union to prevent a player from doing such a thing...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • PrayedforBay
Its a good thing there is, why should the owners hold all the cards? Why does that make any sense?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • sheadro
You didn't catch my sarcasm?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • PrayedforBay
Ah, didn't read your previous post my fault.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • spydermet

"Do you see where Boston gave him more money for playing above his contract? "

You made a great point. If Bay owes the Mets, don't the Mets owe Dickey? Shouldn't they have paid him what a Cy Young is worth? shouldn't they pay him more that $5 mil this year? If a player who doesn't live up to a contract owes the team, then it has to work both ways. There goes the rest of the budget for this year.

• Reply to this Message