• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Dickey might just get Better
  • To:All
  • 12/8/12
  • Moses0507

Who's to say that R.A. Dickey has peaked?

The guy pitched absolutely amazing last season, but that doesn't mean he couldn't pitch nearly or even better in the future.

This wasn't some flash in the pan, Dickey has had 2-very good seasons before 2012 and this season was a culmination of mastering the pitch.

If he has truly mastered the pitch, wouldn't he be able to pitch as good in the future? And if he is more comfortable with the pitch, Why couldn't he pitch better?

As long as he stays healthy and focused, its not like hitters can properly adjust to the pitch.

Even if he pitches only as good as he did in 2010/11 for the next few years, that would be a major success

Dickey has stated numerous times, and other knuckleballers are prime examples, that he only uses 70% of his total physical effort to pitch. The guy has no injury past, and always pitches deep into games, he should have stability to pitch for years.

Why couldn't he be very good for another 3-5 years, at the very least?

• Reply to this Message
Message 546058.2 was deleted
  • 12/8/12
  • MetObserver
That is a great assumption and can very well be the outcome be it with this team or another I will be watching his progress and hoping for the best. Of course if it is for another team I would hope it would be out of division and best if in the other league.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • AdrianMonk

I agree he could pitch as well or better. What concerns me is a sense that the team supported him fairly well last year, and that this might not repeat.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • metsfanforlife

Agreed. Most people seem to want to trade him, when from my point of view, next to Tom Seaver and Dwight Gooden, he's one of the best starters the Mets have ever had. With the coming of Harvey, and Wheeler's potential, isn't this what the recent secret to success for the playoffs has been...pitching?

I would be happy to watch him pitch in 2013 even if we don't extend him or trade him for other guys and be thankful that he's turned into such a stud. He could have just as easily fallen by the wayside...we should be thankful to be in this position. He does deserve to be paid...but only time will tell.

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • MetObserver
Dickey pitched in many low scoring games and in fact left with the lead in at least 3 games that I know of which the bull pen lost.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • skorpio520
yeah ,your right.wakefield pitched until he was 44.and ra has some advantages wakefield didnt have.if he cant be had for a d'arnaud or meyers type ,my first choice is to just extend him. its only two years and the dollar amount is modest compared to what other ppl are asking for.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

'Agreed. Most people seem to want to trade him, when from my point of view, next to Tom Seaver and Dwight Gooden, he's one of the best starters the Mets have ever had. With the coming of Harvey, and Wheeler's potential, isn't this what the recent secret to success for the playoffs has been...pitching?'

When half of the lineup is a gaping black whole and the BP isn't very good, then no great pitching does not really equate to much.

I don't think I've ever seen a team with no legitimate outfielders, but we're about to see one (again) this year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • thebobymon
Bay was a legit LF'er just couldn't hit.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • metsfanforlife

Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Mike Baxter, Scott Hairston, and Lucas Duda.

I LIKE these guys. I don't need a star. I'm a METS fan!!! We can win with dominant pitching and a bunch of kids!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

None of the players you mentioned would be a starter for any team in the division with the exception of MAYBE the Marlins.

You can like them all you want, but none of them are very good. The scouting report on Kirk was spot on... He can't hit from one side of the plate. Duda is no longer a spring chicken and has never really been consistently good enough to be a starter, Hairston is gone, and Baxter would be a very good backup.

Pitching could be good, I'll give you that... Especially is Santana comes back to form. That's just about all this team has going for it, and it won't be enough to make the playoffs in this division.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • metsfanforlife

San Francisco hasn't had a strong hitting team the past few years, yet you know about their success...

I'm sorry to hear that Hairston is gone, I missed that story...

Kirk Nieuwenhuis wasn't given many at bats to work on hitting lefties, so that 'spot on' scouting that you speak of, is not a deep enough study for me to believe it. He's young and will develop under proper leadership.

Baxter deserves to be a starter...I'm not an expert, I just witnessed his heart last year, which is an intangible that the Mets could use LOTS of!!

Do you not remember the 1st half of last season? When the team was told that they weren't getting any help, and that Bay was going to play over the kids, then the whole team quit, and I don't blame them.

LETS GO METS!!!

Edited 12/8/12   by  metsfanforlife
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • metthunder
would rather Dickey's PMA spread among the other pitchers and Warthen. That's positive mental attitude.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • metsfanforlife

Ding ding ding....you sir win the prize!!!

LETS GO METS!!!
PMA in 2013!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • AdrianMonk

I'm okay with trading for a Myers type if that's possible, but I'd rather not bring in a journeyman just to make us look better on paper. Duda showed some improvement towards the end of the season, and may be okay, perhaps .260 with 20 hrs. Kirk has his problems, but he'll work on them. Baxter will be a good role player. I also think Matt den Dekker will end up as our center fielder, and hit better than people expect. He'll also help a lot defensively, making up for Duda's lack of range.

I think they'll end up re-signing Hairston as well. I just hope that they don't bow to pressure and bring in names just to keep people happy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • metsfanforlife

Would really enjoy seeing Hairston. I don't know his story, but he dropped up the roster board on the mets website.

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • 4545_ajd
Not to mention he was pitching with a torn abdominal muscle since April
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • Kranesback
San Francisco has a better hitter than us at just about every position...in fact, you could say that about just about any team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • stearnsy12
Hairston's a FA and we might not be able to afford to bring him back
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • metsfanforlife

Hairston is worth giving a raise. I wish him luck in whatever he chooses to do. I would play him full time in right field, with Baxter in left, and Nieuwenhuis in center. Duda would ride the bench and give days off when necessary, and can also play first base in a pinch...

Davis should hit 50 homeruns this year, after the crazy season he had last year. If we could bring in one masher like Hamilton that might be all we would need to be able to compete...

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message