• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets Can Control the Market
  • To:All
  • 12/7/12
  • Oldfan

If the Mets don't like the FA bats available, they should give Grienke an offer he can't refuse.

It leaves Texas, LA, Bos, KC, Toronto, etc scrambling for pitching and leaves the Mets in the drivers seat.

Move Dickey to Texas for Olt; Niese + to KC for Myers or to Toronto for D'Arnaud.

Rotation: Grienke, Harvey, Santana, Mejia, Gee. Wheeler by mid-season.

Wheeler replaces Santana full-time in 2014. Wright, Ike, Olt, Myers/D'Arnaud would be a nice, young, core.

Edited 12/7/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • dave4585
Maybe if we all pitch in for greinke's salary
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • murphstates
It's a good plan, but you're forgetting who owns the team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • Moses0507

Yeah if the Mets had A LOT of money.

Grienke is going to sign a MONSTER Deal, and be completely overpaid in the process

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld
What you're saying makes perfect sense in principle, but since the team is 'targeting' supreme talent like Miguel Olivo, it doesn't seem likely that the FO is in a position to pay him what he's worth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

When will people understand it's no longer being 'overpaid'. He's going to get what he's worth- Welcome to baseball circa 2012. Victorino just got 13 mil per, Pagan 10 mil per, Upton (the bad one) 15 mil per.

It's not an anomaly anymore, it's the norm.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheChosen1
Where do you play Olt though?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • stearnsy12
Greinke will sign a contract in the 160 million dollar range....we're not even in the same solar system i'm thinking
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • Oldfan

Grienke will be expensive, but they supposedly have some money to spend this year and a lot more, starting in 2014. And, Jeff said he has dollars in his back pocket (even if his pocket's sewn tight).

Grienke's salary would be somewhat offset by the loss of Dickey and Niese salaries and adding Mejia, Olt and Myer/D'Arnaud, all with close to minimum salaries for a number of years.

I realize it won't happen, I'm just throwing it out there.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • Moses0507
Look at Greinke's numbers, he's been a #2 pitcher the last few years and he'll be paid like an Ace.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • Oldfan

I read scouts think he can play a corner OF position.

Maybe not great, but he can't be any worse than Duda in left.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • metsheart
Great plan. Except for the fact Greinke doesn't want to pitch in NY. Even if Wilpon anted up the $$$ to get him he doesn't have the makeup for the intense pressure here. Would have a nervous breakdown. Would wind up in psychiatric rehab. Out for the season.

If this is such a great plan how come no other team w/ $$$ & a pitcher to trade has done it???
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • Oldfan

lol.

Grienke had some anxiety problem years ago. I think people can be treated with meds these days.

<<"Except for the fact Greinke doesn't want to pitch in NY"

Do you know him?

<<"he doesn't have the makeup for the intense pressure here. Would have a nervous breakdown. Would wind up in psychiatric rehab. Out for the season."

I guess it's because pitching for the 4th place Mets has more pressure than pitching in an all-star game, pennant races in 2011 and 2012, and the 2011 post season.

LA is a big market team that's making a run at Grienke. I'm sure they know a bit more about his makeup than you.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • Kranesback
No pressure pitching for us...pretty much nobody will be watching
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546048.15 was deleted
  • 12/7/12
  • Moses0507
haha
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546048.17 was deleted
  • 12/7/12
  • Moses0507

No one wants him, lol

The Mets would HAPPILY give him up and eat most of his salary.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546048.19 was deleted
  • 12/8/12
  • skorpio520
good plan but the prospect that he will accept it is scary.that head case playing here? no,im sorry,i like him as a pitcher,the guys good.but he needs to be on a team like the brewers or even the braves.a team like that.
  • Reply to this Message