• gee for carlos gomez
  • To:All
  • 12/7/12
  • KB24NYM
who says no
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheFriNgE

NO!!!!! ..... no pitcher in rotation nor Wheeler, nor Harvey should be traded for a position player. We need to maintain our area of strength which is pitching, and keep it deep. Gomez would be a tremendous asset defensively, and on the bases, but, not at the expense of a sttrength we already have.

We must extend Dickey
SO we have:
1) Dickey RHP, ace
2) Niese LHP
3) Santana LHP
4) Gee RHP
5) Harvey RHP? or is he a lefty?
---------------------------
Mejia Vegas/ call up
Familia Vegas/ call up
Wheeler AA/ call up

Gee is coming off TJ surgery, so we do not know if he will be 100%
Harvey should be solid, but still unproven
Santana should be fine, but still coming off a non-existent second half... a ? at this point
If we trade Dickey, we would have only ONE proven pitcher in contract, Niese!! and a seriously compromised pitching staff.. we are not as deep as fans seem to perceive.

WE can not afford to trade ANY of our pitchers!

Does anyone need a 2nd baseman with a good bat in exchange for an outfielder with defense and speed? (Murphy for ? and prospect?) I think that's the trade we should be looking at. Flores could then be promoted to play second.

Edited 12/7/12   by  TheFriNgE
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • stearnsy12
yes,i would,but the Brewers won't make that deal...Gomez is their starting centerfielder and as i'm sure you've seen had a bit of a breakout year last year and he's STILL relatively young
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • stearnsy12

we shouldn't look at this team with a one year horizon as our benchmark,we're really not competing next season and shouldn't be looking at '13 as "our" year

with that in mind Gee (who is NOT coming off TJ surgery) while a good candidate as a #5 should not be considered untouchable especially for a starting CFer with speed AND some power to boot

i would deal Dickey and Gee in the right deals for younger players

the Brewers would be crazy to deal Gomez for Gee

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • fredhoss
I do - NO.
Gomez is a year away from free agency and a Boras client.
Gee is a serviceable #5 and under team control for a while.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheFriNgE
I stand corrected. Gee did have surgery and I forgot it was the bloody clot! That was scary! Every team could use more pitching, including the Mets. And if Wheeler pans out, the Mets benefit most from that trade. I'm thinking Dickey has 3 to 4 good years in the tank. That's why I don't think we should be in such a hurry to deal him now. And I believe 2014 will be our breakout year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • jsmet

yes,i would,but the Brewers won't make that deal...Gomez is their starting centerfielder and as i'm sure you've seen had a bit of a breakout year last year and he's STILL relatively young<

I would do it . I think Gomez still has some up side left. And he also is fast and can steal bases.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • DFAB
I don't think we are in a "hurry" to trade Dickey,(would have traded him by now if it was a hurry)...I think they are just waiting for the right package. They aren't going to trade him for anything less than what Dickey is worth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheFriNgE

Fair enough! Do you think we should just take Dickey off the "trading block" and offer him 25 mil/ 2 years? My thinking is that the front office needs to converge on a decision. This would positively affect the relationship of the front office with the players. Sure they understand the business aspect, but Dickey is an ace as things stand today, so why not extend him a contract? We can fill the roster spots from our own system, and what's to prevent us from improving on that in the future?

The message I would send Dickey and the team would be this: "we want you on the team, lets agree on contract terms and get it done".

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • AdrianMonk

No, I'd rather go with the players we already have.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • 4545_ajd
I would do that. And either sign Pelfrey or Lannan and have them compete for a spot with Mejia and Familia.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • Kranesback
You couldn't get Gomez Addams for Gee.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • KB24NYM
lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • DFAB
I think NOTHING should be done with Dickey until Greinke is off the table...which I hope the Dodgers and not Texas sign. We NEED Texas to be desperate for an ace. If we can get KC and Tex in a battle to get Dickey, that would be GREAT. Throw in the Jays as a third team and we could potentially get MORE than just Myers if things go well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/7/12
  • 3bwright

i agree on holding until Dickey is finally either traded or signed

Would I move Gee? YES Gee is a nice pitcher but he is a back of the rotation pitcher

For me the future rotation (if everything works out right - which this is the Mets so take that anyway you want)

Wheeler and Harvey top of rotation

Niese Number 3 and a lefty with years pitching in the Majors to help the young top righties

I think Fulmer will be #4 if he is not moved in a trade

and #5 can be anyone from a long list (even a trade or FA)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gomez would help with his speed in the big OF of Citi

Gomez has the speed to be a leadoff guy (CAN he have the OBP????)

If we get Gomez and has a nice year and leaves FA (if he is in his last year) Mets COULD get a pick for him ---- Then Gee who was a 20th 21st round pick turns into High draft pick (not a really bad move even if Gomez is here for 1 year) --- and with that I DO NOT SEE many teams looking to throw a big deal to a Gomez type player

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • thebobymon
No need.
  • Reply to this Message