• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Would you trade Wheeler for Wil Myers straight up?
  • To:All
  • 12/7/12
  • Matt H

Zach Wheeler for Wil Myers straight up?

Potential top of the rotation right handed starter and a potential middle of the lineup right handed slugger.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheChosen1

If this was an episode of Deal or No Deal, I would cringe as I'm slowing reaching for the deal button, but I'd still press it.

Listen, we are talking about a potential (I know, I know...potential) middle of the order bat who can have an effect on 150+ games a season VS a starting pitcher who has the potential to to be a front line starter and have an effect on 30 or so games a season.

I have to take the bat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • 4545_ajd
Yes
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • 4545_ajd
Myers is a prospect of relatively equal or higher value at a position we are incredibly weak at, vs a position we are really strong and deep at.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheChosen1
Excellent point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • 4545_ajd
As of right now if we had to replace Zach Wheeler in the 2014 rotation his replacement would be Mejia, whereas Myers will be replacing Mike Baxter. I will take Myers and Mejia over Baxter and Wheeler.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • lllfxlll
no
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • kinerskrnr
No. Although the offense is bad now, let's not forget that starting pitching is still the most important thing. If you have a prospect who is trending toward #1 pitcher status then you don't trade him unless it's for someone proven.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546027.9 was deleted
  • 12/7/12
  • WallyWORLD
Yes, with the intentions of dealing Dickey for someone comparable to Wheeler.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheFriNgE

45, I do not see trading a top of the rotation prospect for a slugger. I do see that we should maintain depth in our pitching staff. Injuries will happen. We can NOT afford to compromise it, especially with the assumption we have a surplus of pitchers, and that pitching will be ok if we give somebody up.

Out first priority should be to lock up Dickey, then build better defense around pitching. Better defense automatically improves pitching (as you know) Sign a speedy prospect outfielder or two, or incentive laden contract for a veteran who had a bad 2012. I haven't looked to see who may be available, so maybe someone could make a suggestion? I wouldn't be against trading Murphy for speed and defense, then have Flores take over at 2nd. (our defense improves dramatically)

Our sluggers need to step it up.. we HAVE hitting, ie: Ike, Wright, and Duda, Thole too, 'cause he has some pop and has demonstrated he can hit, no excuses! We need Hairston back with the club, or another veteran with power. I am not so enamored with Murphy's bat, I'd trade Murph for a couple of good outfield prospects with speed, cause we need speed defensively and on the bases as well. I am sick of opposing pitchers having an easy time striking out the next Mets hitter because nobody can steal a base.

... Baxter can still add depth to the outfield.

We can not plug all the holes at once. We live and die with Parnell as closer or Francisco. The Mets should resign ACOSTA, for the simple fact he added that OFFSPEED pitch and had a teriffic second half. The pen should be addressed last, perhaps at the ASB, or even next off season.

The pen is what it is. I can live with it, if we make strides elsewhere. Dickey at the top of the roation definitely will give the pen a break, but we need to make some progress defensively. Our guys can hit; They just need to do it!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • 86kid

Point taken, but true #1 and #2 starters are a lot harder to come by than a slugger in at an ourfield position. Teams are more apt to covet the potential front end pitcher, rather than the slugger.

I our case, we are trying the build around a core of young pitcher... Wheeler/Harvey/Neise/Mejia/Fulmer...etc. I think we should stick to this blueprint - epsecially when we have a another extremely viable option to getting the talent in the outfield we need, via trading Dickey.

Dickey is a decade and a half older than Wheeler, will costs a ton more than Wheeler if we extend him, and Dickey will be basically pitcheing for a non-conteding team the next two years if we keep him rather than cashing out on him while he's at peak value.

In short, I would not deal Wheeler for Myers, but I'd deal Dickey for Myers, or for another quality pacakge from KC, or whomever.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/7/12
  • TheFriNgE

What I am saying is pitching, pitching, pitching! Trading Wheeler for Meyers makes no sense to me, since a top of the rotation prospect is far more valuable than ANY potential power hitter. We are talking about TOP of the rotation......

The Mets plan needs to be built around pitching, which means better defense. We should be strenghtening our pitching staff, not deconstructing it! Please do not assume we are so strong in pitching that we can afford giving up Wheeler, because we can not afford to!

The outfield holes can be filled for now, cheaply, but with above average speed and defensive skills. We will have Duda in left, so, he has to step it up offensively, plus add a couple of cheap veterans who can hit for power on the bench. The outfield can be more permanently filled next year. (Johan comes off the books) Let's build our pitching!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheFriNgE

I'm with ya all the way about Wheeler. I understand how trading Dickey now for an "impact player" (outfielder) plus prospects would improve the team's offense, plus add depth to the system.

I also understood the Mets have a very long shot, or no shot in 2013. If we don't have Dickey.. we're without an ace, and without a bonafide closer.

However, I believe the Mets can be contenders in 2014. For now, Dickey will help fill the seats, will help the Mets financially, even with the 13 mil or so due in 2013 (if he is extended a contract, and the Mets better not bring him back on 5 mil, otherwise the Wilpons bury their heads in the sand.) Dickey is good for the Mets on and off the field, and he wants to play in NY.

My plan for the Mets would be building around pitching, and improving defense now, then improve on hitting next offseason (for the most part) while maintaining above average speed and defense. There is one point everyone seems to be overlooking. Bay will not be in the lineup, so our hitting just improved by default. Johan and Bay come off the books next year, so, the front office should be poised to add a decent FA outfielder then. In the meantime, there is no telling how much Baxter and Valdy can improve their defensive skills. They probably will.

oops.. forgot Nieuwenhuis and Den Dekker. (hopefully we re-sign Hairston) These guys have to rise up to the opportunity!

Edited 12/7/12   by  TheFriNgE
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • spydermet
We were weakest with our pen and at catcher. These should be priorities, other than resigning Hairston or signing another outfielder.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TheFriNgE

True, but we can not fill all the holes all at once by giving up the strengths we do have. Our need for a catcher could be addressed now, MUCH better to address that later. Dicky should be our next priority, then add a few cheap arms to the pen, and fill the bench. We need Hairston back.

Thole is just going to have to step it up, period!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • spydermet

"What I am saying is pitching, pitching, pitching! Trading Wheeler for Meyers makes no sense to me, since a top of the rotation prospect is far more valuable than ANY potential power hitter. "

We have enough pitchers and prospects to fill our rotation. I agree that pitching is important. At the same time, our pitchers won't pitch shutouts every game. Even then, we need at least one run. Acquiring a power hitter is just as important. I would like to see the best complete team possible. I would make that deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • DFAB
This is as fair and as even a deal there is. Both sides have equal risks. I'm only in favor of this if Dickey can bring back another top tier pitching prospect from another team.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546027.19 was deleted
  • 12/7/12
  • jsmet

Would you trade Wheeler for Wil Myers straight up?

Wheeler and Harvey no. Niese or Gee yes.

• Reply to this Message