Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Perfect scenario re Dickey trade
  • To:All
  • 12/6/12
  • DFAB

IMO

Greinke signs with Dodgers
Lester/Shields 1 or both go to teams not named KC (or the Jays for the matter)

The advantages to this are fairly obvious. KC will automatically become much more desperate to add a front line starter and since Dickey would be the only one left, they may be inclined to move Myers at that point. If Texas TOO is in the mix, there could potentially be a mini bidding war between the 2 teams for Dickey so we might be able to get back MORE than we originally expected.

If the Mets are dead set on Myers, Texas is the PERFECT team to drive up the price. They have already shown interest in Dickey and are already willing to give up a top prospect to get him so just to MATCH, KC has to offer Myers to have any chance at getting Dickey. Dickey would look VERY attractive to Texas do to the fact that it would be very feasible to dump a bunch of money into Hamilton AND acquire a front line starter they were hoping to have in Greinke. They would probably prefer to have a Hamilton/Dickey combo instead of having just Greinke.

Since Texas would most likely see things this way, they would probably be willing to overpay as well. I could easily see a package of Olt+Cody Buckel from Texas if they sign Hamilton. We could then go back to KC and demand for Myers+. If Myers is the prefered acquisition, we can make an offer of Dickey+Mejia for Myers+Odorizzi and tell them if they don't accept NOW, we will take the offer from Texas.

I think this is the best case scenario and PRAY that it works out like this....any better scenario out there?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • dejavu1
Better scenario: Ned Yost trips on acid for 14 hours, see's vision of God telling him to trade Myers and Odirozzi for Dickey and Flores, then makes that deal the next day.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • 86kid

Getting both Myers and Jake Odorizzi would be a major victory for Sandy.

We are going to have a hard enough time getting Myers alone, let alone getting their best pitching prospect too.

But hey, who knows. If the right package gets but on the table by Sandy, it might be possible.

Right now he is waiting teams out, and I think that's exactly what he did to get Wheeler.

At some point the supply is going to shrink, and at that point KC just might not feel like holding unto Myers so hard and end up being left with a chair when the music stops.

We shall see how it plays out.

I will say what I've said on other threads though... I am not trading Wheeler, nor am I inclined to trade Niese. Dickey? Absolutley he is the one that should be dealt. I am also fine with trading Flores, or Mejia, or Familia in order to sweeten the pot.

Here is a another thought.... Since KC has no deparate need for position players, and doesn't really need seem to need Myers, would people be open to the the idea of Brando Nimmo being added to the package with Dickey ?

It would give KC youth back in return, for some of the youth they are giving up in Myers and Odorizzi.

Obviously Nimmo is years away from the majors, but since they are a young team, and are pretty well fixed at the major league level, maybe they wouldn't mind waiting on Nimmo to be ready a few years down the road, and he'd be there to replace guys as they become FA eligible...etc ??

For the Mets, we'd be giving up a #1 pick, but replacing him with one who can help us right away.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • dejavu1

If we are getting Odirizzi back then a trade of Dickey and Nimmo is acceptable.

I also am not in favor of trading either Wheeler or Niese. But if no one bites on the package we want i'd be more inclined to trade Dickey at the deadline when some team about to make a run at the playoffs overpays.

Best thing we can hope for is Greinke landing with the Dodgers.

Neither Lester nor Shields is moving from his respective team. That division is wide open for the taking these next few years, doubt those teams are willing to take a step back when its this much of a toss up.

If Greinke is a Dodger expect a huge interest in Dickey then.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • DFAB

I think outside transaction need to happen before KC breaks down and trades Myers...and hopefully it happens.

"Here is a another thought.... Since KC has no deparate need for position players, and doesn't really need seem to need Myers, would people be open to the the idea of Brando Nimmo being added to the package with Dickey ?"

I think we need to hang onto Nimmo. He may turn into a future HOFer or a bust. By age 22, we should have a good idea of what direction he is going in. Throwing in DD or Kirk would be more ideal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • 86kid

>>>"Greinke"<<<

Given the Dodgers ability to spend big, I'd say Greinke in LA has a high probabilty of happening.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • 86kid

I love Nimmo, but he is years away, and a lot of things can happen between now and then to him.

If it means we can get Myers and Jake Odorizzi, and not have to lose Niese, then I'd include Nimmo in that deal without much of a delay.

We'd be losing a 38 year old pitcher who likely wouldn't be around by the time this team was ready to contend, and prospect who is sveral years, at least, from helping us get there.

Myers and Jake Odorizzi can go into our starting lineup, and rotation, right away and have an impact.

Edited 12/6/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • RomneyandRyan
Mets should have moved Dickey last year, when teams are in the heat of a playoff battle and there's heavy pressure from fans to win they would have been more willing to part with prospects.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • DFAB
I would insist on Mejia or something. If Nimmo was the deal breaker, I guess I would have to consider it.
  • Reply to this Message