• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Can't obsess over increasing payroll
  • To:All
  • 12/6/12
  • anthony888

In all fairness to the NY Mets, the organization has never been one to skimp in the payroll department. We've had some of the highest payrolls, in MLB. Yet, the fan base is screaming for us to spend more money.

I was watching Frank Wren of the Atlanta Braves discuss how they want to address their needs for an outfielder. I was amazed at how this organization had managed to keep next years' committed payroll at 55.3m, yet field a team that just won 94 games, and may have improved.

if I have to take a guess, this has to be our goal.

As an organization we've sustained lots of damage from bad contracts. Bay, Ollie, Pelf alone cost us 100m, and gave us NOTHING in return.

Therefor, I have now decided to give our Mets my 100% unconditional support to get payroll down, while we continue to sow our own farm.

I think we can do this.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • johnyringo

I hate when people use the fact that we always get burned by FA's as an excuse to not try and them use them going forward.....lots and lots of teams have had alot of sucess with FA's....just not the Mets

It is possible to make good FA signings so we should still try

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • mobeen
Atlanta Braves is a model franchise. They had a couple of bad years but are back on track. Can't say that about the Mets
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • captainmet
Short term signings are not nearly as risky. All we need is Hairston 2 yrs, a catcher for 2 and bullpen short term and a rightfielder who is hopefully young
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • alfolerud
We nned Hairston for what purpose? Add a bench player?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • melloca
The Mets don't want to offer a 2 year deal to Hairston, as I will not be surprised if another club does and overpay and he takes their deal.
  • Reply to this Message