New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Wow. Blanton signs 2yrs/15 million
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

He's terrible. What is going on?

Welcome to the new free agency. Times they are a changin.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • DFAB
PERFECT timing for these FA costs to increase....good thing the Mets can afford to spend...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • bbyjean616
But we'll hear the same excuse that we're smarter for not "over spending"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • nextyearm
you know what that means. R.A. Dickeys starting to be that much more attractive..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates

And more expensive. We keep hearing R.A. wants 2/$30 million and the Mets are offering 2/$20 million.

Realistically, why in the world would R.A. accept less than $15 million when Joe fricking Blanton gets $7.5 million?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Blanton is awful. Even worse than Pelfrey...

Could pelfrey make over 10 million in this FA market? Is that even possible?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Realistically, why in the world would R.A. accept less than $15 million when Joe fricking Blanton gets $7.5 million?"

Because he is not a free agent and could lose it all if he gets hurt.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates

He could fall down the stairs tonight too, but he still isn't signing that contract.

It's ironic, when we get in these debates about his trade value most people here argue it's off the charts even though he's 38 years-old, yet we expect him to sign a laughable contract because he might get hurt.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

"He could fall down the stairs tonight too, but he still isn't signing that contract. "

Much better chance that he gets hurt in the course o pitching and practicing during a 200+ day baseball season, then of him falling down the stairs. In 2011 he tore his plant fascia last year he tore a muscle in his abdomen, he was able to play through those but I am sure it he is very weary that the next injury he gets he might not be able to play through.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates
The how can we expect another team to surrender a top package for a pitcher we believe should sign a seriously under valued contract due to the possibility of injury?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd
Risk for Dickey is $20M financial security for him and his family, more money than he has made in his entire career, Risk for a team trading for him is a prospect who may or may not work out. Not quite the same thing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates

So the object for the Mets has now become to <screw> him out of what he's worth because of a slight possibility he could get hurt?

If I'm Dickey I take my chances.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd
The object of the Mets is to get the best possible deal they can.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates
As I said, if I'm Dickey and they think I'm signing for $2.5 million more than Joe Blanton I get an injury insurance policy and tell them where to stick that offer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd
Well you aren't Dickey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

So a Cy Young winner is worth 2.5 more than Joe Blanton?

Is this Bizarro universe?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • ILikeToSneeze
I think it's a good signing for the Angels. He put up 2.5 WAR last year and with the current market being ~$5M per win, he provides some serious surplus value if he plays at last year's level.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 86kid
Owners are throwing money around right now, but will be regretting some of theses deal a year or two from now no doubt. I can see Pagan's contract being the 2nd coming of the deal the Angel
s gave Gary Matthew's Jr years ago.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd
Not about what they are worth its about what they can get paid, Blanton isn't worth 15x as much as Mike Trout but he is getting paid 15x as much.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Irrelevant comparison, as he is not nearing FA status.

Dickey, as of right now, will be an FA in 2013. Big difference.

• Reply to this Message