New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Just Extend Him Already!
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • METMAINEAC

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/ra-dickey-rumors-wednesday.html

Squabbling over a couple of bucks, or likely waiting for someone to overpay.

I would imagine if nothing gets done tradewise in Nashville, he gets his extension here.

All the cards are on the table.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • deviljuice

Two years $30M is not unreasonable. The man just won 20 games and the Cy Young Award.

Two years $20M sounds a bit like wishful thinking, considering that Dan Haren just signed for a bit over $13M and had a year nowhere near Dickey's.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • thebobymon

I think it will get done if he isn't traded.

The figures are probably so the team that wants to trade for him has an idea of where their extension would begin.

Or not.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsicle

there's no need to rush into a contract extension with him. Let James Shields get traded. let Grienke sign. After that happens, then you'll see teams get desperate & offer more for Dickey.

Mets can extend Dickey (lol) any time between now & July 31st. Ideally it gets done one way or another before spring training, but even if they take him into the season on the 1 year deal, I doubt they "reyes" the situation & let him walk.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

Alderson said something should be resolved over the next 10 days or so.

I'm with you. I wouldn't do a thing until some teams are out on Grienke and some of the other vaailable starters.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates

Dickey has already said he will not negotiate during the season. Alderson said this today.

Similarly, although Alderson later told MLB Network Radio, “We have to look at all possibilities,” he also told USA Today that he is more likely to keep Dickey without an extension at this point, though that is not his preference.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

The Mets need to trade either R.A. or Niese.

With the young pitching in the system, trading a strater, preferably Dickey, is the only way this team can get good enough to compete in a couple of years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

<<"more likely to keep Dickey without an extension at this point, though that is not his preference."

I think, even though it may not be the case, its better than giving the impression Dickey must be traded before the start of the season. Worse case scenario is that Dickey doesn't sign an extension and gets moved at the deadline for a prospect.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates

Jeffy boy also.

Speaking to the media, Jeff Wilpon reiterated that Dickey could return to the Mets for 2013 without an extension, and made that option sound more realistic than a trade, according to ESPNNewYork.com's Adam Rubin

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

Dickey for the first 14 years of his professional baseball career played on 14 back to back 1 year non guaranteed contracts until the Mets gave him a 2 year deal 2 years ago. Dickey and his wife have moved 37 times to follow his baseball career and he wants stability.

Dickey wants to sign an extension, his price will come down. The Mets know that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • METMAINEAC

Provided we are not in the hunt.

Frankly, I know we are thin in a lot of areas, but makes more sense to me to extend an ace, rather than roll the dice with prospects.

How many times do you hear something along the lines of "pitching wins championships".

The staff as is could unravel at any point. A lot's being banked on 57's return, Gee remianing solid, same for Niese, and upward movement of Harvey. $hit, the one sure thing is the guy we want to ship out of here. A lot of "ifs" there.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • METMAINEAC
That, and every other interview, or chance he gets, he reiterates his desire to remain a MET.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
Doubt Dickey will roll the dice going into 2013 without an extension. If he has bad 2013 or gets injured that's the end for him. Would rather get GUARANTEED $$$ for next 2-3 yrs & know where he'll be playing/ not have to move for the 38th time in his career.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

<<"How many times do you hear something along the lines of "pitching wins championships"."

I firmly believe in that, but you've got realistically look at the Mets window and determine if they can win a champioship next year or during the 2 years of Dickey's extension.

If the Mets are heading in the right direction and are taking a more youthful approach, you'd hope the 2 players get back for Dickey, along with the extra 10-15 mil in salary relief ( a 3rd player), would put them in a better situation going forward. Even though Harvey and Wheeler would be in the rotation with Dickey in 2014, chances are they'll be better pitchers a few years later.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/11/12
  • METMAINEAC

6M apart?

This has to be more about waiting for a team to overpay in a trade than being this petty.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • murphstates
If I'm Dickey I'm rapidly approaching the point where I tell them I will not sign an extension and force a trade. The offer on the table is an insult.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112
I'm fairly certain the Mets and Dickey have discussed more than you read in the papers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • murphstates
I'm fairly certain they haven't discussed an extension he's willing to sign.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112
So you are suggesting the mets extend him without exploring the trade route further?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • murphstates
No, he should be traded. It's doesn't help either cause to have people inside the organization leaking embarrassing offers to the press.
  • Reply to this Message