New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Francessa with Alderson
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

Wow.

Is Alderson really this out of touch with the market?

He giggles at the contracts guys are signing and says teams must be spending money from next year's new national TV deal. Why aren't the Mets? Guys signing for more than the Mets pegged, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Surprised teams are more interested in signing FAs, than making trades. Then justifies it by saying why would a team trade prospects when they can fill needs with FAs. Why aren't the Mets?

This guy's depressing.

Maybe the Mets will go home, regroup, decide to spend some of the TV money and get some players before they're mostly gone.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545928.2 was deleted
  • 12/5/12
  • joemets22

Well we keep getting told he's smarter than all of them. Even though other teams are also able to bring in low-cost guys or guys on minor league deals that contribute to the major league team and he hasn't.

I also find his snarkyness about contracts to be funny considering he spent more on Francisco and Rauch last year than some of these teams are spending per year on Cf's, or a guy like Cespedes last year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • deviljuice
He sounds like my 75 year old uncle who is angry because he used to pay about $35 per week in rent back in the 1960's and now rent is in the thousands.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • melloca
What Mike should be asking him is why is he so smart since the decisions that he has made has produced 4th place finishes every year he has been here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan
Yeah, maybe he gets other GMs in a room and tells them that's not how we did it in the 80s.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30
Just heard the interview. The Mets still are unable to multitask. They are only trying to trade Dickey for top tier prospects, while the other teams are not willing to part with them. The other teams are spending new TV $ on free agents. Why are the Mets not in sync with the other teams in spending TV $? The Mets are in a time warp. They deferred $15 million with Bay & $8 million with Wright, so $23 million has been cut from the 2013 budget, while their TV revenue is increasing, and they are not involved in any significant FAs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

<<"to be fair victorino pagan and ludwick are older and very overpaid"

From a fan's perspective, I agree with you completely.

From a GMs perspective, I would think (hope) someone who gets paid all year to monitor things, would have had a better clue coming to the meeting how other GMs would conduct business. To not think other teams would spend money they'll receive next year from a new TV contract seems like a gross miscalculation or the Mets simply preferred to bank the money for a year before having to spend SOME of it.

Its not like there's one rogue owner out there spending this year. It can't be explained as Loria just trying to fill a new stadium.

Pagan signed for 4/40, but there were several teams in the mix. Victorino at 3/39 seems very high, but Cleveland (big market city) reportedly offered 4/44. I'm guessing they weren't the only teams willing to give him good money.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

<<"so $23 million has been cut from the 2013 budget, while their TV revenue is increasing, and they are not involved in any significant FAs. "

I wouldn't say its been cut from budget. It's my impression the Mets are still going to spend as much or more than last year. Yeah, I know, seeing's believin', but there's still the whole winter.

There's also the Pelfrey, Young, Torres, Rauch, Ramirez, Hairston, etc money. Some of which goes to raises.

Maybe the Wilpon's need to toss their new TV money into the equation and get some players.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsicle

Overpaying for the available free agents this season is not a smart move. The 2 superb FAs in Grienke & Hamilton aren't signing here & there's reasons why big market clubs shouldn't be interested in them anyway.

don't get on the mets for not overpaying for a guy like Shane Victorino or Angel Pagan. Both of those contracts are horrible.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545928.11 was deleted
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

Next year's FA class is worse. When would be a good time for them to improve the team?

Not getting on him for not signing Victorino or Pagan, rather the Mets apparent misread of the market, once again. It's like they're walking into Tavern on the Green, looking at the menu and walking out because they based their meal money on what they paid at Outback the prior week.

Seriously, he sounds pretty clueless. Maybe its just a rope-a-dope act.

Edited 12/5/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • fargol

"When would be a good time for them to improve the team?"

So he should just go out there an overpay for mediocrity? Like Ludwick? Or should he have offered Pagan 12 mill a year, or maybe 18m for Victorino?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

I like how you always answer a question with a question, so I'll do the same to you.

Did I say anywhere that the Mets should overpay for Victorino, Pagan or Ludwick?

How have you determined these 3 guys are overpaid when highly paid GMs have set their 2013 value in the free agent market?

Do you think the Red Sox and Giants (recently successful teams) just throw darts at a board to determine how much to pay their players?

Do you think its a great possibility the Mets can make significant improvement if they continue to acquire only the lesser free agents?

Edited 12/5/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30

Starting in 2014 teams get an extra 25 million per year from the MLB national TV deal. Thats not 25 mil per year, but an EXTRA 25 mil ontop of what they were already getting.

This is the resource the other teams are tapping into and spending on FAs.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mlb-new-national-tv-deals-worth-52-million-per-year-for-each-team

Edited 12/5/12   by  robrock30
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • fargol

I was responding to what I interpreted as a "knock" on SA for being hesitant to overpay for mediocre players just for the sake of putting new names on the roster.

If I misinterpreted that, I apologize.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
"Do you think its a great possibility the Mets can make significant improvement if they continue to acquire only the lesser free agents?"

Yes. Would be enough improvement to be at least in WC hunt for most of season if Mets just get AVERAGE OF vs below average in 2012 (especially LF). And get AVERAGE BP vs 2nd worst BP in MLB.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30

Sandy in the interview as usual was playing the fool and treating us the fans and media as fools.

They have deferred $23 million with the Bay & Wright deals off of the 2013 payroll, while their share of the national TV deal revenue is increasing by $ 25 million per year.

Why are the Mets not spending on quality FAs like the other teams are doing? They are not being honest.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

No, more after listening to his interview and him talking about how surprised he was at how much teams are spending this year. He thought it was due to extra money coming in from a new TV deal that begins next season. It just sounded to me like they came in unprepared, while other teams were ready to spend to fill their needs.

He then went on to say other teams weren't interested in trading because they were filling their needs without having to give up players (used the Red Sox as an example). This after he's been talking all off season about improving the Mets thru trades.

Yes, Victorino, Pagan, etc were overpaid, but it appears the league is determining they'd rather spend extra money on FAs than lose prospects. At some point, the Mets will need to climb on-board. Maybe, based on where the Mets are today, it's not the right time, but sometime soon they'll need to adjust their stategy and make better determinations of the market.

I was cautiously optimistic when they extended Wright, so I guess I just expected a lot more this week.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Mort2112
What quality free agents?
  • Reply to this Message