• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Jeff Wilpon is an A Hole
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • nym698641
If I have to hear him one more time say we are keeping some money in our back pocket so we can add payroll at the deadline, I will poke my eyes out. Please tell me the time since they have been saying this over and over again that they have added payroll?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Mort2112
Why do you keep listening to him if it upsets you?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • nym698641
Hard not to listen when you are a fan.
The problem is he never says anything different or truthfully.
This lie about saving money so we can add payroll at the deadline has been going on for far to long.
They never add to the payroll and make the team better at the deadline and that is why they always collapse.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Mort2112
OK suit yourself.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • melloca
Jeffy as we all know is BSing as he is trying to con the clueless one's out their. Jeffy is not spending money this offseason. SA will not be a buyer at the trade deadline either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • kinerskrnr
Did he explain why our AAA team plays half way across the world?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • nym698641
I guess Vegas was the only town that would take them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd
Mets were 4 games under and 12 games out at the deadline, upgrading the team doesn't only cost money it costs prospect, would it have been worth it at that point?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • nym698641
At the All star break they were six games over and 4.5 games out and they had no intention of trying to add payroll and make a run. That destroyed the teams morale especially David's. They have never added payroll. Name the season they added payroll. Especially in 2007 and 2008 when they were leading. The Wilpons just keep talking about adding money and getting better but never do.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

"At the All star break they were six games over and 4.5 games out and they had no intention of trying to add payroll and make a run"

How do you know that?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • nym698641
Because other teams were making moves and the Mets weren't. Just because the Deadline in the 31st doesn't mean you wait until the 31st. Other teams make moves to stay in contention when they can. Last year the Mets in the same position traded away Beltran during the all star break and the team died. This year the Mets did nothing and the team died. They never do anything to add payroll and to help keep a good first half going forward.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • METMAINEAC

chicken or the egg.

Bottom line the GM/Owners were evaluating the teams chances of making a run before spending.

So basically, your argument is that the team should have spent and hoped the aquisitions would have maintained first half success into the playoffs.

What acquistions would you have made to achieve this?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Last year the Mets in the same position traded away Beltran during the all star break and the team died."

And we got back Wheeler.

"This year the Mets did nothing and the team died"

And how would you have felt if they had dealt a prospect like Harvey to get a piece and the team still died? Like the Giants did when they traded for Beltran.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • AdrianMonk

It is important to maintain financial flexibility.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • nym698641
Not when you never use it.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545923.16 was deleted
  • 12/5/12
  • DFAB

"Mets were 4 games under and 12 games out at the deadline, upgrading the team doesn't only cost money it costs prospect, would it have been worth it at that point?"

I didn't expect the team to make a huge acquisition and give up tons of prospects but I DID expect them to make a trade where all they had to do is basically take on the contract (Krod for example). A trade like that would have costed a nobody prospect and would have just had to pick up the contract. THAT is why I was annoyed at ownership (since they were the ones calling the shots). I honestly believe that they expected to not be competitive last season and when they had "money to spend at the deadline", what they REALLY meant was "we aren't spending because it is pointless since we are out of it." THEN...we started to win and that would have put a ton of pressure on ownership to spend to improve the team due to the team's success. But in the end they didn't have to worry about it since the team collapsed and got to use their "we're out of it anyway" excuse which I believe was the plan since the beginning.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • DFAB

"Not when you never use it."

+100000000000

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

"I didn't expect the team to make a huge acquisition and give up tons of prospects but I DID expect them to make a trade where all they had to do is basically take on the contract (Krod for example)."

Who was available like that at that time?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • DFAB
I know Krod was available and I'm sure there were others that wouldn't have cost us and good prospects. I obviously can't say SPECIFICALLY which players since I don't have access to any of the information the GM's do. Broxton was traded to the Reds I believe as well...and that was the guy I wanted us to sign from day 1. The decision not to trade for anyone had much more to do with money than anything else.
  • Reply to this Message