• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• part of sandys plan?
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • skorpio520
You know how other teams gm is basically balking at giving up anybody because of dickeys age and that hes a knuckler? I kind of have to wonder if Sandys making offers he knows other teams wont do,but if they do,great for the team. That way when extension negotiations come back up and sandys got his offer in his hand ,2 years 21-24 million (no,i dont know if thats the offer).and dickeys agent says he can more on the open market. Sandy can say something like ,are you sure? because if teams dont want to give up a prospect because your 38,what makes you think they will want to give 30 million when your 39?
just a thought.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Sipo8878
Pretty sly, but teams are balking because of Sandy's price as well as the fact RA will command a nice deal. If he has a good season and hits the open market next year, I wouldn't be shocked to him get what he asks for with so many teams in need of starters.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan
Most teams (not the Mets) are willing to overspend in free agency because they don't have give up talent. There are a lot of teams interested in Dickey, just unwilling, at this point, to give up 2 of their top 4 prospects.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • skorpio520
not saying its gonna work.just saying maybe thats the angle he is going for.i think its kind of a dangerous game for both to play...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates
Hiroki Kuroda just got $15 million and turned down more.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • MetObserver
That is probably because the pinstripes are so slimming.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • brianinwi

The Mets are in a very strong negotiating position. They have no pressing, urgent need to trade Dickey at all, nor do they have to negotiate a contract extension with him right now. They have a hot commodity that's very much in demand.

Alderson is right to ask for the moon for Dickey. If he gets it, it will serve the Mets well in the long run. If he doesn't get it, he can:
- use that as leverage to negotiate a good deal on a contract extension for a player who has already stated that he'd prefer to stay in New York;
- try to trade him again at the deadline when other teams may be more desperate for a front line starter, or
- do both.

So far, I'd say Alderson is playing this exactly right.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
"If he has a good season and hits the open market next year, I wouldn't be shocked to him get what he asks for with so many teams in need of starters."

"IF" Dickey has a good yr. And "IF" Dickey doesn't get injured. Those are BIG "IFs." Is Dickey willing to take that chance in 2013 to get to FA?? Or rather get GUARANTEED $$$ up front for next 2-3 yrs?? At age 38 odds are he wants $$$ security & certainty of where he'll play. Plus he said on Jon Stewart's show last night that he "Loves it here (NY)."

Edited 12/5/12   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message