• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Fans From Other Teams...
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • beingfrank

Fans from other teams don't want Dickey. I'm sure a few do, but the general consensus is a big NO to any trades involving their top prospects. Of course, what the fans want does not matter in the end, but the feeling seems to be...

he's too old
he has had only one good year(this is a fallacy of course but many believe it)
the knuckleball is too much of a wishy washy pitch to depend on
he won't have success pitching in a division with stronger hitting
he won't have success pitching in a less pitcher friendly stadium
he's a fluke (yup many still believe this)

Please don't debate ME about these. I'm just telling you what I'm seeing from other fans

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • pt1028
Many fans want to see how their top prospects pan out on their team. That's half the excitement, especially on a team like the royals where it's hard for them to get excited about their team doing well in a season (like us Met fans, lol).
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545902.3 was deleted
  • 12/5/12
  • DFAB
I'm sorry but that is one of the worst analogies I have ever hear..
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545902.5 was deleted
  • 12/5/12
  • DFAB

Depends. Do you want to spend a bunch of time training and grooming the puppy? OR do you want a dog who is already trained and can just go about his business with no effort needed.

What about a chronically ill puppy vs a healthy 8 year old dog?

These are dumb comparisons if you haven't caught on yet...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • fargol

"Do you get a puppy or an 8 year old dog "

Did the 8-year old just win the Cy Young and has at least 3 maybe even 4 solid years ahead of him? Versus a puppy that might never even make it to the major leagues?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

"When you go to the supermarket, do you buy milk that's about to expire or milk that will last 2 weeks longer? "

If I plan on drinking the milk that is about to expire soon before the expiration date, and that milk is a much higher quality milk and is also cheaper, I would go with that one than the lesser quality milk that is more expensive but might last a little longer.

Would you rather have a 1967 Mustang in good condition or a 2007 Honda?

Edited 12/5/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/5/12
  • beingfrank
The responses are a gas. I have a love/hate relationship with this board
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • catocony

As a Nats fan, my opinion is that Dickey can pitch at least another 5 seasons, maybe more. It's not like the knuckleball is wearing his arm out. Knuckleballers have generally all pitched into their mid-40s, so the "Dickey is too old" point is flat-out incorrect.

I would love to see him in a Nats uniform. A knuckleballer mixed in with Strasburg, Zimmerman and the rest of the high heat Nat's staff? That's a miserable series for every hitter.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • 4545_ajd

As a Nats fan, my opinion is that Dickey can pitch at least another 5 seasons, maybe more. It's not like the knuckleball is wearing his arm out. Knuckleballers have generally all pitched into their mid-40s, so the "Dickey is too old" point is flat-out incorrect.

When the world comes to an end the only two things that will be left are cockroaches and knuckle ball pitchers. They can last for a long time.

• Reply to this Message