New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets showing interest in Lannan
  • To:All
  • 12/4/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Joel Sherman ?@Joelsherman1

#Mets showed interest in Long Islander/fr agt John Lannan, perhaps as insurance if trade Dickey "

If Dickey is traded I definitely think Lannan is one of the guys they should go after.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • Melo15nym
The Mets should pick up Lannan no matter what, he is great depth for this team and you know we will need him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
Even if Dickey's NOT traded Mets should try to get Lannan. Decent LH SPs not easy to come by. And Lannan's only 28 for next season. Mets don't have any LHPs near MLB ready yet. Also he's from LI. Probably 1 of the few decent available players that wouldn't mind playing in Queens.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66
gotta figure lannan wants to sign for a team where he will start in rotation, not be AAA filler again. he could be a late off season pickup if he is still around.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
Mets should pick up Lannan 1 way or the other. Opens up trading Niese or Gee for BP + C or OF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

Thing is, I would like Wheeler to be brought up by mid-season. I think we have internal options for stop gap measures that would do just as well. Lannan could become a fixture if we give him a shot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • DFAB
I think we need to jump on Lannan NOW...since other teams that become more desperate will offer him more as the off season progresses...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66

according to alderson today, he hasnt had any talks about niese with teams.

gee alone wouldnt get much back that would help or matter much.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
100% agree. No time like the present!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66
guarantee lannan a rotation spot for 2013. that would help.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • joemets22

I like Lannan. Maybe there's a little bias there cuz he's a LI kid.

It's still going to be real tough to see Dickey go though if it happens.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • brianinwi

"Lannan could become a fixture if we give him a shot."

Sorry, this is a problem? If Lannan's pitching well enough to be blocking Wheeler by midseason, this seems like a good thing, not a bad thing. This is what midseason trades are all about: you trade Niese, Lannan or Gee at the deadline to open up a spot for Wheeler.

Mets should have more problems like that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
"according to alderson today, he hasnt had any talks about niese with teams"

That's TODAY. If Mets sign Lannan that could change Mets trade talks dramatically in terms of Niese.

No Gee ALONE wouldn't bring back that much. But packaged w/ Flores or Murphy + Duda & Familia or Mejia Mets could get back very nice haul.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart

"If Lannan's pitching well enough to be blocking Wheeler by midseason, this seems like a good thing, not a bad thing. This is what midseason trades are all about: you trade Niese, Lannan or Gee at the deadline to open up a spot for Wheeler.

Mets should have more problems like that"

Yes indeed. Can NEVER have TOO MUCH pitching!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66

That's TODAY. If Mets sign Lannan that could change Mets trade talks dramatically in terms of Niese.>>>>

they seem intent on trading dickey. until thats resolved, niese is probably safe. lannan would be smart to wait. some team will sign him to start in majors. maybe one of the other teams interested in him that have rotation spots open.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

I know he does very well against us, but the stats suggest to me an overall 4.0 ERA. I'm really okay with it, but wonder if Mejia of Familia could do the job just as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
How do we know Mets won't offer Lannan rotation spot???

2013 projected rotation:

Santana (at least til trade deadline if healthy)
Dickey (if not traded)
Niese (if not traded)
Gee (if healthy & not traded)
Harvey

Who's Mets insurance?? Especially LH???

I think odds are good Dickey, Niese or Gee gets traded (Maybe more than 1 of those 3?). That leaves a rotation spot open. Also if Santana's inured or just not pitching well that's another spot to be filled. Or if Gee's not 100% after his medical issues.

Sign Lannan NOW!!! If Mets can sign him for 2-3 yrs for about $8M/ yr (made $5M last yr) that would be AWESOME.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
" stats suggest to me an overall 4.0 ERA. I'm really okay with it, but wonder if Mejia of Familia could do the job just as well."

Thing is Lannan's already proven he can at least be #4 or #5 MLB pitcher. And leftys are tough to come by. RHP's Mejia & Familia have proven NOTHING in the majors. I don't see either of them being SP. More BP types IMO.

P.S. - Lannan does well against Mets because he's tougher on leftys than rightys!!

Edited 12/4/12   by  metsheart
Edited 12/4/12   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • murphstates
Aside from the two year age difference, Lannan and Niese are comparable pitchers. Niese is better, but not by a large margin.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66

Who's Mets insurance?? >>>>

mejia? familia if he doesnt win a bullpen spot out of ST.

• Reply to this Message