• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Rubin: Nieuwenhuis will be OD Center Fielder
  • To:All
  • 12/4/12
  • KB24NYM
Wow...the K King starting in Center for this team?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • govmule72
Does he have a drug problem?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • KLake409

Hey like I've said he just needs to shorten his swing and he won't strike out so much
if he did that he'd easily be better in pretty much every area (except SBs) than Pagan (who just got $40M from the Giants).

Anyway it's not the Mets fault that CFers this year are getting such ridiculous high contracts
(BJ Upton $75M, and Pagan $40M, I'd guess Bourn will get even more than Upton?).

Edited 12/4/12   by  KLake409
Edited 12/4/12   by  KLake409
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • ILikeToSneeze
Trade for Rasmus!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • JackNicholson
I don't think Kirk's that bad. He was a rookie last year. He should get a chance to prove that he can get his K's down.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • 4545_ajd

Or maybe he won't be. Plus your title is very misleading. Here is the actually tweet.

"Adam Rubin ?@AdamRubinESPN

Getting the sense Kirk Nieuwenhuis very likely is your Opening Day #Mets center fielder (unless the Padres start a southpaw on April 1). "

Edited 12/4/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • Matt H
I do not mind Kirk as out center fielder next season as long as we get a power hitting right fielder.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • bbyjean616
As long as he isnt platooned everytime a lefty is pitching. If we're playing the kids, PLAY THEM. Let them work out their problems ON THE FIELD
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • Oldfan

If its Nieuwenhuis, the Mets better get a RH CFer to platoon.

Can't wait to see Torres again.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • DFAB
good thing the wilpons didn't waste their money on Cespedes -.-
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • Oldfan

<<"Hey like I've said he just needs to shorten his swing and he won't strike out so much"

Pretty simplistic. Since Nieuwenhuis has struck out often throughout his minor league career and has never hit lefties, I'm sure the Mets have tried a few things.

<<" Anyway it's not the Mets fault that CFers this year are getting such ridiculous high contracts
(BJ Upton $75M, and Pagan $40M, I'd guess Bourn will get even more than Upton?)."

I guess the rest of the league is just establishing market price for CFers.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545852.12 was deleted
  • 12/4/12
  • Matt H
I really wish they took the risk on Cespedes. It is understandable why they did not take the risk though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • elsid1986

"It is understandable why they did not take the risk though"

It is? Please enlighten me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • DFAB

"It is understandable why they did not take the risk though."

It is NOT understandable. They just didn't want to spend money and THAT costed them. You HAVE to take risks in these int'l FA's. The Mets just pick the WORST ones to go after....like Matsui. Cespedes and Chapman didn't get crazy contracts. When the ONLY risk is MONEY, you HAVE to go for it. If you have to give up talent to get someone like that, that's different. The wilpons didn't want to spend so we saw yet ANOTHER major piece that could have potentially made our team much better just slip away.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • nvmets10
Nieuwenhuis starting next season would border on irresponsible. He looked that awful after the first month.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • nymxaf
They take no risk and have no talent in the OF. These guys get paid bc having a solid defensive CF with pop isnt easy to find. Even with the holes in his game Upton is a difference maker. Kirk is a bench guy along with the rest of the OF. Poor ownership and GM. The only option is to trade dickey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

Most of the tier two options that we could go for look like they could hit .270 with 20 hrs, but would actually hit .250 with 15. Our internal options look like they would hit .230 with 10, but might actually hit .260-.270 with 15. Everyone is trying to make us look good on paper, rather than waiting for our own players to improve.
  • Reply to this Message