• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Why all the Dickey trade talk?
  • To:All
  • 12/3/12
  • wjrz

I dont get some of you guys... We have a pitcher that will give us a quality start almost everytime out... he gives us 200 plus innings a season and by the way wins the Cy Young and now everyone wants to trade him...

This team should be built around the pitching staff especially playing 81 games at Citi Field. A staff of Dickey, Niese, Harvey, Gee, and maybe rehabbed Santana give us a decent chance to win most any day. . The team has a very solid infield,, but needs help in the OF. Temporary help that can be obtained on the FA market until the Mets can develop some of their home grown talent.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • DFAB
I don't think you understand the state of the Mets right now. They have a BUNCH of holes and if Dickey can fill 2 of those, that would be a smart move....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • PrayedforBay

Because this team wont be competing for another 2 years, thats why. You can sign him, get your 200+ quality innings for another 2 years and have nothing to show for it, or you can trade Dickey for a couple really high ceiling players under team control for many years to come.

Either way you aren't going anywhere for at least a couple years, so its a very logical decision if a team is willing to trade us that kind of package for him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • metthunder
also the Mets are having trouble signing him and they are listening to offers, not many secrets in Nashville this week
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • sanman2001
Chances are with the team they currently field they will not be any better than a fourth place team. If the future is not next year and they have plenty of up and coming young arms, why not part with a 37 year old Cy Young winner that can help a team that is ready to win now? His chips are hight right now and this could be exactly what the Mets need to help build for upcoming seasons. The Mets will get a couple or a few pieces to fill the position player holes that they have. Starting pitching as of now looks pretty good even without R.A. The bullpen though can use some help.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • skorpio520
If reports are accurate.hes willing to accept a two year deal,sure.but wants 29 million over those two years.i like ra as much as the next person but comeon. thats asking alot out of a team you wanna stay with knowing there financial situation.the guys 38 years old.sorry but no,trade him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • ILikeToSneeze
You don't think he's worth $15M/yr?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • skorpio520
not one thats 38 years old. no.absolutely not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • skorpio520
and for the record,i dont think ANY pitcher and very few players are worth 15 a yr.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • 86kid
Exactly
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • ILikeToSneeze

Then I don't think you understand the way that baseball works these days. Signing a CY Young pitcher to a two year deal with a $15M AAV carries hardly any risk. If he flops, then you bite the bullet and you only have him for two years. If not, you ride him out at good value for the rest of his career.

If you don't think that an established pitcher is worth $30M, then why in the world would anyone trade multiple top prospects with 6+ years of cheap control for this guy?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • wjrz

Dfab I have been a Met fan since going to the polo grounds as a kid to watch them play, .. well thats what they said they were doing. I have seen when they were good and when they were bad.. I think right now they have a good pitching staff and should not break it up. Pitching can keep you in games you may not otherwise be able to compete in.

I dont think its worth the risk to trade a Cy Young winner that gives you a chance to win any night for prospects... The mets system has prospects right now... Everyone knocks the system but how many players have come up the last few years... Davis , Tejada, Harvey, Murphy, and to a lesser extent Duda, Parnell, and Duda. They have several more maybe a year or two away..

DFab Like I said very good starters, good infield defense and bats, could we be stronger at C , sure but how many other teams are in the same position. Our real weakness is in the OF and that is usually the easiest position to fix through free agency.

I think many of you are giving the Wilpons a way out... Dont pay Dickey and instead get a couple of prospects that will get paid next to nothing... Do you seriously think that they would take the money saved on Dickeys contract and use it on say a Michael Bourn or any other top tier free agent. We will be tortured another few years with a lousy team with little chance to win.

And Dickey is definitely worth the $$$$

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • skorpio520

because the teams that would do it have a) a chance to win in the next cpl years and b) other prospects to replace the ones you just traded. its not like they are a bunch of omars running around trading away the entire farm system.
As far as not understanding,I am not A baseball gm ,so maybe I dont.but I love other ppl that point that out because they are under the impression they do understand.which they dont.none of us do.

wanna know what i see now when it comes to dickey? I see A guy claiming to want to spend the rest of his career with a team that gave him his shot yet asking for a crazy amount of money even though he could pretty much go at any time given his age.meanwhile the guy hasnt shut the f#ck up about it since the offseason started.its almost hes intentionally playing things up to get the fans to rally around him with the wilpons.

do i hate him for it? no. if im 38,lucky to even have a career in baseball let alone be in this kind of position and find myself in this position where its my only shot to experience this.i would do the same thing.any of us would.im a ra fan.wherever he goes i will watch and root for him.but noway would i give him 15 million a yr.

and 30 million of wasted money is wasted regardless of its its over 2 years or ten.thats still 15 million that cant be spent on the other positions you need to fill.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545849.14 was deleted
  • 12/4/12
  • wjrz

Hard throwers like Wheeler and Harvey are more prone to shoulder and elbow issues.... lol Dickey cant damage his elbow ligament, he dont have one.. D'arnaud may be a star some day but remember we had our "stars" coming soon ,,, like FMART.

I would be very reluctant to trade Dickey unless we are over paid and then I would expect to s8ck for the next 3 or 4 years.... why didnt Sandy trade Wright if that was the thought to build for 4 or 5 years down the road. I seems like they cant make up their mind which way they are going.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545849.16 was deleted
  • 12/4/12
  • ILikeToSneeze
$15M/yr for a top 10 pitcher in the league isn't that much. I would say that after winning the CY Young he deserves as much as Kuroda is making.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545849.18 was deleted
  • 12/4/12
  • ILikeToSneeze

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/what-is-r-a-dickeys-trade-value/

Interesting article from FanGraphs. I don't think he is going to fetch as much as Gonzalez did, but a fair comparison nonetheless.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • METMAINEAC

I agree. And I think his trade value is overrated.

Keep him.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Joey Gallo
Latest by thebobymon - 6:52 AM
All Kirk does is swing and miss
Latest by sb51 - 6:51 AM
Duda on pace for 31hr
Latest by joebatboy03 - 6:47 AM
Random Letters Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:46 AM
Musician Name Game