• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Ownership
  • To:All
  • 12/3/12
  • murphstates

There is very long article in the NY Times about 1-800-Flowers being sued for consumer fraud, as well as their long and extensive history of engaging in unscrupulous business practices. They have come under scrutiny from several states Attorneys General as well as Congress.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/sports/baseball/a-mets-owner-and-claims-of-consumer-fraud.html?_r=0

The founder and CEO James McCann is one of the new minority owners and a longtime friend of Fred Wilpon.

We also know that fellow minority owner Steven Cohen was recently connected to some questionable trades as part of an insider trading lawsuit against one of his firms portfolio managers. A scheme that prosecutors have described as the most lucrative insider trading case in history.

No need to rehash the Wilpon/Katz involvement with Madoff or their previous encounter with a Ponzi scheme with Samuel Israel III.

So how much smoke does it take before someone from MLB starts seeing the fire?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • thebobymon
Long Live the Wilpons!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • melloca
You shouldn't be surprised by this as Freddy is friends with crooks. When you bring up spending money to improve the product on the Field he will go ballistic,
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
Right...you Fargol, JimG and others don't hate the Wilpons.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/3/12
  • ddiscostu
LOL ! If Bill Maher ever gets busted for pot that could be three felons the Wilponzis sold a share of the team to . I guess the old saying about birds of a feather applies here .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • hammr1952
again you are clueless... get back on your meds.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • fargol

"Right...you Fargol, JimG and others don't hate the Wilpons. "

I only hate people who have hurt me or mine, or others like killers and people who commit crimes against children.

Why should I hate the Wilpons? It's just a game.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
I wouldn't be surprised if paying for yours presented a financial hardship.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • hammr1952
hardly... i dont need handouts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • JoseJose
Just heard the Yank's GM on Francessa. What a different world than when Snake Oil Sandy speaks. Cashman is honest, straightforward, says what they want, and cares about fans. For example, he said they like HRs, knows not everyone does, but in getting a 3bman to replace ARoid that is a major consideration, and will get a nonpower guy only as a last resort. He said they locked up pitchers first because they are harder to replace midseason then position players. Mainly, it wasn't what he said, more than as I am used to the Spinmaster speaking in riddles and this guy was speaking directly about improving a team on the field so "their fans can dream with them and we can put another ring on our finger". That's a quote. Imaginie having ownershup that actually says their goal is to win (gasp). Instead we get a guy who has lied about payroll more than we can count, "fixed" the bullpen last year and tried to call Francisco a closer, etc. etc. So much for "meaningful games in September".
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Minor League Baseball
Latest by 3bwright - 12:14 PM
Oh, and BTW.. Davis is 0-9 and at .227
Latest by thagreat1 - 12:14 PM
Brian McCann
Latest by almandareo357 - 12:13 PM
Knock Collins all you want!
Latest by jimg223 - 12:12 PM
Chris Young batting .200, anyone surprised?
Latest by thagreat1 - 12:11 PM
Terry just pull Grandy aside
Latest by almandareo357 - 12:11 PM
Beautiful play!
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:10 PM
Since those first 3 games...
Latest by ewok54 - 12:10 PM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 11:54 AM
It's a shame we passed on Abreu and Cruz...
Latest by ucpatoi - 11:53 AM