• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Does Dickey's value go up at the deadline?
  • To:All
  • 12/2/12
  • PrayedforBay
An interesting option might be to just take him with us into the season until the trade deadline comes. Teams get desperate around that time. Maybe if teams aren't open to dealing a prospect during the offseason they will be more inclined to do so if they are in contention.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • 4545_ajd
Have to sign him to an extension before the season starts, even if we want explore trading him during the deadline.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545811.3 was deleted
  • 12/3/12
  • 86kid

That would be a foolish and unneeded risk. Dickey's value is not going to be any higher than it is now, and you risk him have a bad 1st half, and/or getting injured.

It would be foolish for the Mets to go into the season with him unsigned, knowing that he won't negotiate during the season. Plus, other teams are aware that Dickey won't negotiate in-season, so they know they'd have the Mets at a serve disadvantage in July.

Plus, the new rules in MLB don't allow for steam get draft compensation if they trade for a guy in July, and he ends up walking on them after the season. They only get draft compensation rights if they trade for him in the off-season. Thus, Dickey's value takes a hit in July.

His situation MUST be, and will be, resolved this Winter, not in July. He's coming off a CY young season, and his stock is at it's apex now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • PrayedforBay

I do tend to agree with you as all those points are valid, but I'm just saying we may end up doing that. I don't think they will resign him just to trade him off half a season later, so it may come down to just bringing him along for half a season while they explore what they can get for him as teams become more desperate for pitching.

A lot of teams like to take risks like that where they trade for a guy and hope that their chances of signing the player will go up. Of course there are plenty of cases where that doesn't work out and they lose the player to free agency anyway.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • DFAB
WAY too much of a risk. Players are almost ALWAYS more valuable when they have more time on their contracts. Sure, there may be some desperation but I don't see that translating into more of a return for us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
Why would you want to do this? What would be the benefit over trading him now?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • Oldfan

<<"Have to sign him to an extension before the season starts, even if we want explore trading him during the deadline."

Not necessarily.

Some teams, including small market teams could be drawn in because of his 5 mil 2013 salary. If the team's out of contention at the deadline, Dickey can be moved again to a contender for a prospect.

The thing about Dickey, IMO, is that he's been a good pitcher the 2 previous years, but a #1 in 2012. He's likely looking for his last big payday and some teams may be leery of giving him a contract based on one year. I doubt Dickey would give the Mets a home team discount, without wanting a no-trade or limited no-trade clause.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • Oldfan

<<"That would be a foolish and unneeded risk. Dickey's value is not going to be any higher than it is now, and you risk him have a bad 1st half, and/or getting injured. "

Yep.

<<"Plus, the new rules in MLB don't allow for steam get draft compensation if they trade for a guy in July, and he ends up walking on them after the season. They only get draft compensation rights if they trade for him in the off-season. Thus, Dickey's value takes a hit in July."

I don't think the draft pick compensation is going to be a large factor for impact players. Considering the nature and uncertainty of the draft, I think if Dickey were to have a repeat season, contending teams would still highly value a #1 or 2 starter for the stretch run and post season.

Beltran had a couple of bidders and the gaining team had no draft compensation rights.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • PrayedforBay
Thats whats being discussed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • gomets66

They only get draft compensation rights if they trade for him in the off-season. Thus, Dickey's value takes a hit in July.">>>

draft compensation now is only 1 pick. a sandwich pick. dont think teams will woory so much about it.

• Reply to this Message