• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Wilmer Flores Defense
  • To:All
  • 12/2/12
  • The5Wright5Way

In 21 minor league games, Flores has a .991 fielding percentage, the highest percentage for any position he's played. Followed by first, third, then short.

Maybe he isn't a corner infielder, maybe he's a 2b.. just saying...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • Melo15nym
Fielding pct is dumb. He is, and will always be, a second baseman with below average range. He'll field the grounders he can reach, but he will not reach enough of them. He has good hands and a plus arm, but his feet are slow, too slow for short, and too slow to play an average second base.

Edited 12/2/12   by  Melo15nym
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • JackNicholson
I don't understand how he is so slow. Is there some way he can get his agility up? He isn't fat and he doesn't seem to be unathletic.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • gomets66

doesnt mean much. he plays what he gets. reports are his range is awful and cant get to much. some recent outlooks on flores.

<<Putting Flores in leftfield is a bad, bad idea. He’s just not fast enough to ever have better than well below average range in the outfield. No, he can’t learn to get faster. He’ll catch the balls that he can reach, but he will not reach enough in the outfield to be anything other than poor.

Flores at second is more appealing than in leftfield, but I still think that it would be a stretch. He is, and will always be, a second baseman with below average range. Again, he’ll field the grounders he can reach, but he will not reach enough of them. He has good hands and a plus arm, but his feet are slow, too slow for short, and too slow to play an average second base.>>

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • Melo15nym
Scouts grade his speed as a 20. That's very bad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • JackNicholson
I know. I just don't know how someone can be so slow yet not out of shape lol. Blows my mind. Dang it, Flores!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • gomets66
basically another met prospect whose best position would be DH.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • DFAB
It seems we ALWAYS have prospects that have great "potential" in 1 or 2 areas, but have SERIOUS problems in others....where's our Trout?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • Melo15nym
I wouldn't say he's a DH. He just needs to work on his reaction at 3rd. He has the plus arm and quick hands to be at least average.

Edited 12/2/12   by  Melo15nym
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • Matt H
No reason to put him at 3B when we signed Wright for the rest of his career. Flores looks like trade bait to me only.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • Melo15nym
Most likely.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • PrayedforBay
I have no idea about Flores, sounds like you do (atleast more than me) how would you say his defense compares to Murphy?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • eastvisitr
Package him with Dickey maybe that allows us an opportunity to upgrade what we could get otherwise. If he's a 20 on the speed scale he can't play anywhere but 1st or 3rd. That's Ramon Castro Kelly Stinett slow.
  • Reply to this Message