• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets preparing for bottom-feeding frenzy
  • To:All
  • 12/2/12
  • alfolerud

While other teams go out and sign top free agents, make blockbuster trades or sign international free agents, the Mets are content adding other teams' castoffs; as long as they will agree to a one year deal for one million bucks.

Once we add several non-tendered players, the Wilpons will give their annual speech about playing meaningful games in September while their many (paid?) defenders will crow about how much these owners value winning.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • PrayedforBay
Seemed to work well for the A's
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • DFAB
they also spent on an international player (Cespedes)...something we don't do because of $$$$
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
I still can't believe we didn't pursue Chapman, Cespedes or Kyuji Fujikawa. Oh wait, yes I can. The Wilpons don't care about winning.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • elsid1986
Fred will also tell us how the team is better than people think it is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
The sad thing is that lot's of people here think the team is better than it actually is. Did you see the thread about trading Murphy? People are talking about him as if he's an above average hitter. This guy wouldn't start on half of the teams that made the playoffs last season. Too many koolaid drinking Mets fans are divorced from reality.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • igvo

ANd we all know how Sandy Alderson is so good of a talent evaluator that he can go and sign legit players to help the team. I realize Mets do not have money, but if you throw money around to all these free agents not costing a lot, should not you be successful about 50% of the time, at least? This is Sandy's third off-season and what does he have to show for it? Minor leagues are still in a terrible shape. Mets have 2 top 100 prospects - Zack Wheeler and Jeurys Familia (signed by Minaya). It is too early to judge Sandy Alderson on Zack Wheeler as he might be his only legacy when Sandy leaves in about two or so years.
A whole slew of players come to mind that Sandy failed on:
Signing Terry Collins as Manager (he has not been MLB Manager in a long time and noone else was interested in him)
Trading Pagan for Ramirez and Torres
Signing DJ Carrasco to 2 years
Signing Frank Francisco to 2 years
Signing Jon Rauch
Signing Brad Emaus to be everyday 2nd Baseman
Signing Miguel Batista
Signing Manny Acosta
Signing Chris Young (twice)
Siging Omar Quintanilla

Some OK moves are signing RA Dickey and Scott Hairston and trading Beltran for Wheeler (too early to judge).

Sandy Alderson has not managed MLB team in a long time. The only successful experience he had as GM was when he presidied over steroid-filled Oakland team (just about every player on his team is suspected of steroid use, certainly two best guys in Canseco and McGuire).

I don't mind waiting and being patient. I just don't believe Sandy is the right guy for rebuilding
and making Mets contender again be it in 2 years or 10 years.

I actually feel Omar Minaya was a better talent evaluator who was way over his head as being GM of Major League team.

Edited 12/3/12   by  igvo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
Sandy brings nothing to the table.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • DFAB

"I still can't believe we didn't pursue Chapman, Cespedes"

Chapman is getting paid 2m next year! LOL that is NOTHING. If we had both Cespedes and Chapman, that would have EASILY meant another 10 wins this past year. Too bad the wilpons aren't committed to winning....

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • igvo
He is a good politician. That's about it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • Oldfan

<<"Did you see the thread about trading Murphy? People are talking about him as if he's an above average hitter"

You can knock Murphy defensively, but he is a good bat and a well above-average offensive 2bman.

<<"This guy wouldn't start on half of the teams that made the playoffs last season"

I don't know if that's true, but since playoff teams are the better teams, that's not really a terrible indictment.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • PrayedforBay
Well yea, but Oakland was already starting with the lowest payroll in the league so... it was a tad easier.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • MetObserver

"The sad thing is that lot's of people here think the team is better than it actually is. Did you see the thread about trading Murphy? People are talking about him as if he's an above average hitter. This guy wouldn't start on half of the teams that made the playoffs last season. Too many koolaid drinking Mets fans are divorced from reality."

And this bothers you why? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. What do you want all posters to blindly agree with you? Why? What makes you so special?

Frankly nothing that I can see all you do is brandish your chest and thump it about your personal accomplishments and attack others that have any optimistic at all. My suggestion, if all you say is true, Grow UP.

• Reply to this Message