• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Olney: Dickey, Mets not close to a deal
  • To:All
  • 12/2/12
  • KB24NYM
Mets should try a different poker face because its looking like they really want to trade this guy.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 545797.2 through 545797.3 were deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • Moses0507

If no one is offering a TOP Guy, like a Myers, then don't trade him.

When the Mets are good in 2014 he will be Very Useful

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • metsfan541
Agreed!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • DFAB

"Not trading him would be one of the stupidest decisions we can do."

That depends. If no team is willing to offer at least 1 top flight prospect (Myers, D'Arnaud type), and only get "decent" prospects...it makes more sense to just keep Dickey.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545797.7 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • Moses0507

" We have cheap owners that won't spend"

I disagree. With Santana and Bay completely off the books, the Mets will have Plenty to spend.

I believe the Mets will add at least 1-legit Bat. With Ike and Wright thats a good middle of the order.

I believe in Murphy as a solid hitter.

Now add in the rotation; as long as they keep Dickey and Niese.

Dickey
Harvey
Niese
Wheeler

Thats very good IMO. A 85 win team and something to build upon.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • Oldfan

<<"I disagree. With Santana and Bay completely off the books, the Mets will have Plenty to spend"

Santana makes 25.5 mil next year and then the team has a 2014 option or 5.5 mil buyout. I wonder if the 5.5 mil buyout is part of the 2014 payroll?

Bay also remains on the books beyond 2014. I don't know the details of this year's buyout and how much remains on the books in future years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • murphstates
They should have money to spend, although they pushed $7.5 million of Bay's money onto 2014 so that reduces what's available. The problem is the only way they're going to get an impact bat is via trade. The projected 2014 free agent class is old and awful. There is only one outfielder under 30 who will be a free agent, Carlos Gomez.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • nvmets10
I actually thought the 2014 FA class was pretty good, especially in comparison to this one. Sure, basically everyone is over 30 but it's not exactly a common occurrence to find a lot of very good, young players on the market anyway. You have Ellsbury at age 30, Choo and Pence at 31, Hart, Morse, and Murphy at 32, and Cruz at 33. That's not a bad crop.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • eastvisitr
Choo is the best option I'd say. Unless Ellsbury shows his 2011 power output wasn't a fluke, giving big money to a guy whose game is predicated on speed isn't a great idea. We really need a young outfielder that can be part of a core group desperately. And we aren't getting Meyers for Dickey so I really don't know where that leaves us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • murphstates
There are a few guys, but impact bats is stretching the term. I was still reacting to the objections from some to giving up Gee and Duda for Willingham. If Willingham isn't enough to sacrifice a fifth starter and marginal major league player I don't know who on that list qualifies as an impact bat.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • gomets66

You have Ellsbury at age 30, Choo and Pence at 31,>>>>

those are the ones who will get the bj upton like deals next winter. 5+ years, 85+ million.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • gomets66

I wonder if the 5.5 mil buyout is part of the 2014 payroll?>>>>

alderson already said it will be counted in 2013 payroll.

funny thing is, starting in 2015 johans 5.4 million deferred money will kick in. that will be part of payroll and thats 5.4 million per year for 7 years.

• Reply to this Message