• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• is this a fair toronto/mets trade
Message 545780.1 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • leaffie
That will never happen. You keep forgetting that Dickey is only signed for one more year.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545780.3 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • leaffie

They could, but that doesn't mean that Dickey would accept it. And then where would they be?

Wouldn't the mets be better off to agree to an extension with Dickey and then trade him. Makes him much more valuable.

If I was the mets, I would come to terms on a three year contract, hold him until the trade deadline, and then trade him for the most they could get. There are always desperate teams then, plus, if Dickey has had another great first half, he becomes even more valuable to the mets, in their rebuild.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • 4545_ajd

"That will never happen. You keep forgetting that Dickey is only signed for one more year. "

That can change tomorrow, plus they can offer a signing window which would give the Blue Jays a period of time to sign him before the trade is official.

Edited 12/2/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • Kranesback
I read on one of the sites (forget which one), the Jays would likely offer either Arenciba or some outfielder named Gose straight up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • tomg1964
Maybe we if throw in MEJIA they might bite at that. I would rather have Rajai Davis instead of Gose.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545780.8 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • cjct
wait you would rather have a 32 year journeyman OF instead of a 22 year OF?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545780.10 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • Lipchitz
Closer but, I think you'd have to swap Syndergaard/Sanchez for someone with less upside (but more MLB ready) like Stilson/Stroman/Jenkins or go with someone further away from the majors like a Norris/Tirado/Osuna.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545780.12 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • leaffie
The Jays are not giving up D'arnaud for a one year rental. And the value of Dickey is very debateable. There are lots of teams in on Dickey. I hope the mets get what they think he is worth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • leaffie
Much more plausible.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • leaffie

OMG, you have no idea what Gose plays like. Rajai Davis is a 4th outfielder, with speed and that is all.

Gose is going to be someone's CF for a long time.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545780.16 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • 86kid

>>>"That will never happen. You keep forgetting that Dickey is only signed for one more year."<<<

Teams do "sign & trade" deals sometimes. I'm sure if the Mets are getting excellent package back, they'll give the other team a 72 hour window to sign Dickey to an extension before the trade is completed. As long as it some place Dickey wants to play, it won't be an issue.

Edited 12/2/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • 86kid

>>>"Wouldn't the mets be better off to agree to an extension with Dickey and then trade him. Makes him much more valuable."<<<

A team would be cutting their own throats in future dealings with players, if they signed them with the player thinking they are there to stay, but then dealt a short time later. It shows bad faith. Players wouldn't trust the Mets in the future, and/or players would demand no-trade clauses all the time after that in contract talks.

>>>"If I was the mets, I would come to terms on a three year contract, hold him until the trade deadline, and then trade him for the most they could get. There are always desperate teams then, plus, if Dickey has had another great first half, he becomes even more valuable to the mets, in their rebuild."<<<

That would be a foolish and unneeded risk. That is a risk a team like the Mets can't afford to take. Dickey could get hurt, or have a bad first half. Even if he had a good first half his value isn't going to get any higher than it is right now. His situation has to be resolved this Winter, not in July.

Plus, as I understand it, the new rules in baseball ar that if you trade a pending FA at the during the season, the team trading for that player isn't entitled to draft compensation picks if that player walks after the season. Therefore Dickey's value would actually be less in July, than it is right now. A team trading for him this Winter would receive draft compensation if they did not resign him.

Edited 12/2/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message