New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 6 or 7 teams interested in Dickey
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB

mlbtraderumors

"The Mets have fielded calls from six or seven teams are looking to meet and discuss a deal for R.A. Dickey, writes Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The Mets and Dickey have been trying to work out a contract extension for two months, but it appears general manager Sandy Alderson has the green light to now to more seriously consider trade alternatives instead. The Mets are expected to seek a catcher and outfield help in any trade."

It's nice to know there are a nice handful of teams interested...maybe we can get a nice package.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545777.2 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • METS1
We really need to trade him this offseason. His value is as high as it will ever be and we don't have a team that will win anytime soon.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545777.4 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB
We should only trade him if we get 2 quality pieces in return. It's pointless trading him for anything less.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • eastvisitr
Yeah it's really important they don't screw this up. Don't make a deal for the sake of making one. Hopefully a team steps up and offers something solid. I'd include Flores if it would improve the return he has no place with the Mets now with Ike and Wright manning the corners.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • abbymart

I saw this quote on a website:

"Keeping Wright shows you realize things really could be better soon. Trading Dickey shows that you also know that “soon” isn’t 2013."

makes sense

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • DFAB

lol some idiot Brewers fan suggested this trade

Lucroy + Shafer for Dickey and Wilmer Flores?

Lucroy is a good START, but why would the Mets trade their BEST position player prospect for a BENCH player??

• Reply to this Message
Message 545777.9 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • mysticpiazza
I think any discussion with the Royals better include the name Meyers in it. Maybe I'd look at S. Perez and L. Cain too.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545777.11 was deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • abbymart

>i've heard a lot of wacky proposals from fans of other teams

Heh. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. Wacky proposals only from fans of OTHER teams? :)

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • MetsyCNY
Last year wasn't some type of fluke. Dickey has been very good for 3 years and he can be this type of good for a long time. Coming in to this year, he lead the Majors with 20 straight quality starts. Why trade such a special player? A year from now, the only money we are committed to are Wright & Niese, and both of which are club friendly deals. We need to keep Dickey and sandwich him between Wheeler & Harvey for the next 5 years! We have somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 mil on the books starting in 2014. It's not if, it's we HAVE to spend money. Roll the dice this year by adding a Cody Ross type outfielder and hope a few of the young guys like Kirk & Duda take a big leap forward. A year from right now, the Mets will be spending more in free angency than any team that isn't the Dodgers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • abbymart
I still think that trading him would be the smart move, but I'm the first to admit that my heart would not be in it. Impossible not to like the guy and YES he's been good since 2010
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • 86kid

>>> It's nice to know there are a nice handful of teams interested...maybe we can get a nice package."<<<

No surprise there bro. Dickey is a front end pitcher and very affordable - especially in 2013. Teams were going to have a lot of interest in him, and be willing to cough up good talent for him.

Question is, are the Mets going take this chance to cash in on the opportunity to help fill out their roster ?

I have said all along I wanted to deal Dickey and Wright. But now that we've committed to Wright, I think it is all the more reason the deal Dickey so we can put some top talent around Wright.

I think our pitching staff will be fine without Dickey. If Johan give us a first half similar to last year, and Neise and Harvey give us the same or better than last year, along with soild work from Gee, then we will be a good staff. Plus Wheeler could be up by July. The opening gives Mejia a shot too...

Sandy should be able to get two top tier prospects who are ready to play now. Maybe two outfieders, or an outfeilder and catcher. Plus teams will really be willing to give up a lot if the Mets give them a 72 hour window to sign Dickey before the trade is done.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • 86kid

>>>"We really need to trade him this offseason. His value is as high as it will ever be and we don't have a team that will win anytime soon."<<<

Exactly

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • 86kid
I know there is a lot coming off the books, you can't assume the Mets will spend though. Sandy himself indicated earlier this winter that the Mets not are going to be spending in the next few years. You have to cash in on Dickey's value now to help fill out this roster with quality young talent. Relying too much on filling holes with free agency and big contracts is parlty what's kept this franchise in the gutter that last several decades.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • mysticpiazza
I want Dickey back, especially if the Mets can work out an affordable deal, HOWEVER, I would take my time negotiating with him until Sandy listens to any trade offers coming in over the next week(s). Latest reported is Texas is interested. No doubt Nelson Cruz is being discussed. I dunno about him, but I do like Profar, Feliz, Ogando, and Andrus, at least for young players already in the majors.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • AdrianMonk

While I don't think Dickey's performance last year was a fluke, it may have been a fluke that the team gave him decent support.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • 86kid

>>>"I want Dickey back, especially if the Mets can work out an affordable deal, HOWEVER, I would take my time negotiating with him until Sandy listens to any trade offers coming in over the next week(s). Latest reported is Texas is interested. No doubt Nelson Cruz is being discussed. I dunno about him, but I do like Profar, Feliz, Ogando, and Andrus, at least for young players already in the majors."<<<

As it stands, Dickey is the best, and in my view most sensible way, to help fill out this roster. Traing Neise make little sense to me since he is young/cheap/proven...exactly what we need to build around.

I will not suggest speficic names of who we should get back for Dickey. I'll leave that up to Sandy, but all I will says is that for Dickey, they need to be top tier ( Wheeler value ) type prospects.

I think given Dickey performance level over the last three years, on bad teams, and his affordablity - especially this year, teams are going to ante up big for him - epsecially if Sandy gives them that 72 hour window to sign Dickey to an extension before they complete the trade.

• Reply to this Message