• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Dickey to Jays proposal
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • METS1

Toronto clearly wants to win soon after making that deal with the Marlins.

Why not try to send them Dickey and Niese for D'Arnaud and Gose?

A lot of people here seem to think Niese is better than I think he is. I just don't see him as ever being more than a #3 starter. Dickey could win the CY young again next year, but he is 38 and probably won't be any good by the time this team is competitive.
We would get the best catcher that we've had since Piazza and an extremely fast outfielder who would fit perfectly in Citi field.

The Jays would have a rotation consisting of:
Dickey
Johnson
Niese
Buehrle

By 2015 our lineup could be:
Gose
Tejada
Wright
Davis
D'Arnaud
Nimmo
Dekker
Murphy

Rotation:
Harvey
Wheeler
Familia
Gee/free agent

When Santana's contract ends, we could use that money to sign a top free agent pitcher and a good #3 to replace Gee. That would fill out an already impressive rotation.
We would have a good team of young players, especially if we could get a better 2B and SS through a trade or free agency.

Well, that would be my plan if I were manager.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545776.2 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd
Dickey and Gee/Familia/Mejia maybe, but not Dickey and Niese.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • METS1
Why not? We aren't winning anytime soon with what we have. If we are willing to trade Dickey to improve the future than Niese should be available too. If we can get D'Arnaud + a good outfield prospect for just Dickey, then I'm all for it. Keeping Niese as our number 4 would be fine with me, but I think it will take more than Dickey to get a top catching and outfield prospect.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd
Niese is part of the future, with two young righties like Harvey and Wheeler being the corner stones of our rotation it is important to have a reliable lefty as well, Niese is young and signed to an inexpensive contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB
HORRIBLE trade for us...Dickey alone would most likely get 2 good pieces by himself...either from the Jays or someone else...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • METS1
Dickey will be in his 40's by the time we have a chance to win anything.
I don't feel comfortable basing our future around Niese who had one good year. He could get better, but a pitcher who will probably peak at 11-13 Wins, a 3.6ish Era, and 150 Ks is not someone I would build around if I could get a 23 year old catcher who is ready for the pros and has 25+ homerun power. Add in a CF with the potential to get 100R and 50+ steals? I don't see the downside.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545776.8 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • AdrianMonk

Gose bats lefty and strikes out a lot. Guess he'd fit right in.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • METS1
By all means if we can get more than this for them then we should do it. If both are on the team within the last few days of the winter meetings, then I think this trade should be offered. I'm not sure if the Blue Jays would do it though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd

" He could get better, but a pitcher who will probably peak at 11-13 Wins, a 3.6ish Era, and 150 Ks "

Peak at those numbers? He already surpassed many of those numbers last year at 25 years old, and he was better in the 2nd half of the season than the first half, so why do you assume he will peak at those numbers?

• Reply to this Message
Message 545776.12 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB
yea that's a funny statement...he ALREADY HAD BETTER NUMBERS lol....so how could he "peak" at those numbers if he already pitched better?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • skorpio520
either dickey,or niese,with flores and another player or two might be enough to land gose and d'arnaud. why trade em both?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • TheChosen1

This team has 4 holes to fill as far as position players go (C and all 3 OF spots).

The ONLY way we trade either Dickey OR Niese is if we can fill 2 of those holes with solid young MLB players or TOP MLB ready prospects.

The only way we trade BOTH is if we fill ALL 4 Holes.

If we can't do that, then they have more value to this team by staying.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • METS1

I'm saying he will average around those stats for the rest of his career. I may be wrong, but I just don't see him as being more than a #3 starter.
I think D'Arnaud will be the second best catcher of the next 15 years(behind Zunino).

Do you think two more CY Young Awards from Dickey while we don't have a chance of winning and ten years of a pitcher who will probably be below 14 wins and about a 3.5 era for the rest of his career would be worth having over two prospects who are ready for the pros and would replace Thole and Bay in our lineup?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • eastvisitr
I'm not very optimistic the Mets can do that. Teams aren't going to give up top talent for Dickey. Even though he's a knuckleballer he is 38 and I think gm's are going to be leary of the risk. I'm fine with keeping him if that's yhe case because the only thing worse than not capitalizing with a trade would be to settle for middling talent that would have to be replaced themselves in a few years.
  • Reply to this Message