• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Cubs shopping Soriano
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd
I always liked the idea of Soriano for Santana straight up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • hammr1952
cubs will have to eat alot of his $$$$$.... plus his lf play stinks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB
I'd much rather keep Santana over Soriano...don't even have to think about it...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 3bwright

Not a fan of Soriano at all

Way to much money for a bat that is slowing and he is a BAD OF

No thanks --- but you can like the idea (I just do not)

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd
Santana is making 30.5M for 1 year, Soriano is making 36M for two years. I would do it straight up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB
actually, if they ate most of his money and just traded them Duda straight up it might make sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • jgrangers2
I would make that trade if I was the Mets. Save $7 million next year to take on Soriano's $18 million salary in 2014. That would be an interesting deal if we can get the Cubs to pay some of that 2014 salary.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • hammr1952
from that standpoint of money i would have no problem with it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd
It would actually free up an additional 12M in payroll this year. Then sign Lannan/Pelfrey as a place saver for Wheeler then sign Priezynski with the money they saved in 2013.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 3bwright

Ok if they eat alot of the money the Cubs will want a higher player than Duda

I hate the idea of longer contracts on AVG/bad players

I want to clear the books and use that money for an OF in 2014

get the contracts off the books as fast as they can

I would even trade Santana (eat the money) and bring in younger guys who are upside players - but do not see who would do it

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd

R SS Tejada
L 2b Murphy
R 3b Wright
L 1B Ike
R RF Soriano
L LF Duda
R C Priezynski
L CF Kirk

Dickey
Niese
Harvey
Gee
Pelfrey/Lannan/ Wheeler

Edited 12/1/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545767.12 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • hammr1952
AJ is a interesting choice... he is fiesty.. takes no ch^it and a leader. 2 yr 14 mil with an option could do it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 86kid
I'd rather keep Santana. If he post a first half similar to what he did last year, then we can eat most of his 2nd half money and move him for a couple of good prospects in July. To me that would be way more valueable than taking Soriano for two years, on a team that isn't likely to win anyway.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • thebobymon

No thanks.

My offseason hopes do not stem around saving the Wilpon's money.

May as well just let this bad dream run its course rather than add to it.

If the money angle is what you are shooting for here.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 4545_ajd
How is what I proposed saving the money? Soriano is owed 36M Santana 30.5. Trading for Soriano and signing Priezynski would be adding payroll.

Edited 12/1/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • jgrangers2
I'm not sure how much value we can get out of Santana at the deadline. Then again, I would have said the same thing about Beltran.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • joemets22

I wouldn't do this. I just want that money off the books as soon as possible.

Soriano's just about 37 and has had an OPS under .800 in 2 of his last 4 years, and that's at the friendly confines and he's going to have to move to Citi.

The Wilpons let Bay hurt this team for 3 years before they were finally OK with cutting him. They chose to make the team worse by keeping him. There's no way they'd cut Soriano loose after just 1 year if he was a bust here, and with his age and middling numbers that's a definite possibility.

I don't want the whole "we have to wait for these contracts to come off the books" song and dance for another extra year. Just take the hit next year and be done with it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • thebobymon

You said that getting Soriano would save the Wilpon's money that they could use to sign the Priezynski. Unless I misread that.

Why do we need to clog our roster for 2 more years with Soriano if the ultimate goal is to sign Priezynski?

They should do what is needed, not try to keep dealing from the bottom of the deck.

Go out and get what this team needs, and this team does not need Soriano in any way, shape, or form.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • thebobymon

Sorry read it wrong.

I still want nothing to do with Soriano tho :)

• Reply to this Message