• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• The Mets Trap
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • Robert
Most of you are falling right into it. All they did was bring back a player who was here already (status quo). Further more while the nats are rumored for greinke, the braves a trade for j Upton, and the Phil's Hamilton. The mets are looking at non tenders.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

So you think the mets should have let Wright go??

How would that make us better?

You have to keep your great players, and then add. The mets have two young stud pitchers on the horizon and thats the hope

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Robert
There is no reason why the mets couldn't go after an Upton or a Bourn. They need of help and a lead off hitter.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Robert
And no I am not saying that. The ownership is just going to look for too much credit for this. This a move they had to make but it doesn't make the team better since he was already here
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

Upton or a Bourn?

Upton will cost an arm and a leg to get, and Bourne is SOO Overrated.

You're willing to give Bourne a 5-year deal? He's 30 years old

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 41rotunda

I agree with you on your initial point. But we all know they are not going after an Upton or Bourne because of simple perception vs. reality.

Bernie Madoff was the best thing that ever happened to the Wilpons for two reasons:

1) His corrupt high yields on investments spanning two decades made the Wilpons/Katz Sterling brand wealthy beyond their wildest dreams. In fact, their association with him and his clout was probably instrumental in "stealing" and hoodwinking the team from Doubleday in the first place.

2. Madoff still lives in the current operation. They now have the excuse of running the team like the KC Royals for the next decade and beyond and retain ownership of the team for future generations. And their croonie, Selig, will protect them every step of the way.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • bucknerismyhero
Wright is my favorite player, but the timing is bad. I would have shopped him around and seen what type of package I could have gotten before giving him this deal. I know it is a bad optic to trade away your best player, but the entire division is significantly better than us right now and indefinitely. The Braves and Nationals are both atleast 15-20 games better than us already, they are still improving, and their roster is compromised of young players who are projected to get better. Signing Wright to this deal effectively ends any financial flexibility we had moving forward. This is not a division where you can get by with a hybrid rebuild. The Mets will not be good for at least another 3 years and by then Wright will be 33 and Dickey (if not traded) will be 41. The fastest route to building a sustainable winner here would be to blow the whole thing up and trade anyone with value for as many top prospects as possible. If we were to hit big on a few of them we could have been looking at a decent team in a few years, but now were are really strapped for cash and have no impact bats on the horizon. The only possible way that this works, is if ownership were to spend back to mid-2000 levels. Not going to happen. The Wilpons have completely ruined any hope for this franchise. Hopefully Citi Field will be a ghost town and fans will not fall for this mirage of spending...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

So the Mets won't be good for at least 3-years, and blowing up the team will make us winners in a few years?

If they blew up the team the Mets wouldn't be good for 5-years.

The Mets are on the horizon of competing, they have a solid core and I believe Harvey and Wheeler will be a Sick #1-2 punch by 2015.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • bucknerismyhero
By what measure are we on the horizon of being good? I am hopeful for Harvey and Wheeler, but that hardly makes us contenders. If we blew up the team completely it would potentially take a longer period of time for us to contend, but by that time we would be doing it with young players who can be expected to succeed moving forward. If you think the Mets can be good in 2015, then so be it. However, I do not see how we are going to create a roster that hit with the Braves or Nationals by then. Do not forget that while we are touting our two top pitching prospects, the rest of the division has their own as well. Just look at the Braves, they have so many highly thought of pitching prospects that they determined Tommy Hanson, not long removed from being thought of as an ace, was surplus and traded him for a reliever; even though they already had the best bullpen in baseball. We are simply not close.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

I think the Mets can be solid in 2014 and be very good in 2015.

If Harvey and Wheeler are as good as they are supposed to be, I know it could all falter but I have faith, then the Mets will have one of the best rotations in the NL.

Idk if the Mets will trade Niese or not, but :

Dickey
Harvey
Wheeler
Niese

is pretty darn good.

Ike could be getting better, he hit 30 homers last year, and Tejada is still only 23yo.

They need to add some bats, but they have time.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545755.11 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507
If you truly believe then WOW
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Kranesback
We could have filled two of our many holes. Thwo years in a row the FO blew it.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545755.14 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • Kranesback
Get ready for 138 more of them over the next 8 years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • murphstates
I'm sick of reading posts that are grammatically incorrect and contain no capital letters.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • edmet
i hate to say it, but we should talk to the flyin hawaiian about a 2 yr incentive laden deal, say $7m per base. he would luv sticking it to phils. maybe his all out attitude would help this club. such a deal would be a shocker but i have come arouind to it.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545755.18 was deleted