• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Right now, only Trout and M.Cabrera deserve Wright $
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • 41rotunda

We all know they seriously overpaid for DW. He's a good guy, face of the franchise, blah blah blah, but he is a good to very good player. That's all. By no means a big star.

His month long funks, and abysmal second halfs have become the norm and will only continue. The pink polo shirt brigade who continually defend him on these boards will point to things like, "no protection in the lineup, or he's pressing too hard to be the man, etc. etc. etc."

You can book these stats right now for 2013 for DW: 21 HRs, 87 RBIs, .284 avg. and 16 steals. In fact, that's what most years will look like if we are lucky.

The fact of the matter is that a 20 mil a year player HAS to be a star. A guy feared by the opposition. David is by no means that player.

Nothing against him personally. He's a class act, seems to be a good and charitable guy and "gets it" as it pertains to being a professional athlete. Especially in a cauldron like NY.

But this is a PR move by the Wilpons, nothing more. This move will hamstring the team for the next 5 years or more because if gives the Wilpons exactly what they want the fans to perceive: 1) We are still in a financial mess and are working ourselves out of it, thus we can't spend for any free agents other than bottom feeders and 2) But, we did resign Wright for you, so we still love our fans. Total BS.

There are only two players in baseball right now deserving of this type of contract: Miguel Cabrera (best hitter in the game) and Mike Trout (for his incredible future upside).

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

Wright's contract averages out to 17.5M per year, NOT 20M

Get your facts straight.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • TheChosen1

The only way to judge how much a player is making is to look at what other players make, and compare them.

With BJ Upton signing for $15M per year, I'd say Wright's $17.5M isn't enough, comparatively.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 41rotunda

That's a good point, but BJ Upton is being ridiculously overpaid at 15 mil.

DW's contract is based on what Zimmerman is getting from the Nats. The same team that gave the absurd dough to Werth.

Seriously though, the point is not about him making 17.5 or 20 mil a year, it's about the embedded excuse it gives to the Wilpons for being non-competitive now for the next 5 years.

All athletes are grossly overpaid, but in terms of a top of the scale range, my opinion is that only Trout and Cabrera deserve that kind of money. But that isn't reality, I understand that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507
David Wright is a fine player and he isn't killing the payroll. He will Not be the reason this team fails in the next 5-years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 41rotunda

I'm certainly not questioning that he is a "fine" player. But he's not a star player, that's all.

Also, I agree that he will not be the main reason this team fails in the next 5 years, but you can rest assured that you will hear it repeatedly over that time that paying Wright curtailed doing other things. Like addressing the AAA outfield they Mets put on the field.

By the same token, NY is a place to pay your big names. Star or not, Wright is the big name player here. So in theory, you are correct, they should retain Wright and maybe overpay for him. My beef is with the owners who now further have the ammunition to run the team like a KC or Minn. franchise. You just can't do that here, and they get away with it because they have the crooked commish in their back pocket.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • ohhthepain

Wright was going to be over paid by somebody, that is just the nature of the beast today. The market dictates that was going to happen. This was kind of a darned if you do, darned if you don't move by the Mets. No matter what they did you could make a legit arguement against what was done..Was this the best decision for the Mets in regards to wins and losses over the next 10 years or whatever? I don't know. But if you ask me I think this was a move the Mets needed to make. Wright earned this and ownership did the right thing in my view. You had fans screaming to keep Jose but now that they keep Wright you have the same fans unhappy. Sorry but thats unfair. I don't like this ownership either..But you can't have it both ways..I was not cmpletely sold on keeping Wright was the best move either, but I am not going to complain about keeping him around..

This sends a very good message throughout this organization as a whole as to the kind of player this organization values. And a willingness to take care of those types of players in the future..Its about time they finally took care of one of our star home grown players. It was long over due for this fanbase.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • mysticpiazza
Baseball obviously disagrees with you, given the fact that plenty of teams are willing to "overpay" players. Like it or not, these are the salaries players command today.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • sheadro
They didn't overpay him. They just paid a lot for him. Now I think there is a fair argument on whether or not they should have gave him that money (I'm glad they did) but overpaying implies we paid more than we had to or more than he would have received on the open market , neither of which is true. It seems that fans are stuck on a 2007 model on what is fair value and ignoring that the market has changed. Prince Fielder 9 years $214 mill, Joey Votto 10 years $225 million, Albert Pujols 10 years $250 million...Upton 5 years $75 million. It seems fans would rather overpay on the open market for an unknown asset than pay our own franchise player what he deserves. And you wonder why players have no loyalty? Because they fans have even less.

Edited 12/1/12   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
Wow 17 mil for playing half of a season.... At least Reyes took off due to injuries, what was Writes excuse?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • govmule72

"The pink polo shirt brigade"

Huh?

"2013 for DW: 21 HRs, 87 RBIs, .284 avg. and 16 steals"

...but when Justin Upton puts up numbers like this he's MVP caliber.

Wright does this in New York, in a large stadium to boot - and this would be a down year for him by all means.

Out of 7 full seasons he's only hit under .300 once, and under 26 HRs twice. He's also hit under 93 RBIs once...and all of these numbers are skewed by 2011 when he was literally the only player left on the team, and that's not an exaggeration.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • govmule72

"I'm certainly not questioning that he is a "fine" player. But he's not a star player, that's all."

Admit it, you'd say he was if he was on another team. I love how people compare him to Zimmerman, when Wright is clearly superior.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 545754.13 through 545754.14 were deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • sheadro

"Why? Then he couldn't complain."

Doubt that. A Mets fan could complain about what Bobby Parnell ate for breakfast. I don't know what's more embarrassing the Mets' ownership or the fan base.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545754.16 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • KLake409
They should bring the fences in 5 more feet if he hits around 30HR (at least 25HR+) a year he will be pretty much worth what they are paying him.

Edited 12/1/12   by  KLake409
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

". I love how people compare him to Zimmerman, when Wright is clearly superior."

I hate that so much. Its not even just our fanbase but all of baseball.

Wright is Clearly better than him, and the third best 3B in MLB

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • mysticpiazza

"Wow 17 mil for playing half of a season.... At least Reyes took off due to injuries, what was Writes excuse?"

What half a season are we talking about? 2012, where he practically single-handedly carried the offense through July while guys like Bay, Ike, Duda, etc. were no shows?

Edited 12/1/12   by  mysticpiazza
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • spydermet

"Seriously though, the point is not about him making 17.5 or 20 mil a year, it's about the embedded excuse it gives to the Wilpons for being non-competitive now for the next 5 years."

Reread the title of your thread and first post. You were proven wrong as your assumption of what DW will be making was shown to be wrong and it pointed out that he isn't making much more than other stars not Named Trout or Cabrera, so you want to change the point you were trying to make? Grow up and admit that you were wrong. BTW, Trout does not deserve such a contract after only one year in the Majors. He will be lucky to avg $750 K over this and next yr. He was a rookie and needs to prove consistency over a few years.

• Reply to this Message