• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• If you had to pick one...Dickey or Niese?
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • TheChosen1
Just a hypothetical, but lets say that the Mets were definitely going to trade one of them for 2 solid hitters (OF and/or C), but they decided to let the fans vote on which one to trade and which to keep....how would you vote?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545750.2 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • metthunder
think Mets are gonna save me the trouble of picking
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • joemets22
I'd choose to keep Dickey. But that's purely sentimental.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • bucknerismyhero
I would pick whichever one has less value on the trade market.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 3bwright

Dickey would be the one to go for me

WHY?

Dickey is much older and Niese is under contract for many years out with the 5 year deal plus option years

Dickey does have a very hard pitch to hit (if moving) so that limits the righty lefty difference BUT I do like to have at least one lefty.

With that said, There is not much in terms of lefty SP down in the system - MAYBE Gorski but he needs to show more to me -- early pitched very well and then fell at AA

Of the 2 Niese will bring back more but Dickey bring back ANY Value is a win. IF you remember we signed Dickey as a minor league free agent and he is going to bring back something of need to an organization will alot of them.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • thebobymon

This is totally dependant on the return.

Each would net different caliber players.

But if we boil of reality and say the return is identical then you keep Niese.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

IMO Dickey is more of a sure thing than Niese is.

Dickey was very good in 2010 and 2011, plus amazing in 2012

Niese had one good season, and his whip was still pretty high. I know he Could be getting better but he also could have maxed out. We don't know.

I think if the idea is to compete in 2014 than trading Niese and getting some solid hitters back, and keep Dickey in the rotation will be for the best.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • TheChosen1

All good answers so far. Honestly, I'm torn if we were faced with this decision.

On one hand we have a solid, young lefty who is under control for a few years. On the other we have a one of a kind Ace who will take more money to keep.

In the end though, I guess I would have to agree with what thebobymon said. Whichever pitcher gets us the best return gets traded.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Growenoldr
Hhmmm.... Cy Young winner or consistently middle of the road pitcher? Wow, tough choice...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • AdrianMonk

All things else being equal, I would keep Dickey. He's more of a leader, and gives the team some charcter. Also, I'm not really convinced about Niese. I think he'll be good at times, but could well have periods of regressing, particularly if they leave him in longer.

Another consideration for me is I don't like the idea a rotation filled with players who are going to be around a long time. I think there should always be some fluidity to the staff, with openings developing every year or two, and a competition for the last spot a regular thing. Dickey fits into this situation better for me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • bucknerismyhero
Consistent middle of the road pitcher? Niese is 26, pitched to a 3.4 era last year on a team with terrible defense, and makes little money and is locked up potentially through 2018...Dickey is an older player who is not likely to be here beyond 3 years in any circumstance. Dickey cannot be expected to improve upon what he did last year, whereas Niese has continually trended upward since he came to the Mets. Let's make this out to be a slam dunk. The Mets are not going to be good while Dickey is still here; not that it is his fault, but he turned into a top-end player after most retire.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

"who is not likely to be here beyond 3 years in any circumstance"

Says who? YOU?? If Dickey pitches like he has the guy could be here for another 5-years.

He's a knuckleballer whose MASTERED the pitch. The guy could pitch like he did this year for multiple years, why not?

Niese had 1-good year, Not great. He could get us some serious value in return, offensive value this team truly needs.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • bucknerismyhero
If you would like project Dickey signing two more extensions with the Mets go for it, but as I have stated previous, he is more likely to be traded than kept until he retires. Dickey is a luxury for this team. He is a front-line starter toward the tail end of his career on a team that cannot compete for the playoffs. If we can get a good haul for him, we should do it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

Well obviously Mets management believes they can compete in the next couple years, and Dickey can be a solid part of that team.

The Mets will NOT get a good haul for him because he's a 1-year rental whose 38 years old.

He has more value with the Mets.

He'll be the ace of the staff for the years I believe the Mets will compete in '14/15

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • skorpio520

niese,younger and left handed ,but neise could probably bring back more in a trade....

ug! hard decision but id have too say keep niese.

UNLESS niese will bring us d'arnaud and two top outfield prospects.overall itd be better for the team

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • bbyjean616
The future of the team is whats at stake here. Immediatley I would trade Dickey at 39 years old..... unless somehow Neise gets us a huge return. I was not a fan of keeping Wright, Since he's here, we need to fill a LOT of positions with a little. If Neise can legitimatlly do that in a trade.... he's gotta go
  • Reply to this Message