• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Davidoff: Playoff pieces falling into place........What?
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12

in his article this morning he says David should be optimistic about eventually winning a championship with the Mets BUT at the same time goes on to say that they should sign Dickey as it will give the Mets the opportunity to be a "long shot" playoff contender while Wright is at his best!! (which is true by the way unless the team raises payroll to 130 million or so)

then compliments our infield (as he calls Murphy a good stop gap) and goes on to say that leaves weaknesses in the bullpen,outfield,and catcher and that the Mets FO will almost certainly shop in the bargain basement for FA help because outfield help like Nimmo and catching help like Plawecki are years away (no kidding)

it's been a while since i've seen the headline of an article and the body of it's content be so disparate in nature

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB
well, if EVERYTHING falls into place (Wright hitting .320 30 hrs, Ike hitting 40 hrs, Santana pitching solidly, Niese taking a step forward, Dickey duplicating 2012, Harvey becomes an ace, get a bunch of clutch hitter, Duda hitting 30 hrs) then yea, I can see this team being competitive lol. If this team can just have a maintenance payroll of 120m, we would have a very good team every year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12

you're right we'd need everything you said to happen and more,unfortunately

did you see that the Giants non-tendered Wilson?...he's looking for a relatively inexpensive one year contract being that he's coming off surgery

worth a look as a low risk/high reward kind of player or is even he going to be too rich for us?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB
I would LOVE to see us sign him. He'd be a great high reward type. I'm sure other teams would be interested as well so that means we have no chance.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12
unfortunately that's probably true
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 86kid

>>>"well, if EVERYTHING falls into place (Wright hitting .320 30 hrs, Ike hitting 40 hrs, Santana pitching solidly, Niese taking a step forward, Dickey duplicating 2012, Harvey becomes an ace, get a bunch of clutch hitter, Duda hitting 30 hrs) then yea, I can see this team being competitive lol. "<<<

LOL.. yeah exactly.. not to meantion getting our closer to pitch like Riveria, and Parnell and the rest of the pen to be tops..lol

Duda, assuming he is still here on opening day, really needs to up his game. We can't have Ike as the only other production bat supporting Wright in that lineup.

I feel confident that Ike will show that last year's bad first half was more a result of being out the prior year and then having to deal with valley fever.

I will be most interested to see if Ruben will continue to grow as a offensive player, or whether that last year and a half was just an oasis. I think he might be for real, but I think this year will really show us better waht type of hitter he could be going forward. But defensively, I could not be more pleased with him.

I love Neise, and have from day one. I think he'll do at least as well as this year, and very likely better.

I think this could be a better team this year, but I still think this team will have another transitional year.

Edited 12/1/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 545746.7 through 545746.8 were deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • johnyringo
Dickey has been great for three years now. Not one.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • DFAB

"Dickey has been great for three years now. Not one."

I know...never said he wasn't.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • bbjmparis

longshot playoff contenders? Sure, but everyone needs to have a career year at the same time and/or be a medical marvel and suffer no ill effects from serious injury. For example we could win 90+ if....

1- Dickey goes 22-6
2- Niese continues to improve and goes 18-10
3- Harvey is the real deal and goes 15-7
4- Santana reattaches his arm with some duct tape and goes 14-8
5-Gee is okay and goes 9-8
6-Wheeler takes Gee's spot in August and goes 6-2
7- Everyone in the BP pitches at the best level they everhave, and Mejia and Familia don't
stink as bad as they look like they will
8- Thole hits 270
9- Davis has a Monster year. 280-40-115
10-Murphy is merely a bad fielder and hits 315-with 10 HR's
11-Tejada hits 300, walks more, steals 15 bases.
12-Wright hits 320-25 HR's
13-Torres hits 260-12HR's and steals 25 Bases
14-Dud-A Gets traded and we sign an average mahor league outfielder to replace him
15- Find someone Baxter? who's average in LF.

Could all that happen? Sure, but you could win the lottery too. So sure, it COULD happen. Anything can happen. Odds are about 100-1 against it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • gomets66

Yeah and his first blown save this board will be inundated with "I thought they fixed the pen" "Another blown signing".lol>>>>

whats wrong with that. in 2 off seasons the FO has delivered 2 consecutive dreadful bullpens.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • AdrianMonk
I don't think the Mets will be able to perform to the level that the top teams now look "on paper". Some of them could run into bad luck or simply not live up to expectations though. They could meet us half way.

Edited 12/1/12   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 545746.14 through 545746.15 were deleted
  • 12/2/12
  • CoBrA
nothing falls into place for the mets except mets fans happening to be under some sort of outhouse on stilts and we wind up under there thinking we got out of the rain when we are about to get sh*tted on by the trap door above. That pretty much fell into place
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • MetsMan
Do you realize David Wright has be averaging 18 hrs, 82 rbi, and 290. batting ave over the last three seasons?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • stearnsy12

that certainly could happen but it'd have to happen to quite a number of teams for us to move up into one of the WCs

there's always hope,that's why they play the games and you never know what team will emerge from the shadows and what unbeatable looking team will fail miserably

but the odds don't look good as of this moment,let's hope Sandy can find some way to make us over a bit at the Winter Meetings

• Reply to this Message