• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Will wright regret it?
  • To:All
  • 11/30/12
  • spaceship22

He now is signed for many years,but does he have an out clause? He may regret being stuck on this team if they do not get more offense. the money is great and if he went FA a competitor would have given him similar.

Now he has to hope the mets open up their wallet or else suffer more losing seasons while he gets a pile of money.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • jsmet
I dont think he really cares. He is laughing all the way to the bank now win or lose
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Oldfan
Pretty hard to regret 130-140 mil.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • spaceship22
Not a monetary regret. A regret that he will most likely be on a team that will struggle for what may be many years. The money can be had on teams with better outlooks.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545734.5 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • CoBrA
bro its money, deep down when you really think about it... you don't have anymore worries in your life with basically everything except his health and the health of his family. If i was him at the end of the day, does it really matter if you lost the game? you are 140 million dollars richer
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • spydermet
If he has read all the hate on this board, I'm sure he's regretting it already.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
I think Wright is comfortable being a big fish in a small lake... Besides there is no pressure to win here (and we all know how he reacts to pressure), heck he can even do his tank/whiff boy act, and folks here would still love him... Let him do that on a contender and they would boo him out of town..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • spaceship22

These guys are highly competitive. he could have gotten the money in many places. I am wondering if he felt some overriding sense of loyalty. When all is said and done yes he will have the money. However, being a professional and highly skilled they ALL want that ring.

My point is will he grow tired if the Mets are out of it by July year after year? Would he not even take a little less for a good or great chance at a ring. I do not see that happening here. Guys on MLB werer laughing saying it may take years before a return to playoffs. For them it could be many years before a return to a WS.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • johnyringo
David was a met fan before he was a player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • KLake409

It's always smart to take the Money since they can't take that away from you.

Now if the Mets were smart since they are paying Wright so much money
they should bring the fences in 5 more feet (B.c 25HR to 30HR+ looks a lot better than just 20HRs).

Edited 12/1/12   by  KLake409
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • spydermet
Bring the fences in is getting boring. I guess that will make us a 125 win team? Think about it. If other team don't have a problem beating us with the fences where they are, then we need a change of players not fence dimensions.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545734.13 was deleted
  • 12/1/12
  • spydermet
Lol! That sounds like a good explanation. I think he sees the infield as a warning track and won't be satisfied until the wall is put at the edge of the outfield.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • skorpio520
i dont know but as far as the wilpons regreting it,we will know by 2014 if hes still here.after that he gets an automatic no trade clause.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • HundleytheLFer

<<These guys are highly competitive. he could have gotten the money in many places. I am wondering if he felt some overriding sense of loyalty. When all is said and done yes he will have the money. However, being a professional and highly skilled they ALL want that ring.

My point is will he grow tired if the Mets are out of it by July year after year? Would he not even take a little less for a good or great chance at a ring. I do not see that happening here. Guys on MLB werer laughing saying it may take years before a return to playoffs. For them it could be many years before a return to a WS.>>

He wants to win...but I think he'd rather win here than win somewhere else.

8 years is a long time... a lot can happen in that span.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/2/12
  • abbymart

Agreed, 8 years is eternity in baseball and Mets fans more then anyone should know that...

1968 - 9th place
1969 - World Champions
1983 - 6th place
1986 - World Champions
1996 - 4th place
1999 - NLCS
2000 - World Series
2002 - Fifth place
2006 - NLCS

I'm sure some people will say that prior to those successful years you could "see" real improvement happening even if their record did not show it. I think that's just revisionism

• Reply to this Message