• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Interesting scenario....
  • To:All
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB
If Niese has a monster year next year (18-6, 2.67 ERA, 220 ip, 190 k's), I think that would put him under the "ace" category. Assuming that happened, Niese's value would be through the roof and perhaps the Marlins would be interested in flipping Stanton for him? I think if Niese did have a season like that, the value of Niese and Stanton would be fairly close. I'm not saying Niese WILL have a season like that, but if he did...depending on what the rest of our staff shapes up to be, he might be able to bring back someone of Stanton's caliber. Idk....I just thought it would be an interesting proposal if Niese put up a CY season like that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • thebobymon

Stanton will never be a Met.

Unless he changes his name to Met Stanton.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB
In reality, you are most likely correct. The main point is really just to gauge peoples' opinions on whether or not Niese would have about the same value as Stanton if he put up the numbers I listed. Combine those numbers with the amount he is getting paid and the fact that he is left handed makes him MUCH more valuable.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • cjct

no no no no no

I like Niese as much as the next guy but you would get a quick hang up from the Marlins...a division rival would trade arguably the best power hitter in the entire game for a middle of the rotation type starter.

I like Niese a lot but he is a good #3 on most teams.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB

"arguably the best power hitter in the entire game for a middle of the rotation type starter.

I like Niese a lot but he is a good #3 on most teams."

did you even read my post?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • cjct

yes I did, and if Daniel Murphy had a season where he it 25 HR's 100 RBI and 330 average that doesn't mean we could trade him for stanton.

I think people know Niese is a good young pitcher but Stanton is a once ina decade type power hitter im assuing Harve yor wheeler would be part of any package to acquire that type of bat

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB

once in a decade power hitter?

Braun
Fielder
Kemp
Votto
Cano
Teixiera
Trout
Hamilton
Cabrera
Pujols

That is just 10....don't really think the "once in a decade" thing applies

You called Niese a #3 pitcher despite me giving an assumed season of 18-6 with a sub 2.70 ERA. What pitcher in baseball pitches with those numbers who is a #3? Right now Niese is on the #2/3 leaning closer to a 2. If he has a similar season this year as he did last, then he is a definite good #2. If he pitches to the numbers I listed, then he is an ace.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • AdrianMonk

Niese had a pretty good year, but he also had a lot of starts where he was taken out after six innings. I don't think he can have the kind of year that you are talking pitching this way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB

"Niese had a pretty good year, but he also had a lot of starts where he was taken out after six innings." I don't think he can have the kind of year that you are talking pitching this way."

He still needs to improve on consistency but has improved a lot since they year before this season. Pitching 6 innings is still pretty decent though. I don't think Niese will put up the stats I gave, it was more of a hypothetical. With that being said, if Niese took a big step forward AGAIN and did post a sub 3.00 ERA with 17 or so wins, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Reply to this Message